Wow, Vox Pathfinder 15R through a 12" cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jazzerclean, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:52 AM.

1. twimsatt

twimsatt TDPRI Member

I hafta say this is one of my favorite little amps. I used to see them occasionally in the shop when I was doing repair and loved to "test" them ;-) Sorry I didn't pick one up then. I have a Fender Frontman 15G that I like to play in the house. I would bet it would be cool with a decent 10" or 12" spkr cab, as well. A tiny stack with the combo at the top would be cool looking.

Jazzerclean and PhredE like this.
  2. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

I take the line out of my PR15, run it into a Spark mini-booster, then run the spark output into the FX return of a Monoprice 15w tube amp....the Monoprice is fitted with a GB128 speaker. The mini-boot is just used as a way to control the drive into the Monoprice (to give the FX return more juice). Works great....BIG sound.

For even more fun...I run my cheep Xaviere Jazz/Jag clone through a SurfyBear....then into the PF15R.
    All kinds of wicked. Big 'ol doom-surf, spaghetti-western kind of vibe....at least to me.....
    And yes....it's plenty loud.

Jazzerclean, nojazzhere and PhredE like this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

When I put one PF 15R chassis into the one 12" cab, I installed a "line out" jack that comes off the speaker.....this way it is line level, but with all the characteristics of the total amp, not just pre-amp. The idea came from Gerald Webber's Tube Amp Book. This way, I still get sound out of the internal speaker, but can feed the signal to another amp as well. Hard to see, but it's the left jack on the little plate on the back. (to the right) It can also go to a PA, yet retain sound from speaker. mar25 070.JPG

black_doug, Jazzerclean and glenlivet like this.
  4. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Wow, some great research done here PhredE, I am sure all Pathfinder owners will appreciate whether PF15r or PF10. Thanks.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Somehow I don't think that interest in these beautiful little amps will go away, infact I think the opposite.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Wow, then maybe the secret is not out?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 7:34 PM
  7. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Agree, I would pay dearly for one having owned two now for a couple years.

8. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Hmm, I like the way you use your Pathy line out to booster to the monoprice.

9. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Great info nojazzhere, would you be able to post here a hand diagram of how you wired it up? Would love to do that mod. Cheers.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Meister

Nice. I have always wanted to do that with my AC-10.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

I don't know how to post a diagram, but I'll try to describe in words. This is on page 37 of Gerald Weber's
    Desktop Reference of Hip Vintage Guitar Amps book.
    You can do this several ways.....internally or in a little metal "kit" box, so it can be "portable" and used with any amp you choose. Take a line off the + speaker wire. (do not disconnect the speaker in any way) Add a 2.2K Ohm resistor (1/2 watt) and then solder to the + terminal of a 1/4" female jack. Then place a 100 Ohm resistor (also 1/2 watt) across BOTH terminals of that jack. That jack is now a "line out". Plug a regular guitar cable (shielded) into that jack, and the other end into another amp. You must keep your first amp's speaker connected to prevent damage to that amp. If you crank that amp to distortion, you'll get the same distortion from the second amp. But since it is coming off the SPEAKER, it reproduces the overall tone quality that you hear from the original amp.
    I installed this on that PF 15R you saw, but I also made one in a box, and have used it in several different applications. I once came out of a vocal monitor into a powered speaker, so I could control the level of that powered speaker. It's pretty handy, yet easy to make.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  12. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Thanks so much, so this is a line out directly off the speaker as opposed to the built in line out that bypasses the speaker?
    Just to clarify if i could pls:
    I take a line off the spkr + terminal, adding a 2.2k Ohm to the other end of the wire comming from the speaker +,then;
    connect the other end of the 2.2 k resistor to the + of the female jack socket, then:
    Place 100 Ohm (is it the same as100k Ohm?) both the + & - terminals of the female jack socket.

Where does the neg - of the female socket go back to ground? Does it go back to the neg of the speaker?

Thanks in adv for your patience

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 12:01 AM
    nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Years ago I took a Pathfinder 15r and stuffed an old Fender blue label speaker in it. Can't remember now if it was a 10 or 12 but it made a good amp great.

Jazzerclean and nojazzhere like this.
  14. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

And I just bought a Vox 1x12 cab....

This is not helping my GAS.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  15. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I wish I knew that when I listed mine (head+2x10) on CL recently for $300. It sold the next day. As I was driving home after the sale I felt like I should have kept it or asked more. Oh well...there's a happy camper out there somewhere. I had found a std 15R and my thinking at the time was I didn't need two of them.

16. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's

Mine sounds wonderful through my 2x10 Dr. Z cab. It's about ten years old so it's nicely broken in.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  17. nojazzhere

I double checked the Weber book....it calls for a 100 Ohm resistor, NOT a 100K Ohm. And yes the 1/4" jack must be grounded. If you're using the jack mounted to the chassis in some way, it will be automatically grounded. If in a metal box, you will be grounded with the guitar cord from speaker output.
    I put a Jensen 10" in a PF 15R cabinet, and it almost didn't fit. A 12" speaker will fit as just a speaker cab, but not with chassis.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I know folks love this amp. Would someone describe what it excels at?
    Is it great for clean tones, dirty tones? Does it have traditional Vox tones? Pedal platform?
    Inquiring minds won’t to know.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You want to be sure to match the impedance of the external cabinet speaker(s) to the internal speaker so you don't damage the amp.

Less elegantly reviewed but the same concept. Add a jack out to a cabinet.

20. nojazzhere

Can't speak to all Vox amps, but the PF 15R is prone to not sounding "good" with any speaker impedance mis-match. When I built my four 8" cabinet, (all 8 ohm speakers) I googled the wiring to make sure I came out with an acceptable load......and, as I said, it sounds massive.

Jazzerclean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.