1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wrong Fuse?? Harmful??

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Joe M, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Joe M

Joe M Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    As most of us do, with way too much time on my hands, I find things that I probably never would normally...latest discovery, for whatever reason, I checked the fuse in one of my amps. Says it’s supposed to be 1.5 amps, slo-blo; the one in the amp is 1 amp, slo-blo. I know you should never use a higher value fuse, any problem with the lower value?

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

No, but it means it may blow when it really should not.

The danger is when a fuse with a higher amperage rating is used. Example: in the old days of glass fuses (before circuit breakers) were used in power panels for homes, it was sometimes a "quick fix" to place a penny behind a blown fuse when a spare fuse was unavailable. Many houses caught fire as a result.

Slo-blo is necessary because amps can draw transient current far in excess of the normal operating current of a circuit. The 'slo' type requires an extended over-draw condition to blow. If the amp calls for a 1.5A slo fuse and you install a standard fast-acting fuse rated for 1.5A, chances are good it will blow in use.

3. elpico

elpico Tele-Afflicted

The smallest fuse you can get away with (without nuisance failures) is the safest fuse, regardless of what it says on the amp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.