1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

xray pics of tele truss rod/ thinline body cavity and ? about the nut seat

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by darylcrisp, Sep 28, 2020.

1. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

so I cut a new bone nut for this AO thinline(OEM was set inboard 1/4" on the low E making the string spacing tighter than it could be, and the high e very close to fret ends).

removed the OEM nut and found the seat of the nut cavity curved(bottom of nut also) to match radius of the FB.
    why do they do this?

For me, a straight seat area is so much easier to cut and keep really dead straight and flat. didn't have anything right off as in a spindle sander to match that 9.5" radius, and I just didn't want to go around the house trying to measure bottles. I cut it by hand and filed away and ended up with satisfactory bottom profile, but goodness a flat seat would be so much quicker and to me just a little bit more depth and solid.

brought it to work and took some xrays to look at the truss rod-thinking maybe it goes up to that area-but no. TR stops about halfway between nut and 1st fret.

thought you'd enjoy the other images of the chambered body-sorry for the artifact looking pics, took these with my phone straight off the screen and those wave artifacts show up in phone pics.

frets look crazy because they are curved and I didn't have the neck parallel to the imaging beam, so you have all these curves not lined up-just wanted a quick look.

Attached Files:

2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Love your X-ray pictures! I used to travel with an electric guitar when I was on long business trips and I once saw my Strat on the X-ray screen as it went through security at Denver airport — very amused to see the skeleton under the flesh so to speak!

Sorry I can’t help with your nut-seat question... I guess for the home guitar modder a flat nut seat is easier but for Fender with their CNCs they can do it either way just as easily.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm no expert, but I think I read somewhere that in the past, Fender used the same machine to cut the nut channel as to radius the fretboard. Maybe these reissues are recreating that feature.

There is an easy way to get the radius on the bottom of the nut blank. Rough cut and file it as you did, then put a strip of sandpaper on the fretboard between the nut channel and 1st fret. There you will have a perfectly radiused profile on which to sand the bottom of the nut.

darylcrisp likes this.
  4. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

2:57 on this video demonstrates this.

darylcrisp likes this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Cool!

This reminds me of a thread on the offset forum where a guy bought a tele deluxe that had been eaten by woodworms

His friend took it to a hospital to be x-rayed

It was crazy you could see all the trails, about an 1/8 of it was eaten up

darylcrisp and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Cool stuff. I guess a sort of panoramic xray device would allow the beam to hit the object perpendiculary across the whole length, so the frets wouldn't show as bowed at the periphery.

darylcrisp likes this.
  7. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dude! Awesome pics! My newest is a thinline in shoreline gold. Cool to see that it’s fully chambered.

darylcrisp likes this.
  8. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Now if we can get a MRI of that guitar......:lol::lol::lol:

El Tele Lobo and darylcrisp like this.
  9. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

I can do a CT (really), but th
    thanks, I should have thought about stewmac, I actually have an account there and have for years-lol
    I was doing this after a weekend of being on call and now that I'm rested I realize I was operating on half a brain.....

thank you for posting this, exactly what I needed that day
    d

KATT likes this.
  10. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

wow, I love Shoreline Gold. if you don't mind, post some pics of it in this thread, I'd love to see it! sure others would also.
    whats the weight on yours?

d

11. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

I think you'd be correct. even with mandolins that only have 13.75" to 14" scale, if they have any radius on the FB its impossible to get them all dead on in line from the side. I've xrayed mandolins a lot to check TR placement because oft mandolin players will want necks reprofiled to change the shape. There's so little wood there at times I don't want to take a risk of thinning out the bottom too shallow. Typically its just removing wood on the sides(shoulders) so that's safer.

ponce likes this.
  12. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

that's crazy sounding, and I bet even more crazy to see it.
    brings to mind PRS put out some cool looking guitars a few years ago from some wood they found in a village somewhere. the wood was siding on little shanty like shacks if I remember correct. I do remember the finished guitars showed nail holes, cracks/fissures , and I'm thinking there was some wood bore insect damage. the guitars looked rad!

the next step for the custom shop-lol

13. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm just chiming in b/c I've been in x-ray school for most of the last 2 years. I have about 2-1/2 months to go. I've been a pretty solid B student through most of the program. I had a 4.0 prior to that...at least as far as my prerequisites go. I previously graduated with a B.A. in English Lit with a 3.91. Even now, I'm trying to keep faith that I will get through...but MAN...I am exhausted, stressed and burned out. Just have to make this last push in the coming 2-1/2 months...pass a few tests for my review class, pass the Registry and get a job. So excited about the field and my new career. Not easy making a major career change midstream, esp. at 48, but God has been with me so far. Just need to hang on and keeping pushing. How long have you been a tech?

darylcrisp likes this.
  14. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Yes, sometimes I wonder if there's a chance for the skunk stripe to crack out under the pressure of rod.

15. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

Not radiusing, but rather fret slot cutting. The neck was mounted on a swinging arm that, with the neck attached, had a swing radius of 7.25. below this swinging arm were 21 thin kerfed slotting saw blades (I presume with no set to the teeth), and one 1/8th inch kerf slotting saw blade (or a stack of blades adding up to 1/8th), all on one arbor. The best way I can describe it is that it is similar to a gang saw. All the slots were cut in one pass.

KATT, darylcrisp and AAT65 like this.
  16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

here's the Xray of the truss rods in my nephews neck..... he's lucky he's still walking and talking...

rolling soft tops down a bank is not a good thing for your head.......

IMG_20161017_175639.JPG

17. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

"why do they do this?"

The nut slot is cut at the same time as all the fret slots, all in a single pass. The blade for the nut slot is like a little dado blade instead of the thin blades for the fret slots.

[​IMG]

darylcrisp likes this.
  18. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

that would be impressive to see!
    thanks for posting, and now it makes sense from a production standpoint.
    d

19. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

thanks for posting this. very cool!
    Has Fender always done it this way(regarding the radius nut seat), watched a video couple months ago where Andertons toured Fender and a lot of the original machinery is still used to make parts and such. it was all very impressive.

d

20. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Cool xrays. There are some xrays of weight-relieved LPs floating around too ...
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.