1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

XGP tele bodies have been restocked. Pull the trigger?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by fleezinator, Oct 30, 2020.

1. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

Looks like I've got bigger problems than the neck pocket holes. It was suggested to overlay a 1:1 printout of the tele schematic over the body and well, it's safe to say, this is going back. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aligning to the pre-drilled string thru holes, my saddles won't make the 25.5" scale length even extended all the way.

[​IMG]

So yeah, this was a nice, fun experiment. /s

And this is a good reminder of why I'm not much of a gamblin man.

2. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

Well friends, seems it's me who goofed (or at least co-goofed; the neck pocket holes still shouldn't be misaligned IMHO).

Gotoh sells a 6 saddle bridge with modern specs (TB-0030-010) and one with vintage specs (TB-0030-001) which I thought I ordered. The body is routed for vintage specs, so guess which bridge this dum dum got? :lol::D:rolleyes:

3. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

And the other thing is - the neck pickup wires get routed through the bridge pickup cavity. Do you really want to loosen the saddles to move them out of the way to get to the bridge mounting screws in order to remove the bridge in order to route the wires just to change the neck pickup? I bought a long bit (not quite long enough but close) to go in through the neck pocket to drill directly through the neck p.u. slot to the control cavity. Or you could do it the classic Fender way with the routed slot. But whatever, it's a pain that shouldn't be.

fleezinator and Telecentric like this.
  4. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I've bought two bodies.

Painted strat body: neck pocket was a bit too small, otherwise no isses.

Unpainted tele body: no issues.

I feel bad for y'all that have had problems, but I love GFS and will keep buying. The neck I bought from them was perfectly ok and a great deal for the money, but I just don't like it that much so will likely stick with MIM Fender necks from here on out.

Sax-son, fleezinator and Weazel like this.
  5. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Have you test fitted the screws in the holes yet? I had to open the holes up a bit on my GFX body because the screws were partially threading into the holes and mis aligning slightly. Once I opened the body holes up to the OD of the screws, it mated with my Warmoth neck perfectly.

fleezinator likes this.
  6. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Guitar Fetish should sell cheap drills & routers on their parts page and make it clear in their body descriptions they might be necessary "to achieve pleasing results".

7. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

I did a toothpick test. The bottom two went in to the neck holes just fine. The top two gave a bit of resistance while the top right went in but definitely at an angle.

So yep, I think it's either your suggestion or plugging & redrilling the top two.
    [​IMG]

Tele_Luvr and Telecentric like this.
  8. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I ordered (2) bodies a strat and tele. I received the strat body, the neck screw holes were out of alinement and the neck pocked was too shallow so the strings were buzzing big time towards the heel of the neck. I sanded the neck pocket down to the standard 5/8" depth, but if the Tele body is the same way, I am just sending it back. Too much work! Because I have not had these kinds of problems previously, I found out too late that there were problems with the routing. I still have some work to do on the strat, but I suppose you have to take to good with the bad on occasion.

9. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

I discovered the neck holes on mine were different than the holes on two other bodies I've had the neck on. So I filled and redrilled the neck, no problem. But, as the post above I'm also thinking the neck pocket might be on the shallow side. Not a problem as long as I can raise the bridge saddles enough, which I think I can.

10. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

That neck screw alignment is a nothing. They're just pilot holes you have to enlarge anyway. Your alignment will be fine. Likewise the bridge pickup route being slightly smaller. It's what you get with a bargain body and I've seen a lot worse than yours. I saw your bridge "issue" right away from the pic and had a chuckle. I think everybody swings at that modern/vintage change-up at least once. As long the body is functional and doesn't have significant cosmetic issues, it's a good body. There's plenty of Fenders out there with slightly misaligned neck screws too.

Be happy and enjoy your build! The issues you point out are just typical of budget bodies. That's all I buy. Warmoth is just too much money and none of my creations are intended as "forever guitars". I have Gretsch, Gibson, Guild and Fender guitars that meet that criteria.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.