1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Xaviere (Guitar Fetish) guitars -- good, bad?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by fendorst, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fendorst

fendorst Banned

2. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

The Search function is your friend.

I don't own one of these particular guitars, but if you click on the word "Search" (in the blue box towards the top of each page), then enter the word Xaviere in the subject box, and hit return, you'll find that enough information to keep you busy reading until the end of January!

3. touringpro

touringpro TDPRI Member

No Thinline copy here, but I do own an XV820. It was set up wonderfully right out of the box, plays great and is well worth the short $$.

The only thing I couldn't tolerate was the hideous yellowish cast to the neck. A good slathering with Citristrip took care of that tho. :D

[​IMG]

4. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I have the Thinline model. OK out of the box, I bought it in the scratch and dent area @ GFS because I knew I'd mod it. So far I have re cut the headstock to you know what, re finished the screaming yellow to baby or sonic blue, changed bridge to Wilkenson plus the switch and pots etc. but fundementally a fine guitar and it cost me $ 129

Gary

5. fendorst

fendorst Banned

i appreciate the replies.

i did search for threads on xaviere guitars before i posted my query, but asked my question anyway. indeed many threads supply a bunch of information, comparisons to other budget guitars, opinions on all kinds of things from tuning keys to finish to pickups, how other owners modded theirs, customer service (or lack thereof) issues with guitar fetish, etc. all very helpful info.

but i merely wanted to see if any xaviere owners would simply and briefly reply "yes, good guitar, i enjoy it." happily, a couple did.

anyone else happy with theirs -- or not?

as always, thanks for reading.

6. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Any of their T or S copies have a bigger neck ??

7. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

I have the 620 and like it a lot. To me its more like a Tele shaped Dano body with tele guts. I did a few mods to mine. The only thing I "had" to do was change the 500k tone pot to a 250. Everything else I did was purely cosmetic (although I do have a greasbucket harness going in soon)

8. quonsar

quonsar TDPRI Member

I have the XV820 and like it. Only thing I don't like is the bridge pickup sounded weird with the volume control wide open, backed off just a hair though it shapes right up. I'm still experimenting with pickup height and gotten it much better. It's my first single coil guitar in many years, so I have no reference. I bought it to experiment with, so I'll likely try some different pickups, electronics and such. But out of the box, it seems a fine instrument. Very resonant, the entire body vibrates nicely. The 12" fretboard radius felt familiar and comfortable, the neck itself is quite a bit slimmer than the Squier CV I played at the local music shop, which I liked because I'm accustomed to my Hagstrom Swede and its slim neck. All in all, a far better guitar than it's price would have you think, that's for sure!

9. Mr. E

Mr. E Tele-Holic

I have one, thinline. I didn't like it at all. The neck was really thin, neck heavy, not to much resonance, and sucky pickups and electronics. I was really disappointed with the pickups since they were GFS pickups, they're suppose to be good. The nut was also to low, i had to bow the neck to stop the buzzing. I really don't know what to do with the guitar. I wish the neck was interchangable with a fender, but its different sizes.

10. fernando

fernando Tele-Afflicted

Would it be worthy with a new Tele neck? (Allparts, etc)

Did you check the size missmatch? I read old Xavieres had a wider neck pocket but that current production are fine. I'd like to know for shure.

11. Mr. E

Mr. E Tele-Holic

I really don't know how to check. Unless I take the neck off, but I think I will have a problem though. The 22 fret doesn't hang like other fenders. I will have to adjust it to get it to the right scale.

12. Kerouac

Kerouac TDPRI Member

I have a 620 and it's my main teaching guitar. This freaks a lot of people out, but I picked mine up in July of '08 and have logged about 25 hours a week on just that particular instrument... still on the original strings. :p Fretwork on mine is fine, but the tuners are a bit stuff. The poly on the neck is thick, but feels pretty nice.

I'm really happy with it, regardless of what I paid. It inspires me to pick it up and play... if it does the same for you than it's money well spent. :)

13. Notalent

Notalent Former Member

My experience...BAD! Tele thinline copy, with p90s, it wound up in the fireplace, seriously.

14. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I got the knockoff Jazzmaster with the P-90s recently. I wasn't expecting the world for a $205.00 guitar but there are some serious issues. First, the neck pocket was cut for a guitar with a knock-off Fender bridge. However the guitar has a pseudo-Mosrite style bridge with high roller saddles. Stock, at the bridge's lowest setting, the action was unbelievably high. I had to shim the bejesus out of the neck to make it playable. The nut slots were poorly cut. The A string sits much lower than the rest, thus necessitating raising the action to make it not buzz out. The fret work between the 12th and 17th frets is abysmal. The roller saddles buzz on the E and A strings (a little Chapstick can fix that). The pots are full sized, but so tight that you won't be doing any volume swells or faux wah moves with your pinky. The good parts are that the roller bridge/graphite nut system makes for a pretty stable trem. The spring is string enough to eliminate most trem gargle with standard light guage strings. The pickups, while microphonic, sound really good. I will eventually polish this turd. It looks cool and sounds great. I like the Jazzmaster style trem. It will eventually be perfect for bashing out Link Wray instrumentals. It's not really a guitar as much as it is a collection of low end guitar parts.

15. tgfmike

tgfmike Telefied Gold Supporter

Never bought one. After looking at them for weeks I decided I'd cough up the extra $60 and get a Squier standard tele instead.

16. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

:cry: [​IMG]

17. keeffan

keeffan Tele-Holic

I think with something that cheap its a bit of a quality crap shoot......

You guys that don't yours, I'll be glad to give you my shipping address!;)

18. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

I own one and it was what made me decide to never buy another "cheap" guitar. Not that it was that bad, but for me "inexpensive" and "good" just don't go together. I take my music seriously, and for me they sound and feel like toys. "Pretty good for the money" just doesn't cut it anymore. I would rather save my money for a high quality instrument,

19. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My Main St. ($89.00 & $28 S&H) was fine. My SX Three pickup T-Style ($178.46 shipped in a hard shell case) is a great guitar. My Affinity BSB Tele is great for $180.00. It depends on what you get and how much you want to tweak it. Cheap can be perfectly fine. That said, I have never played an Xaviere and there are POJ's out there.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Be careful.

That plastic goo could end up all over the lining of your chimney. And end up costing you even more lost money.

I would have run it through a big wood chipper, with the other brush.

:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.