1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

X-Files

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Deckard, Jan 24, 2016.

1. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, that is the crazy part, they were just placebos.

Mulder is just that crazy on his own.

:D

That, or Einstein was lying to save her job. :confused:

2. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

The last two episodes haven't been my favorites, as far as story lines, but there have been some great moments.

3. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I have been enjoying the new episodes. The latest one that had Mulder and Scully working with 'younger versions' of themselves was hilarious.

I like that the writers seem to have their tongues in their cheeks for this reboot. It's very funny, and seems like it will be a better send off for the series than the slow and painful death it had for those last couple seasons. No offense to any Agent Dogget fans... if there is such a thing :p

4. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I liked Agent Doggett.

5. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I did too. The trouble was that as great as Robert Patrick is, he couldn't fill the gap. I always thought they should have waited a year and done 'x-files: the next generation' with a new mythology.

But I thought him good.

6. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

I like your "X-Files: TNG" idea! It could happen!

I don't have anything against the actor who played Doggett. But for me, the Fox Mulder character is the X-Files, so once he was gone I lost interest. Maybe if I first saw the X-Files after Duchovny left, it would have been ok...

But I am slowly working my way through the old series on Netflix, so Doggett will get another shot with me.

7. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

They really seemed to be jumping the shark on that last one.

8. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Episodes 1, 2 & 4 were mediocre. Episode 3 was good. Episode 5 was a piece of crap.

JMO.

9. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

By choice, I don't have cable TV, but have managed to catch the first four episodes of the new series, to this point. For obvious reasons I am avoiding reading current posts in this thread.

No big sweeping review from me, but I am generally quite pleased with what I've seen. Even back during the heyday of the show, some episodes were great, some were okay... I'm just happy to have those guys around again. Self-deprecating humor seems to be a dying art, and Mulder's sometimes pensive, often jaded and cynical musings and recollections on the validity of his own career are refreshing to me.

I like that the theme music and opening visuals are exactly the same as I remember, and that the same actors have been brought back for some major characters. I bailed before the post-Mulder/Doggett episodes, so for me, it's like they picked up exactly where they left off - our heroes are just a little older!

Long live Scuzzy & Mulcher!

10. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

Spoilers with some episode discussion!

Just watched the latest episode, Babylon. I loved it, but I could see how some could view it as hokey, jumping the shark, or just too obvious. There were a lot of predictable moments to me, but I still enjoyed it.

SPOILERS ahead......

I realized at the end, there were heavy connections to the previous week with Scully's Mom passing and her last words, what they meant. I thought it was clever how they tied that in to the terrorist's Mom and how she spoke to her son before he died. It all came full circle at the end when Mulder speculates on the role of "Mother" in the grand scheme of things. I thought this was brilliant, and really the whole gist of the episode, if not the series, life in general. I love this sort of stuff. I've always questioned things of this sort and have struggled to grasp some sort of understanding of it all. I can't get into specifics here, as it would go against forum rules, but this episode seemed to remind me a lot of the overall Doctor Who theme, and many other Sci Fi shows, in that there's a big picture of sorts out there, and as humans we are constantly struggling to gain knowledge and comprehension of it.

In any case, I loved this ep and will definitely watch again.

11. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

RE: Babylon. I thought the "new" team were a bit weak. Neither did anything that made me care about them. Mulder grooving on (or not grooving on) shrooms was kind of brilliant. Overall the episode made sense in the XF universe and I liked it.

Anyone see the episode tonight? I can wait to give my opinion, if you'd like, but I'll start by saying MAN THERE WERE A LOT OF COMMERCIALS! WHAT WAS UP WITH THAT?

12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I saw the intro series opener, but, I will try to see more.

Someone said Babylon

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  13. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm enjoying getting to spend some time with old and beloved characters, but it's missing some key ingredients and that problem is making for some mediocre television. In Babylon, Einstein has no motivation to change her mind and go along with Mulder's plan, yet the story doesn't move along without it. They dropped the ball on the Einstein connection as well, and could have done so much more with the doppelgangers. Mulder's trip was fun, but not enough to make a great episode.

They started off well in the first episode with the government conspiracy, showed the smoking man, etc., but that was followed by mediocre monster of the week episodes.

What we're getting is way better than most of what's on television, but are not making for good X-Files episodes.

14. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Star David Duchovny had some sage Mulder-type words for fans, tweeting, "In X files, as in life, seems the more answers we get, the more questions we have. Agree? Happy season finale, thanks for being there 2moro."

15. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

Did not like the finale at all. X-Files never succeeds when it tries to go "big." I think that's why the movies were so quickly forgotten. The story line seems straight out of Austin Powers.

16. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Tele-Meister

Personally, I've found the whole thing pretty much unwatchable. I think it's great that many liked it, not a slam on them at all; it's just that to me, the only thing worth doing would have been to move the mythology forward (and in a direct way). I thought maybe that is where it would head when early on there was so much emphasis on William, his whereabouts, and so forth. Instead, there has been the dusting off of old characters, putting them right back in their familiar places (Mulder and Scully back in the basement? Good grief...), and chasing monsters. If more of substance happened after Episode 3, I apologize for my ignorance as that's where I just gave up.

Maybe it's just me, but there seemed to be an air of self-conscious deprecating humor, almost a campy attitude, that pervaded the episodes I was able to watch that made unable to get lost in the story (without which, to me, there's no point in watching).

Oh well, there are always Fringe re-runs...

17. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

The final episode was good, but the ending was disappointing. Clearly there are more to come. Or they are a-holes :p

18. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

At least it didn't end in some stupid diner with a Journey song.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

That was such a lame cop-out. At least it wasn't Dexter ending bad though.

20. freshchops

freshchops Tele-Meister

I think it's a "good-enough" re-boot, maybe for being a die hard fan. Grew up watching the original... but, I agree with this wholly. It's a lot better than most tv shows and they're done a good job of somewhat retaining the original "film" look, not going overly CGI and HDR-HD looking. That's it's biggest plus. But the content, it does feel campy where the original was sometimes dark and eerie as *****. All things considered, I couldn't expect anything less or more 20 years later. I guess I'm just glad they're doing 'em. It's the only show on TV that I actually watch habitually.

Probably alone on this one but I loved Californication and got so used to (David's) Hank Moody character so much that I have a hard time shaking Hank Moody when I see Mulder.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.