Wow, Vox Pathfinder 15R through a 12" cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jazzerclean, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:52 AM.

1. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

That's a great combo.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

In 2004 Vox issued limited edition 15R mini stacks. One came with a 2x10" cabinet and the other had 4x8" cabinet. I got the 4x8" version ($275) and still think it's one on my nicer amps. I heard that only 450 were made in each configuration. When they show up on Ebay they go pretty fast. Asking prices often approach $1000.

hdvades and Jazzerclean like this.
  3. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

That is a gem of an amp, keep a hold of it and enjoy.

4. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info gents.
    Gonna keep the search going..

Jazzerclean likes this.
  5. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Good luck with your search.

PhredE likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, and cheap too!

Amazing what you can get out of a Dano, and a pretty Vox-y sounding fake Vox. CHIME & GRIND!

Jazzerclean likes this.
  7. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Just as an FYI afterthought (and having poked around reviews of the P10) it seems even it gets very solidly good reviews (in terms of sound -- the main aspect I am interested in here). That clean channel must be pretty darn good even for SS.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  8. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

I have also seen many reviews on the PF10 all seem very good. Some do the mods like tbe LED & speaker mods, others are happy as stock. I really like your idea of incorporating a PF10 into a 1x12, or as many do, using it as a small head. They are readliy available in abundance, very cheap to buy, still sold new or even better, used, and hey easily to sell on (if you have to).
    You have helped me decide to look out for a PF 10. Also, they take pedals really well, as I was doing a mod to my Boss DS-1 and watched Youtube vid of the PF10 with pedals which sounded so good.

9. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I run mine occasionally into a 210 closed back Fender Cab in decoupled fashion. i.e. one driver and the other 10" hole open.

With lots of gain it really is quite the tone. ;)

Jazzerclean likes this.
  10. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Yes, but not sure about the fake lol

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Me neither,

I just know that it is a SS amp, and perhaps a modeling circuit of a real Vox AC-15/30, but not a real tube amp.

But whatever they did, they got it right.

I don't use the Boost button, but the amp will really break up a bit ( at moderate Gain) if you attack it hard.
    How a SS amp does that is beyond me.

nojazzhere and Jazzerclean like this.
  12. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Yes, me too, its beyond me. To Vox, I guess it was a HUGE commercial mistake to make this amp and is exactly why they took it out of production. I am so thankful I stumbled on mine. I literally tripped over it browsing for nothing in particular in a second hand store having never seen one or heard one bought it for $55 AU, then about a month later paid $70 for a second one. I'm glad that Vox made that huge commercial mistake and was able to buy them when I did.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 9:53 PM
    nojazzhere likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I have never tried a Pathfinder 10, but I've heard several people who HAVE tried both say the PF 10 is nothing like the PF 15R.....and it wasn't due solely to the reverb or stock speaker size. I can't imagine ever selling my two PF 15R's, and I even bought a third that needs major repairs as a "some day" project.

Jazzerclean and black_doug like this.
  14. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

My pair of 15Rs...
    Modded into a stack, with 2x10s
    [​IMG]

The other is jimmied into an old bass combo box with a 1x12. I like this one a little better

[​IMG]

Love my pathies!

15. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Ah, good to hear from someone who has tried a PF10 and actually owns the PF15 to compare them!

Get that someday project done, its too good to be left waiting.

PhredE and nojazzhere like this.
  16. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Stop! That's just way too cool.

tvvoodoo, PhredE and nojazzhere like this.
  17. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

For the P15R owners tuned in to this thread..

Here is a bit of trivia / FYI type info I dug up on these:

Mostly, but not exclusively, from this source:

Vox Pathfinder "Under The Hood"
    http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/p15r_hood.html
    (nicely documented on that site -- so many thanks to them)

The Model: "V9168R" (Pathfinder 15R)

The amp uses a TDA2030 as audio op-amp IC. It is 'old school' SS analog Class AB audio amp (not Class D discrete, 'digital') -- no surprise really. The TDA20[3,4,5]0 series was used in a many of the Fender 'practice' type amps as well (Frontman 10, 15, etc).

The reverb circuit uses the NJM4558 (formerly JRC4558?) op-amp. The JRC4558 was the well known op-amp used in the original Tube Screamers.

Also, different 'models' were made based on the export destination market. So, a 100V version was sent to Japan, a 115V version intended for the US, and a 240V version for the EU (eg; a different transformer was used in each different model apparently -- as opposed to running one transformer with different voltage/current).

Neat little amp. Lots of features for modest price.

nojazzhere -- it makes sense that the P10 <> P15R (aside from power rating). The P15R was discontinued in 2013 and the P10s came in afterward and supplanted that series (at least the current series). I haven't researched it all [yet!], but based upon trends in manufacturing, I would venture a guess that the P10 series is NOT Class AB, but rather, a Class D based design (they can ditch the transformer and heat issues would likely not be a concern) -- eg; 'cheaper and safer'. So, yeah, that would suggest there are some bigger differences in the P10s vs P15s.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for doing the research......I assumed there had to be a "real" reason why they didn't sound alike, but all I knew was the PF 15R sounds great.....and the PF 10 DOESN'T! ;)
    BTW.....I've been familiar with the voxshowroom site for years, and it has always had a wealth of information. There also used to be a "semi-affiliated" Vox owners forum, which is now gone, but is were I was first made aware of the Pathfinder 15R. Lots of fanatical owners even ten-fifteen years ago. ;)

Jazzerclean and PhredE like this.
  19. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

As popular as these amps are on TDPRI, I couldn't get a single bite when I tried to sell my Pathfinder 15 (non-reverb) on Craigslist last year at a fairly low price.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  20. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Vox could bring the P15R back at three times the price and it would still be a great bang for buck amp.

I had guitarists fawning over mine back when I played in an indie band 10–12 years ago — no one could believe it was a solid state amp that cost me a little over $100.

Closest I’ve come to finding a Fender equivalent is the Champion 20, but I wish it was just a single-function blackface-voiced amp with reverb and tremolo.

Jazzerclean, nojazzhere and PhredE like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.