WTF is with people at live shows?

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
After all these post with middle aged and seniors whining about the talking and hollaring and all kinds of loud, obnoxious behavior, at almost 70 I only have to say concerts and shows are really for the younger set. They go to see acts like Dylan, the Stones and the Who just to say they saw them in concert, not because they're so good, hell they're 80 years old. And just like them I'm sure when you were young you were just as loud and obnoxious as you see them. I know I was. I didn't go just for the band I went for the social setting with others in my age bracket and chicks and pot and maybe some beer. If I really wanted to hear the music I could put an eight track in the player in my Ranchero and ditch class and smoke a joint with my pals, and talk about how much getting drafted and going to Vietnam was going to suck. There's no reason for an old man to waste $100 or more for a ticket to see some other old dude play a guitar and sing. I can hang out with my pals have a beer play guitar and sing a few songs. Doesn't cost a dime. And when one of those kids is bothering me I just tell them to go get grandpa and the gang all another beer. Sometimes they even request we do that one Doors song. Cool.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My ex-wife would talk to me through most of a show and quite frankly I drove me insane. We’d be sitting in there listening to David Bowie and she’s yapping in my ear and I never had it in me to turn to her and say dear and I need you to be quiet but good God. David Bowie is 100 feet in front of you going through hit after hit after hit and someone’s going to be in your ear.

I think that as musicians, we really want to listen to the music deeply and truly and there are other people who don’t feel that way. They don’t have the emotional connection. They think they’re at a club.

my ex used to drive me nuts at a show. Over and over and over and over. When we went to a movie she didn’t talk but at a concert she never stop talking. Go figure.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
Hey! When you are young, concerts are fun because it's an event when you can really let your hair down. I don't begrudge young folks for having a good time because there is really only a short window of time when you can really do that. I used to love large crowds and events at one time in my life, but now that though gives me the "willies". There is a time in one's life when concerts are a big deal and another time in your life you might say " Nah! I've been there and done that".

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey! When you are young, concerts are fun because it's an event when you can really let your hair down. I don't begrudge young folks for having a good time because there is really only a short window of time when you can really do that. I used to love large crowds and events at one time in my life, but now that though gives me the "willies". There is a time in one's life when concerts are a big deal and another time in your life you might say " Nah! I've been there and done that".
I’ve been thoroughly enjoying live music for decades and the though of someone thinking they’re “too old” for it makes me really sad.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
So people record the show on their phones. How often do they go back and watch it?
They don’t watch it themselves. They use their photo/video library to hold you hostage while they swipe scroll through 9,000 images to find the one they want you to be impressed with. Wait, no no no that’s not it, wait wait, oh here’s my cat, wait wait, ok here’s the concert, oh that ones blurry, wait wait, the guy in front of me had his phone in the way, wait wait, here it is, that’s Mick Jagger can you believe it, wait wait I have a better one

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
A sign in my office, right behind my head:

81BB4794-C586-4E27-8240-8BFF4150C60B.jpeg

Mike H.

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
The age of smart phones and social media has ruined a lot more than just the concert experience.
Technology has been both a blessing and a curse for many aspects of our lives.
That's all I have to say about that.

howlandwolf

TDPRI Member
This is an epidemic in Atlanta. It’s particularly galling when a band plays a quiet section of a song and the whole crowd takes that as their cue to start running their mouths.
Chastain Park is the worst. Like, there’s Ricki Lee Jones, legend, standing not twenty feet from us, killing, and there’s just a sea of normies yakking away. “Jesus, it’s Chuck E!! she’s playing the one song you know and you still won’t shut up!!”

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
Chastain Park is the worst. Like, there’s Ricki Lee Jones, legend, standing not twenty feet from us, killing, and there’s just a sea of normies yakking away. “Jesus, it’s Chuck E!! she’s playing the one song you know and you still won’t shut up!!”
I’ve seen Neil Young stop his show at Chastain and reprimand the audience. It’s so common at that venue that I rarely go there anymore. I miss several artists each year that I’d like to see because of it.

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
Shame gigs are so quiet that people Chat. I want them loud so that I feel the kick drum in my gut and the snare punches me in the face. Everything is so polite and boring now. So people chat like it’s a restaurant.

And I only watch movies with my wife at home that she has chosen because she can’t help talking all the way through about the film and then constantly rewinding because she didn’t hear the dialogue! Every movie lasts 3 hours.

I still Love her but I watch movies I really want to see by myself with the lights out. And. Silence.

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
They don’t watch it themselves. They use their photo/video library to hold you hostage while they swipe scroll through 9,000 images to find the one they want you to be impressed with. Wait, no no no that’s not it, wait wait, oh here’s my cat, wait wait, ok here’s the concert, oh that ones blurry, wait wait, the guy in front of me had his phone in the way, wait wait, here it is, that’s Mick Jagger can you believe it, wait wait I have a better one

Forty years ago it was the same way with audio cassettes. When someone said "there's this song I need you to hear" and then produced a cassette, you knew you were in for minute after minute of them fast-forwarding and rewinding to try to find the song. "No, that's not it, just a sec..."

Technology allows people to find new ways of showing how bloody annoying they are.

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
I am going to see Bob in June in San Diego (anyone else?)

I last saw him in October 2019, a great show. No talking near me then that I can recall.

Someone mentioned earlier they didn’t like a Bob show in late 2019. I will admit that Bob shows can be hit or miss, but most of late have been great.

While there are perhaps some shows which are exceptions, in general it is rude and selfish to talk during the performance (other than between numbers) or to sing (or play) along with the band. I really hate that, and it happens all too often.

I don’t go to many shows any more for that reason, among others. When I do go anymore, it’s usually to a jazz show but I cannot miss seeing Bob when he comes here, which is somewhat rare. I just hope the crowd will not be chatting much during the show.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Shame gigs are so quiet that people Chat. I want them loud so that I feel the kick drum in my gut and the snare punches me in the face. Everything is so polite and boring now. So people chat like it’s a restaurant.

And I only watch movies with my wife at home that she has chosen because she can’t help talking all the way through about the film and then constantly rewinding because she didn’t hear the dialogue! Every movie lasts 3 hours.

I still Love her but I watch movies I really want to see by myself with the lights out. And. Silence.
There’s indeed something to your position!
These days (there I go;)) everything and everybody is controlled by someone or something else.
Spontaneity, exuberance and magic suffer.
The city has a decibel level ordinance, the venue has an all-powerful sound man, everybody has an opinion/agenda that must be adhered to.
Rock is dead.
Long dead.
Cooperate or find another form of expression.
OK.
I’ll play ball.
It’s that, or become a folkie.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
Forty years ago it was the same way with audio cassettes. When someone said "there's this song I need you to hear" and then produced a cassette, you knew you were in for minute after minute of them fast-forwarding and rewinding to try to find the song. "No, that's not it, just a sec..."

Technology allows people to find new ways of showing how bloody annoying they are.
There’s a Twilight Zone episode where a husband & wife are showing another couple their Hawaii vacation slides. One couple is in heaven, the other is in hell.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Good to know I'm not alone. Adding to the joy of the experience, my wife is a little clumsy with the remote and generally rewinds a good 5 min farther back than needed. Ain't love grand?;)