1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

XGP tele bodies have been restocked. Pull the trigger?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by fleezinator, Oct 30, 2020.

1. fleezinator

fleezinator TDPRI Member

Been waiting for Guitar Fetish to restock their XGP tele double bound bodies for a few months now and I just got the email the that the stock has been refreshed. Since that time I've been pondering bodies from Hosco, Allen Eden and a full Squier CV 60s as sources to paint (or refin in the case of the Squier) and add an additional route for a middle pickup.

I'm basically after a poor man's version of a double bound Nashville tele that I can paint myself. But all the research I've done says XGP (or maybe bad GFS reviews lumped in with XGP?) is a crap shoot. String thru holes are drilled out of alignment or the neck pocket needs serious work. But there are some with good luck as well.

$75 for the body is a steal if it doesn't have issues... should I roll the dice?

2. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I can only go by the singular XGP body that I have, and the neck pocket and string-thru holes are all fine. The cavity routing is nice and clean, too.

I've got a couple of non-XGP GFS bodies to compare it to, and it's much nicer than they are.

igor5, SPUDCASTER and fleezinator like this.
  3. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum TDPRI Member

I have a 50/50 experience with only 2 necks. One was perfect, one the tuner holes were all wonky. I brought it up and they checked it out- their whole stock was that they. To their credit they pulled them, but it seemed to substantiate to me other people’s findings. They were very nice, but the solutions they offered were not worth pursuing due to the cost of the neck. Lesson learned, and I’ve moved on to buying necks from other vendors as a result. Buying stuff from them was a bit of a nasty habit anyway.

That said- I might be willing to try one of the bodies... I would also be ready to accept the fact that I might have nothing to show for it. I just haven’t needed a body yet I guess.

fleezinator likes this.
  4. Bulldoggio

Bulldoggio Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I got one of those bodies a couple of years ago and it's just fine.

fleezinator likes this.
  5. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

You tell me. Everything fit perfectly, thru holes straight and evenly spaced. Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 9.14.45 PM.png

IMG_4045.jpg

The wood is a little soft, but just be careful threading the screws and it's fine.

I waited months to get it, and it is worth the wait.

6. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have one (a blem) and had experience with 2 more and they were all perfect. Have not had that luck with all GFS products.

If you pull the trigger, check it out thoroughly as soon as you get it and contact support immediately if it is not.

7. Joe D.

Joe D. TDPRI Member

Words of wisdom here.

I bought a Paulownia body, the project was delayed (Had surgery) and it was over a year later when I got the neck and other parts together when the tech who was putting it together discovered the string holes were drilled in the incorrect spot. They would not replace it or give me any credit for a future purchase.

How in the world could those holes be in the wrong spot? If a template was used, the whole run of those bodies were defective!

I ended up buying a body from Warmoth as I was not going to put the wonderful neck I bought from Warmoth on a junk body. One day, I'll get a cheap neck and make it junker for laying around the house.

My 2 cents, I will not be buying anything else from them in the future.

Bruxist and fleezinator like this.
  8. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

String holes are in different places for american standard vs. Vintage or import bridges, correct? Possible you got one for a different type of bridge?

9. Oldsmobum

Oldsmobum TDPRI Member

Looks great!

Telecentric and 39martind18 like this.
  10. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

My partscaster has an XGP body and it's great in both fit and finish. My experience with them as been very positive. YMMV. 20200611_170819.jpg

casey2910, Old Plank and fleezinator like this.
  11. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Here's the POS, er, excuse me, XGP hardtail Strat body I bought from them. I bought the bridge they mentioned in the ad too.

With the bridge that they noted as working with the body, the string through holes had to be modified to work.
    [​IMG]

And here's how the ferrules they sell fit the body
    [​IMG]

At that point I had hit so many other little issues I took the easy way out
    [​IMG]

Yes, I know the work looks like a hack. I was beyond the point of caring here, putting the guitar together was one tweak after another to make things work. Make no mistake, the body SUCKED, with ZERO quality control. There is no way these mistake could be made with CNC so I can only guess they are/were "handbuilt". And they must not have had any fixtures because the errors weren't consistent. And they didn't have even the simplest inspection after manufacturing because even the most simple gauge would show the issues.

I ended up trading this body for a chocloate covered donut, because I really like donuts from the local bakery and this body was a piece of poo.

GFS bodies are a crapshoot. You may well get one that's perfect. You'll probably get one that you'll end up saying "It's a good body... for the price". Or you may get one that requires a lot of work to be useable.

People are much more accepting of junk when it's nicely priced. It's why GFS can keep selling bodies. The sad part is, with even the most basic quality control they could avoid the glaring defects that get sent out. If the one that guy got had no issues, but the one you got required rework to even be functional, is the brand a good brand? Oh sure, everyone has a mistake now and again. But this wasn't a body that had shifted in the CNC machine. This was body that revealed the complete lack of quality control they have in their process.

But it WAS cheap, so there's that.

I don't dislike GFS. I buy hardware from them, and in one case the issue I had with a tuner was taken care of fast with no hassle. But if it's made of wood, it's a crapshoot. They sold me a neck that was listed as blemished. It showed up unuseable as is but since they had listed it as blemished, I was on my own.

My rule: If it burns, do not buy it from GFS. Unless of course you plan on using it as firewood.

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I was tempted by an XGP hardtail Strat body, but I remembered the quality and customer service issues I've had with them and said 'no way.' Looking at reviews of GFS on the Web showed an incredibly high rate of 1-star reviews for them this year. October 2020 reviews were mostly 1-star for both quality and customer service.

Eden told me that they'll get more Strat bodies in November, so I'll give them a try.

fleezinator likes this.
  13. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I just bought a double bound body.We'll see how it is.3 guitars and no problem.

fleezinator and Telecentric like this.
  14. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

I've been really happy with a couple of the tele bodies in the past.

I was hoping not to get GAS looking at them, but I see they have a British Racing Green Strat body, and I probably won't be able to resist.

Coloradotwanger and fleezinator like this.
  15. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I took a look at the thinline body, it looks tempting.

fleezinator likes this.
  16. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Did you consider a top-loader?

17. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

What?

Did you miss where I got a donut for it?

The guy I traded it to put a top loader on it I think. Good for him. In my case I've got no interest in POS guitars that need top loader bridges because the design intent parts don't fit right. The last thing I need is yet another junk guitar I never play. He, on the other hand, now has a guitar he traded a donut for! And it only needed a toploader bridge! Plus everything else.

SuprHtr and USian Pie like this.
  18. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

In my experience, there is a definite difference between the XGP bodies and their “bargain” bodies. I’ve built guitars with both.

The bargain bodies can have issues and may well need work done to them. I’ve made them work but they can be a challenge, and I have had a couple guitars from them where things were drilled a little bit out of place. They’re SO cheap that sometimes it’s worth taking a chance, but you can’t always count on them.

So last year I was building some guitars and I had ordered a few bargain bodies from Guitarfetish, and one of them had a finish issue. I couldn’t get a replacement, so I exchanged it for an XGP body, which cost more but I liked the color.

The XGP body was better by at least an order of magnitude. Better wood, better routing, better finish. Mated up perfectly to a Warmoth neck, without the need for spacers or drastic shims that the cheap bodies sometimes require. I have absolutely no complaints or issues with that body. Granted, it was just one, but I would not hesitate to go with XGP again. In fact, a friend and I are planning a build for him and we’re using one.

fleezinator likes this.
  19. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I assembled an S-type partscaster with an XGP hardtail body, Fender MIM neck, Babicz bridge and 920D loaded pickguard. Perfect fit all the way, done in an hour or so. I have to admit that the end result far exceeded my expectations.

I have a GF non-XGP tele body that's been laying around for about 5 years. I have everything I need to assemble, but it just doesn't get me motivated. If it was one of the XGPs I'd probably feel differently.

fleezinator likes this.
  20. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Meister

XGP Body on this build for a buddy of mine. It was perfect.

IOZcOm.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.