Yacht Rock?

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
The genre name came way after the fact. Ever heard of butt rock?

Makes me wonder if twenty years from now people will be making fun of early 2000s stuff, like pop-punk and that other genre, don't know what it's called, but has pop-punk vocals and the music is kind of acoustic ballady. Think it might still be popular in the US.

Last edited:

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
Played in close proximity to yachts no less ….

the 70s had clearly entered its adult phase ...

Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" popped up in the wake of 70s pop rock and was a hilarious mix of trying to figure out which way the wind was going to blow. So there was this, looking back:

and this, looking back this time to punk and glam

the kids made their choice

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I always thought Yacht rock was more preppie rock (Eagles, Jackson Brown, Later Doobies)
pretty Calif stuff.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
Glen Shorrock is playing a gig up the road from me soon but I'm away for work.. He can still sing

Glen is still doing it. I work with his current bass player.
Glen still sings great.
The Little River band history is such a saga.
Beeb did a tour with the Zoot about 10 years ago.
After Daryl's death they did a Tour with Russell Morris.
At their best The Little River band were a world class act.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
The first Christopher Cross album is a guilty pleasure of amazing guitar players. So smooth.
Hall and Oates had a great backbeat.
Jimmy Buffett still smells funny.

Thanks to Hollywood Steve for the endless dressing room humour.

Flip G

Tele-Holic
"NSU" by Cream?

Driving in my car, smoking my cigar,
The only time I'm happy's when I play my guitar.

Singing in my yacht, what a lot I got,
Happiness is something that just cannot be bought.

BTW, I threw up my hands at Eric Clapton when, while writing his autobiography, he talked more about his purchase of a yacht than he did about the joys of playing along to blues albums as a kid. (And while I'm grumbling, wasn't it a lot easier and more fun to pick up a needle and drop it back down into a record's groove to learn a particular phrase? I mean, I've figured out how to loop digital stuff, but it takes two hands and seems to take more time stopping, starting, and pausing than actually playing. :()

From a review of Clapton: The Autobiography

What really develops is a portrait of a pretty self-centered lothario who finds love a difficult ideal to deal with and consequently tramples it at every turn. When he is still in his teens, he impregnates a young girl and doesn't even think twice about it. Later, he bounces from one woman to another, stealing his friend George Harrison's wife, Patti, and then going on to treat her like garbage in an affair littered with drinking and carousing.

In order to further insulate himself from these true human feelings, he wraps himself in his own celebrity. He buys Ferraris, dresses in Armani, buys a 150-foot pleasure yacht, purchases multiple homes, and collects antique watches. There's nothing wrong in this - we'd all do it if we could - but even as Clapton is describing these events, he's hoping the reader will applaud his success when all it does is show what a truly selfish man he is.

https://www.curledup.com/claptonb.htm