Ya know what?, that 'Lulu' was one hot cookie!

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Screenshot_20200914-000706~2.png

"Ooooh-Poo-Pee-Doop!

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Anybody see her on that PBS oldies reunion show a few years back? She looked and sang at least as good, maybe better, than in her 15-minute prime. Can't say that about any of the others on that show except for the groups that had 100% replacement members.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
She led a pretty wild life. A producer in Hollywood warned her that if she stayed in Hollywood, she'd become a prostitute. She moved to New York and did almost exactly that, well into her 40s.

Rediscovered in the late 50s, she remained an icon...all but penniless until her death. Her book, "Lulu in Hollywood" is considered a "must read".

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
She led a pretty wild life. A producer in Hollywood warned her that if she stayed in Hollywood, she'd become a prostitute. She moved to New York and did almost exactly that, well into her 40s.

Rediscovered in the late 50s, she remained an icon...all but penniless until her death. Her book, "Lulu in Hollywood" is considered a "must read".

I think I read that book years ago, but now I'm not sure.

I read that she once 'shared' a stateroom on an ocean liner to Europe with Chaplin, and the legend is that she only left the room several times during the entire crossing. This could just be BS, but if true, wouldn't be all that surprising.

She was probably twice as intelligent as most of her male companions, and was a talented writer. Too bad she burned out so early, but apparently she wasn't the easiest character to work with either.

Regardless, she was, as they say, very, very, easy on the eyes.

slauson slim

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes she was.

Louise Brooks. Pandora's Box and Diary of a Lost Girl, made in Weimar Germany and directed by G.W. Pabst, are her iconic roles.

Kenneth Tynan's essay about her, The Girl In The Black Helmet, is revealing and wonderful.