WTF. There are two Lucky Dog Teles for sale currently on my local Craigslist!

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
Buy ‘em both, why don’t ya.

I think I've paid less for cars than the cost of both of those combined, haha. The Evangelist is beautiful though. Those sellers would move those so much faster on ebay or reverb. I just can't figure out why they'd want to go through Craigslist and deal with tons of lowball offers from guys who don't know what these are.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Isn't he the guy who started out selling partscasters using Allparts necks?
Seems like that's how the name got known on forums?
Controversy?
I'm not seeing why these are worth $2000- $4000 second hand when everyone scoffs at a used custom Warmoth for $800?
What am I missing that makes these that special?
Fender copy solid bodies don't really get better after $1000- $1500, IME, aside from famous name collector value?

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
Isn't he the guy who started out selling partscasters using Allparts necks?
Seems like that's how the name got known on forums?
Controversy?
I'm not seeing why these are worth $2000- $4000 second hand when everyone scoffs at a used custom Warmoth for $800?
What am I missing that makes these that special?
Fender copy solid bodies don't really get better after $1000- $1500, IME, aside from famous name collector value?

Well, these are good questions. I don't really know the builder's history and I've never held one of these things in my hands. But I do know that people go bat&#$t over them and snap them up instantly whenever he lists them for public sale. Does anybody on the forum own one?

Aesthetically he really knocks it out of the park on some of them, but I have to believe it isn't aesthetics alone that people are willing to shell out 3K - 4K for.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

Wildeman

Tele-Holic
Not even close to what i was thinkin....
Screenshot_2021-12-14-20-10-37-1.png

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, and no offence to those who like these, but they both poke my eyes out with their garish looks.

Not only are they both aesthetically offensive to me, but the T-type one looks odd and out of whack somehow. Mostly to do with the pickups I think. At some angles, the bridge pickup looks like a high rise.

And I simply can't understand how these could be imagined as worth anything other than ugly parts caster prices. I could buy a nice looking used Custom Shop Tele here in the land of expensive right now for a thousand bucks less.

Sorry, but that's how I see it.

Pax/
Dean

Last edited:

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, and no offence to those who like these, but they both poke my eyes out with their garish looks.

Not only are they both aesthetically offensive to me, but the T-type one looks odd and out of whack somehow. Mostly to do with the pickups I think. At some angles, the bridge pickup looks like a high rise.

And I simply can't understand how these could be imagined as worth anything other than ugly parts caster prices. I could buy a nice looking used Custom Shop Tele here in the land of expensive right now for a thousand bucks less.

Sorry, but that's how I see it.

Pax/
Dean

No offense taken here. Different strokes for different folks. This guy has built up a huge successful brand though and his guitars are in the hands of some well known players. He's not quite the same thing as your everyday no-name partscaster builder.

Rosewoodtele

TDPRI Member
I’m in St. Louis but I’ve never heard of lucky dog guitars.

Missouri is home to both K-line guitars and MJT. Are lucky dog a St. Louis brand?

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
That burst looks thicker than normal. Call me crazy but to me calling anything a Tele without the Tele body shape is ridiculous. Offset Tele? Nope. I don’t have a problem with the guitars, just calling them a Tele. That first one is a Strat.