1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

XGP tele bodies have been restocked. Pull the trigger?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by fleezinator, Oct 30, 2020.

1. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I used one XGP and it was good for a build I did for my brother. It was one of the few shops I found a vintage white Tele body off the shelf. Dimensionally, it was fine, with a good neck pocket.

E5757A6A-21C9-4A3B-A211-26770B2157B5.jpeg

fleezinator likes this.
  2. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

I ordered a black double bound body on Friday. Can't wait to see it.

fleezinator likes this.
  3. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I went ahead and placed the order along with all the other build parts including a warmoth neck, SD quarter pounds, and a gotoh bridge for just under my budget of $600. Fingers crossed the body is solid!

Nothing left to do but wait and photoshop up some color variations!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I was looking all over for that British Racing Green w double bound.Where is it?

5. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

I think @Crowcaster mentioned a BRG strat earlier in the thread. Are you thinking of that? The one I posted is a mock up of a potential color I might use when I paint it myself.

Crowcaster likes this.
  6. Tele_Luvr

Tele_Luvr TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I ordered one of their new stock XGP Tele necks. I have a GFS Basics neck on a Hadean Tele that I got from rondo that I want to try the XGP neck on.

I didn’t put the Basics neck on very well because it was a very tight fit in the neck pocket and I didn’t want to sand the neck pocket. If I need to sand the neck pocket to accommodate the XGP neck, I will.

And with the XGP neck, I heard that the vintage slot-head 6-on-a-plate tuners fit. Which is good, because I bought one of those for the Basics neck, but it didn’t match the tuner holes in the Basics neck.

No fault of GFS, they don’t say that their 6-on-a-plate tuners fit the Basics neck. But I just kept them, so hopefully they’ll work with the XGP neck (which it says in the description of the neck that they do).

fleezinator and Jim_in_PA like this.
  7. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

I received the body yesterday. It looks good, finish is flawless as far as I can tell and at first glance the holes seem to line up.

fleezinator and GGardner like this.
  8. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I have had a couple of projects on mothballs because I was looking for some inexpensive bodies to mount them in. I just bought both a Tele and Strat from them. I will be caught up after that. Their GFS bodies are fantastic for the money, I don't care what anybody says about them.

fleezinator and Weazel like this.
  9. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Please keep us updated. The double bound black body is the one I've had my eye on too.

fleezinator likes this.
  10. goatofballstreet

goatofballstreet TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

As with anything that lower cost there can be some mishaps but the two bodies I've built on have been great.

fleezinator likes this.
  11. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

There is so much work in finishing and all the rest involved, starting with a junk body makes no sense... unless you get lucky. Every GFS body I have tried has had some issues.

fleezinator likes this.
  12. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

I have assembled about 15 teles (mostly bodies, but some necks too) from GFS, no issue with any of them. Level/crown of course, but you have to do that to some degree with every factory new neck.

I sold a bound sunburst paulownia GFS tele for $400 (converted from NOK) on looks alone. (it also was a really good player).

But now as the freight to europe cost more than the bodies, I've cooled down my business with GFS.

YMMV

Tele_Luvr and fleezinator like this.
  13. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

I got the body today & waiting for the neck to arrive in a few days. I'm not sure what glaring trouble signs to look out for but to my eye, it all looks solid. The string thru holes match up to my bridge but I noticed on the ferrule side, the string thru holes look off center a bit. I'm gonna guess that's not a dealbreaker. We'll see how well the pocket takes the neck soon.

Can someone confirm what wood this is? The product is listed as alder but the (leftover?) description says ash.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

CJT1775 likes this.
  14. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

Looks fine. Once you drive in the string ferrules, they will look fine also. It looks to be alder, not ash though, The grain match on the top pieces looks pretty good. You could do a burst or even a natural over that.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    fleezinator likes this.
  15. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I recently ordered 2 bodies of the new stock for a couple of projects. The Strat body neck pocket wasn't as user friendly as the last batch, but I was able to make it work. I haven't received the Tele body yet, but I think they use different manufacturer for different bodies. All the double bound tele bodies I have received from them have been superb with no issues whatsoever.

16. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

The neck was delivered yesterday and seems to fit in the pocket nice and snug. Not loose but didn't require much force to get into place. The neck itself feels great out of the box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One thing I did notice unfortunately: the neck pocket holes are a little off:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I feel like this should line up better. If I use this as is, the screws will be slightly misaligned to the holes in the neck and end up making them larger than intended & make for a potentially loose fit.

Am I making this out to be a bigger deal than it is, or am I within the tolerances to get a good secure fit?

17. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

If this body is out of the most recent batch of GFS stock, I had the same problem with a Strat body that I ordered. It's not acceptable! For a body that has all the good attention to detail and finish only to be ruined by something as stupid as the neck screw hole to be off center is criminal. That is sheer laziness. Somebody should tell them immediately. Your reputation is only as good as your last batch of product.

I was able to remedy my situation, but it pisses me off when something so simple could have been avoided.

18. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

I learned that the neck pocket isn't a perfect rectangle over here on this thread.

I'm with you. Seems like an easy point of failure to avoid by leaving the neck pocket untouched & letting the end user drill their own holes. Instead, there's now extra effort needed to undo some misalignment. Not the end of the world I guess if you go into this anticipating a bit of labor.

As for the finish, that'll be up to me to ruin ;)

19. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

That's just how mine (avatar) was. I'm sure they drill those by hand, no drill press, no template. Trouble was, I didn't check the alignment first and went & mounted the bridge; it wasn't till I put on the neck I realized the bridge was now 1/8" to far to the right. Had to fill & redrill. So check everything before you power up your tools.

fleezinator likes this.
  20. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, but "for the money..."

Not.

I'm glad other people are having good luck, but I'd rather luck wasn't involved.

fleezinator likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.