WTF railroad crossings.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RottenTheCat, Feb 18, 2020.

1. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

As much out in uncharted territory that I am, there are several gated RR crossings. I'm about 1/3 mile from the tracks, so pretty much, to go anyplace toward civilization, I need to cross one of those crossings. No big deal, usually. Car/truck traffic is mostly really light except for that 6am and 5pm slot when folks are trying to get to and from work spots.

So here's the thing. I have begun to notice really strange timing of the gates. All the crossings have big gates on the oncoming side, and little gates on the opposite side of the tracks. When a train approaches, usually at about 65mph, we get 20 seconds of "bell, flashing lights, then gates down" before the train is at the crossing. The large gates go down first, immediately followed by the small gates. But, when the train passes, it takes a full 40 seconds after the train has left the crossing area, before the small gates go up, and then another 15 seconds until the big gates go up.

Yes I've timed 'em.

So last nite, I happened to need to go to the bank to arrange cash and checks and such, and a train came by just as I was walking over (different) tracks. Same 20 seconds of "warning" before the train was at the crossing. This crossing had "big gate" only, on the approaching side, and nada on the opposite side. When the train passed, it was 5 seconds before the big gate lifted.

I was thinkin'... well that's more like it!

Anybody RR savvy and can 'splain this all to me?

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the gate timing might be set to allow for really long trains?...

3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Wish I saw more RR trains. Something about the long lines of cars and the sounds off in the distance.

kuvash likes this.
  4. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

One of my favourite expressions to describe certain people I have met over the years:
    The gates are down, the lights are flashing, the bells are ringing, but the train ain't coming

5. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Nah, I've noticed the same on shorties and pretty long ones. Occasionally we'll get a train come thru that has well over 100 cars... most of the time, I'm guessing here, in the 30ish range of cars. I know the well over 100, because I've started to count 'em after a bunch has gone thru

6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Generally, from what I've seen (and I have a train fetish), the gates lower a good 20 seconds before the train gets there, but they raise back up immediately after the last car passes.

kuvash likes this.
  7. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Yah, that's what got me goin... the long delay

8. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Single or double track?

9. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

There's a low level current running through the tracks that triggers the train signals and gates. When a train enters the block it sets the train signals opposing the train that a train has entered the block and triggers the gates. The gates are usually manually (old days) configured by maintenance of way blah blah.

10. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Believe it’s a law not to even cross while lights are flashing even when the gate is lifted and train has passed. I’m sure it’s all timed by some kinda current or trigger.I’m sure they all vary might be set standard time for each gate. Need to ask a guy that works in signal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.