Wrap it Up! (non Tele content)

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by SBClose, Feb 14, 2020.

1. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Back in the day I was smitten with an original early 60’s Danelectro that belonged to my guitar teacher. He offered to sell it reasonably, but I couldn’t swing it. Fast forward a decade and the Dano re-issues hit the stores. A generous friend bought the last one at a local music shop and gave it to me as a birthday gift. The Copper-Burst paint (I called it Flesh-Burst) was an explanation for it being the last one on the rack. Of course, I pinstriped it in an attempt to distract from the visual offence.

16 years later, I had moved on to Teles and others that were a lot easier on my eyes, but nothing sounds like two lipsticks in parallel. So, I embarked on a quest to smack the ugly off my U2 re-issue.

I went with a vinyl wrap rather than a paint job. Basement. Michigan. Winter.

The factory paint on the neck just laughed at the citrus paint stripper I bought for the project but yielded to 220 grit and a LOT of rubbing. Again, Basement. Michigan. Winter.

I finished the neck with six coats of Tru-Oil.

The wrap on the body and headstock went great! The heat gun was my friend in getting the material to yield to the contours of the body. I butted some black pinstripe tape to the cream vinyl binding on the sides and striped the body with One Shot. I also wrapped the pickguard in black for some contrast and added black and chrome knobs to the mix. I had to make shims for the knobs as the bore was oversize for the pots.

Danos have intonation issues. For some it’s part of the charm, but I was this far into it and decided to look for improvement. I added Jeff Senn/CJ Guitar Tooling bridge and Wilkinson compensated Tele saddles to get it to be a bit happier with itself.

All the electronics are stock save for a replacement switch bought at an auto parts store.

Now it looks as good as it sounds.
    IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1761.JPG IMG_1763.JPG IMG_1764.JPG IMG_1765.JPG IMG_1781.JPG

idjster likes this.
  2. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Nice!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.