WTF is with people at live shows?

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
I am not old (48) but I have feel that I have the right to ***** about certain things that just boggle my mind/frustrate me when I see it so, here goes.

My wife and I went and saw Bob Dylan last night, which was great. It took a few tunes to get the mix dialed in but when they finally did, it was fantastic. Bob's voice sounded better than I've heard it before (including on record). Maybe he's aging in to it? He is 80 (or 81) now. Lyrics were crystal clear and the new material is just fantastic, with a killer band.

Now, the rant. WTF is it with people paying money to see a show and sit there and talk through most of it? In a club or bar I can see it but, at a Dylan show? You paid decent money to see him and yet you are going to sit there and chit chat about stupid things that have NO relevance to what is happening in the moment. Have the fact that we are constantly looking at screens in our day-to-day lives really shortened our attention span that much? Are people that self-absorbed? Can't anyone just sit still and enjoy live music which we haven't had for almost 2 years? Now, this was limited to just a few seats around where my wife and I were sitting but I am sure it wasn't just there.

Kudos to Bob too for having a strict no phones, period policy. I saw a few people sneak a few pictures during the show but the venue ushers were on them ASAP. "Sir if you take your phone out again, you will be asked to leave the show". Now that, I like.:twisted:

My wife made a good point about the benefit of seeing an outdoor show, with lawn seats which is: if you don't like the people who are sitting around you for whatever reason, and the show isn't super packed, you can move away from them. Unfortunately in an auditorium show, like last night, you can't.

I know I am not the only person who has experienced this at a live show so, let's hear it.

I should also add that this one of the things that can be really distracting for me as a musician, when playing a bar/brewery/coffee shop gig: the constant background noise. It's hard blocking that out, hearing yourself and trying to make good music at the same time.

Last edited:

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My blood pressure rises when folks feel moved to stand up and boogie for the rest of the show. It's' like, do you not realize that there are people behind you? Trying to see what they paid to see? I've seen these boogers react to polite requests to sit down with the raised middle finger, obscenities, etc. Too bad tasers are screened out at the entrances . . . . .

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
They're the special people-social courtesies, rules and laws don't apply to them. They've got their rights and their freedoms and they're damn well gonna exercise them whether it interferes with your enjoyment of the show or not. They're the same folks who park in the fire zone instead of the empty parking space 10 feet away just because they can. The same folks who refuse to practice simple driving rules because, because?...hey, mind your own business!:rolleyes:

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Same happened to me in a Clapton show around 15 years ago. In the nose bleed section, I could hardly hear the band for the audience. During "Cocaine" some 12-year-old kid was yelling all the words... so obnoxious.
I don't know why Clapton was playing at the middle school but you and you pals should have got that kid over at the monkey bars at recess and punched him in the stomach.

Matt Sarad

Tele-Afflicted
At the Molly Tuttle show in Morro.Bay, I turned to the gal behind me and asked her to please stop talking. She gave me a hug and said" We young people like the Dead too."
I told her to ****.
She and her loudmouth friend disappeared.
It was the worst bar crowd I have ever experienced.
Noise from start to finish.

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
My blood pressure rises when folks feel moved to stand up and boogie for the rest of the show. It's' like, do you not realize that there are people behind you? Trying to see what they paid to see? I've seen these boogers react to polite requests to sit down with the raised middle finger, obscenities, etc. Too bad tasers are screened out at the entrances . . . . .
Seriously considering a pea shooter... Plastic straw and a pocket of dried peas.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I am not old (48) but I have feel that I have the right to ***** about certain things that just boggle my mind/frustrate me when I see it so, here goes.

My wife and I went and saw Bob Dylan last night, which was great. It took a few tunes to get the mix dialed in but when they finally did, it was fantastic. Bob's voice sounded better than I've heard it before (including on record). Maybe he's aging in to it? He is 80 (or 81) now. Lyrics were crystal clear and the new material is just fantastic, with a killer band.

Now, the rant. WTF is it with people paying money to see a show and sit there and talk through most of it? In a club or bar I can see it but, at a Dylan show? You paid decent money to see him and yet you are going to sit there and chit chat about stupid things that have NO relevance to what is happening in the moment. Have the fact that we are constantly looking at screens in our day-to-day lives really shortened our attention span that much? Are people that self-absorbed? Can't anyone just sit still and enjoy live music which we haven't had for almost 2 years? Now, this was limited to just a few seats around where my wife and I were sitting but I am sure it wasn't just there.

Kudos to Bob too for having a strict no phones, period policy. I saw a few people sneak a few pictures during the show but the venue ushers were on them ASAP. "Sir if you take your phone out again, you will be asked to leave the show". Now that, I like.:twisted:

My wife made a good point about the benefit of seeing an outdoor show, with lawn seats which is: if you don't like the people who are sitting around you for whatever reason, and the show isn't super packed, you can move away from them. Unfortunately in an auditorium show, like last night, you can't.

I know I am not the only person who has experienced this at a live show so, let's hear it.

I should also add that this one of the things that can be really distracting for me as a musician, when playing a bar/brewery/coffee shop gig: the constant background noise. It's hard blocking that out, hearing yourself and trying to make good music at the same time.
Just take comfort that in twenty years, when they go back to see Dylan again, the same talkers today will be frustrated by the NEW young talkers disturbing them. :(
No....there seems to be a new level of rude people everywhere today. I NEVER talked at a music performance back "then"....but I probably did other rude stuff.

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
At the Molly Tuttle show in Morro.Bay, I turned to the gal behind me and asked her to please stop talking. She gave me a hug and said" We young people like the Dead too."
I told her to ****.
She and her loudmouth friend disappeared.
It was the worst bar crowd I have ever experienced.
Noise from start to finish.
Hippies are such frauds. I had a similar experience at a Medeski Martin and Wood concert. It was in a park as part of the Atlanta Jazz Festival and the group of young hippies in front of us would not shut up. We asked them to please be quiet so we could hear the music. Instead of being more quiet they ended up leaving, and left behind an entire six person picnic worth of garbage.