Yacht Rock?

micpoc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
"NSU" by Cream?

Driving in my car, smoking my cigar,
The only time I'm happy's when I play my guitar.

Singing in my yacht, what a lot I got,
Happiness is something that just cannot be bought.

BTW, I threw up my hands at Eric Clapton when, while writing his autobiography, he talked more about his purchase of a yacht than he did about the joys of playing along to blues albums as a kid. (And while I'm grumbling, wasn't it a lot easier and more fun to pick up a needle and drop it back down into a record's groove to learn a particular phrase? I mean, I've figured out how to loop digital stuff, but it takes two hands and seems to take more time stopping, starting, and pausing than actually playing. :()

From a review of Clapton: The Autobiography

What really develops is a portrait of a pretty self-centered lothario who finds love a difficult ideal to deal with and consequently tramples it at every turn. When he is still in his teens, he impregnates a young girl and doesn't even think twice about it. Later, he bounces from one woman to another, stealing his friend George Harrison's wife, Patti, and then going on to treat her like garbage in an affair littered with drinking and carousing.

In order to further insulate himself from these true human feelings, he wraps himself in his own celebrity. He buys Ferraris, dresses in Armani, buys a 150-foot pleasure yacht, purchases multiple homes, and collects antique watches. There's nothing wrong in this - we'd all do it if we could - but even as Clapton is describing these events, he's hoping the reader will applaud his success when all it does is show what a truly selfish man he is.

https://www.curledup.com/claptonb.htm
No surprise... but it's reassuring, as I never, EVER liked him or his music.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
"NSU" by Cream?

Driving in my car, smoking my cigar,
The only time I'm happy's when I play my guitar.

Singing in my yacht, what a lot I got,
Happiness is something that just cannot be bought.

BTW, I threw up my hands at Eric Clapton when, while writing his autobiography, he talked more about his purchase of a yacht than he did about the joys of playing along to blues albums as a kid. (And while I'm grumbling, wasn't it a lot easier and more fun to pick up a needle and drop it back down into a record's groove to learn a particular phrase? I mean, I've figured out how to loop digital stuff, but it takes two hands and seems to take more time stopping, starting, and pausing than actually playing. :()

From a review of Clapton: The Autobiography

What really develops is a portrait of a pretty self-centered lothario who finds love a difficult ideal to deal with and consequently tramples it at every turn. When he is still in his teens, he impregnates a young girl and doesn't even think twice about it. Later, he bounces from one woman to another, stealing his friend George Harrison's wife, Patti, and then going on to treat her like garbage in an affair littered with drinking and carousing.

In order to further insulate himself from these true human feelings, he wraps himself in his own celebrity. He buys Ferraris, dresses in Armani, buys a 150-foot pleasure yacht, purchases multiple homes, and collects antique watches. There's nothing wrong in this - we'd all do it if we could - but even as Clapton is describing these events, he's hoping the reader will applaud his success when all it does is show what a truly selfish man he is.

https://www.curledup.com/claptonb.htm

I thought we were discussing the musical genre yacht rock, but thanks so much for unburdening yourself.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
I always thought Yacht rock was more preppie rock (Eagles, Jackson Brown, Later Doobies)
pretty Calif stuff.

It can be difficult to separate 70's soft rock and 70's folk rock from yacht rock. In a way, you almost have to go song by song instead of by a particular group. And, some soft/folk rock songs and groups didn't move into the "yacht rock" territory while others, outside the 70's, found their way into common set list. For example, rock acts who recorded Diane Warren songs.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Any relation to "Elevator Rock"?
The summer I was 19 I worked in a godawful non-air conditioned furniture and rug warehouse in downstate Illinois.
We were drenched in sweat with carpet fibers stuck to us all day.
They did somehow manage to pipe in some kind of canned music.
Elevator versions of the Beatles, Beach Boys, and Stones.
Humming along with those sanitized and bastardized renditions of great rock songs helped pass the time.
If there's such a place as hell, I know what they'll have on the Muzak ...

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
Heh. A friend thought he was doing an impersonation of Thurston Howell, but he reminds me much more of Robin Williams' parodies of Marin County upper class swells.
I lived and worked in NYC and Long Island. I can assure you that Locust Valley Lockjaw is alive and well in many executive suites and all along the north shore of Nassau County (see “The Gold Coast”, by Nelson DeMille).

It is there where people having s-x say “I’m arriving! I’m arriving!” 😁

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
I lived and worked in NYC and Long Island. I can assure you that Locust Valley Lockjaw is alive and well in many executive suites and all along the north shore of Nassau County (see “The Gold Coast”, by Nelson DeMille).

It is there where people having s-x say “I’m arriving! I’m arriving!” 😁
Can you point me to an example of 'Locust Valley Lock-jaw'? And where indeed is Locust Valley?

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I don't really know what does or doesn't constitute yacht rock, but I'm pretty sure that if you can hear the voice of Michael McDonald, it's yacht rock. Even the Steely Dan stuff he's on.

A few months ago I found a Doobie Brothers youtube of one of their concerts from about 1980. The opening scene was of a marina. Full of yachts.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
What strikes me is what a poor metaphor or label "Yacht Rock" is. It's almost juvenile in it's application of the English language. Yachts are symbolic of the rich and elite. Yacht Rock is supposed to be a broad category covering soft rock, pop-rock, smooth jazz, smooth soul etc. That's anything but elite and by definition the music has been "softened" up (vs. hard rock) to appeal to a broader audience. It's really kind of sad.

Last edited: