Wow, Vox Pathfinder 15R through a 12" cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jazzerclean, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:52 AM.

1. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

I have two 15'Rs one stock and one modded including the diode removal.
    The diode removal imo gives way more clean headroom and changes the distortion from what can be fizzy fuzz at high gain, to more of a smooth variable overdrive.
    I also added a mid control and increased the intensity of the tremolo. Its not better or worse than the stock, just different. I use mine equally stock and modded.
    Going through a cab imo gives a perceived increase in volume as the bass is greatly improved and seems to spread the sound further. It is still 15 watts output, but to my ears, a fuller sound that could be perceived as louder.
    I would be confident in gigging with or without the cab just control your drummer! Angle your amp/& cab to you head, line or mic up if you band is too loud. I play solo or duo so it is easily enough power, sound spread for me.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 6:24 PM
    cravenmonket likes this.
  2. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Just do it! I don't get caught up in branding anymore, what should or shouldn't be used. If it sounds good, job done. I play jazz with gear that the jazz police would have me locked up for if given the chance, I just don't care what people think, if it gives me the sound I like.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    djh22 and PhredE like this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The orange frame Radio Shack guitar speakers were made by Utah. They weren't stellar, but were decent. Some BF Fenders were made with Utahs.

nojazzhere, PhredE and Jazzerclean like this.
  4. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

That's what I read somebBF fenders came with the same Utah speakers.

The speaker sounds way good enough for me and my Vox.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. WTRT

WTRT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

How difficult is it to mod the Pathfinder-10 to have a speaker out option?

Jazzerclean likes this.
  6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My Pathfinder has the 8" VOX/Celestion Bulldog (blue) that came out of a dead Vox Cambridge 15 I owned ( used a few years around 1999).
    I put this speaker in, as my PF ( bought used on CL) for some reason had a 4 ohm Crate speaker in it when purchased.
    The amp sounded great when I was checking it out; didn't know it did not have stock speaker un it till a day or so later!

Anyway, have now done probably over a hundred gigs with this amp.

The Bulldog speaker (I usually goose the amp with an always ON OD to double volume and add some grind) takes it all great ( I do have a backup speaker), and low end is fine too.
    No need for larger speaker for me, I'm leaving this alone; what an amp!

nojazzhere, Jazzerclean and PhredE like this.
  7. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Don't know as the 15r already comes with one. Many, i hear have done the mod to the PF10, just search for the mod. I got all my info for my mods from here.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 7:10 PM
  8. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

+1
    Yeah, same here. I approach things a lot the same way.
    I'll have to start scanning the local CL to see if any Pathfinder 15Rs appear anytime soon. They seem a bit hard to find, argh!

'jazz police' LOL

nojazzhere and Jazzerclean like this.
  9. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Agree, I find the stock Bulldog 8" more than adequate and wasn't looking for anything else, but when I was given the chance to use the speaker out socket to a larger speaker, well gave it another flavour to this wonderful amp. Enjoy yours.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

They are there, but now commanding much higher prices now the secret is out! But If I had to pay the current price commanded, I would pay it as it becomes more than just a cheap practise amp. Plus you end up with a gorgeous little amp that is a bit special.
    Get one!
    Yeah, I too lol, jazz police, pftttt.

nojazzhere and PhredE like this.
  11. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Not surprised. I was just playing thru my Marshall Lead 12. The stock 10" speaker and small/narrow cabinet do it no favors. Running it through my 1x12 cab and other larger cabinets the amp is special.

Jazzerclean and PhredE like this.
  12. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

I know that little terror well as I used to own one, its a fantastic Marshall SS! I Bet roars through a 1x12.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

I think the stock PF15R speaker is different from what I put in mine
    Mine ( from Cambridge) is blue, and is badged Celestion/Vox Bulldog

Tools of the trade on this gig- Pathfinder and Danelectro:: 20200112_194427.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 7:46 PM
    PhredE and Jazzerclean like this.
  14. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Yes both are Bulldog, both made by Celestion, the one they put in the earlier non reverb 15R amp is blue.

Chiogtr4x and PhredE like this.
  15. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Hey, just curious.. is the Pathfinder 10 similar tone-wise to the Pathfinder15R?

I can live without built in reverb, and am perfectly happy to hack a speaker jack to go out to an external cabinet.

I am seeing lots of P10s out there for sale, but geez, the 15Rs are pretty scarce.

My thinking is that I might just remove the chassis of the amp and re-house it in one of my own 12" cabinets (if space allows). The power difference isn't such a big deal, just want the same tone primarily.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 7:48 PM
    Chiogtr4x likes this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

No Tremolo either on the PF 10,

Just speaking for myself,
    NOT having either Tremolo, or Reverb (which is small but real Spring, built into the chassis) would be a deal breaker for me. ( just the nature of music I play)

The ' Swiss Army knife' aspect of this amp is what makes it for me!

Jazzerclean, ataylor and PhredE like this.
  17. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

OK, that helps. Thanks.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  18. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Given it is a smaller cab, no trem and no reverb it imagine would sound different (no better no worse) though i have never tried a PF10.
    However, if i didn't use my trem or reverb, and we both put the PF15 and your PF10 throught same extension cab, i can imagine we would get a very very similar if not the same sound.
    That said, stand alone as amps i imagine they may be different sounding amps on their own giving the cab size, larger speaker, but putting both through the same ext cab, both using no rev or trem, I highly doubt (or at least I) could gear any difference.
    So a PF10 would make a great amp head matched to a cab.

Hmmm, think i will keep an eye out for a PF10 to add to mine now.
    I would get a PF 10 and who knows, as rare as the 15's are, one may come up down the track. In the mean time you can easily geta PF 10 and not miss out on that Voxy goodness. Let us know how you get on with the PF10.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    PhredE likes this.
  19. Chiogtr4x

I look everyday on local CL ads for a 2nd PF 15R. It's that good.
    It'll happen someday!

black_doug, PhredE and Jazzerclean like this.
  20. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Yes but why wait when essentially you can get the same sound with a PF10 as long as not having trem or reverb doesn't bother you and using it through an ext cabnet as many do with their PF10's (small mod that many do for an ext spkr out required for PF10) and s/h PF10's are so cheap.

PhredE likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.