Wow, Vox Pathfinder 15R through a 12" cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jazzerclean, Jul 30, 2020 at 6:52 AM.

1. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

I have been enjoying my two Vox Pathfinder 15R's getting some great cleans with slight breakup that sounds great.

I wasn't looking for any better sound being really happy as they are but I was given a 12" speaker cabinet and curious to plug my Pathy into it, oh boy!

I think the little Vox Celestion Bulldog 8" speaker is the perfect internal 8" for the design but plugging into an external 12" cab gave a much fuller, fatter & balanced sound with a greatly improved bass response.
    I still love the amp sound with the original 8", but its like another completely different amp plugged in to the 12".

For the Pathy owners (like me) who had not tried plugging into a larger speaker, try it! IMG_20200730_203436350.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 7:12 AM
    carpenter, djh22, joe_cpwe and 5 others like this.
  2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

I have a Pathfinder 10 with a 1x12 cab., it's just marvellous, sometimes i think about getting a 2x12 or a 2x10 actually, it must be amazing....

Jazzerclean likes this.
  3. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Yeah, a 2x12 or 2x10, these Vox 15R amps I think can definately handle extenson cabs and they sound so great through them. Sounds like your Path 10 can too.

4. Outstanding Bill

Outstanding Bill TDPRI Member

Does the 1×12 make it louder?

I have the Pathfinder 10. Great sounding amp for the money. Not loud enough at rehearsals with an acoustic kit, but I've used it miced up at gigs.

I've seen mods for the 10 and the 15 that look interesting, including simply crushing a diode to increase the gain, and fitting a larger speaker.

Edit: great sounding amp, full stop.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  5. Thin white duke

Man, it's like night and day from a 6" to a 12" speaker, my cab. has an Eminence Gb 128, i can do any gig without problems.

I didn't do any mods, just added a speaker out jack for an extension cab, i bought a second hand that was already modded.

Jazzerclean and PhredE like this.
  6. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

I recently got a Pathfinder 15R and it's a fantastic little amp! Now I have the 1x12 to add to my wish list of gear. Thanks for that. :lol::lol::lol:

7. Thin white duke

The 10 doesn't have the extension speaker out jack but i bought a second hand that was modded for that..

Jazzerclean likes this.
  8. Thin white duke

Go on man, do it, this baby will shine even more.....

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I've shown these before, so pardon me if it's been excessive......but I gig with one of two that I have. One PF 15R has been re-housed into a cab with one 12".....and the other I built a cab with four 8" speakers. The four 8" sounds massive. (well, for a 15 watt amp, anyway)
    BTW, they both now have matching gold/wheat grills with the gold Vox logo. mar25 068.JPG mar25 117.JPG

10. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Any idea of what make/model the driver is in the 12" cabinet?

11. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

I've played a few small gigs with my Pathfinder and a 2x12. Yes, it's like having a new amp!

Jazzerclean and nojazzhere like this.
  12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I love those little amps, my “go to” for about anything I do anymore. The stock PF-15R works great for small venue places & garage jams I’ve done. I’ve run it through an ancient Sunn 4X10 cab and it does sound “big”.

13. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think Vox got way more than they bargained for with the Pathfinder 15s. The designer of this amp should get a medal. I guess Vox was afraid it was cutting into sales of their bigger amps. In my case that's not true. I had a Fender Super Reverb so i paid my heavy amp dues. I never would have bought a bigger Vox even if the Pathfinder didn't exist. It is a perfect marriage of sound, weight and price for me.

14. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

I can only imagine how they would sound, but have an idea now I have used a single 12". These amps are keepers.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Its a late 80's Magnum PA plywood cab with the horn disconnected. So the 12" driver is a wide range 12" 8 Ohm 50 watt. I know its not specifically designed for guitar, but wow, it does sound as good as the guitar specific Celestian and Eminence speakers in the 80's Marshall and Sovtek cabinets that I have previously owned.

I have two though, the other is separate (no cab) 12" is a 1970's Radio Shack made in Utah USA, and this also sounds perfectly voiced for the Vox, like the one in the cab, the voicing is wonderful.

PhredE and nojazzhere like this.
  16. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Ok, thanks for the info. I was sort of eyeing one of those (Pathfinder 15R) and was trying to size-up if I had a 12" I could pair up with it. Those are neat little amps. 15W going out to an efficient big (12", 15") speaker should be plenty of sound too.

Good luck, have fun with it.

Jazzerclean likes this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Off topic, but re: Radio Shack speakers......back in the late 1960's I played a BlackFace Fender Bassman (for guitar). When I got it, the speaker cab was empty, and (being a broke kid) I put two Radio Shack 12's in it.....sounded pretty good......or so I thought, until I substituted a pair of Jensens. Made a WORLD of difference. ;););)

Jazzerclean likes this.
  18. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Agree, I wish i had found mine 20 or 30 years ago, I too lugged heavy Fender & Marshall amps around, but no more. Its light weight or nothing for me nowadays.
    I also have high end jazz combos that are small, light weight, and powerful 110 watt and 120 watt rating, so I never need to lug heavy equipment again!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 5:56 PM
    PhredE likes this.
  19. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Thanks, try any speaker as long as its 8 Ohms you wont regret it. If you use a PA design speaker, just disconnect the tweeter/horn as it gives piercing highs that are not nice for guitar. I was reading somewhere that that PA drivers without the tweeter shouldn't be overlooked for guitar. As he said they can be a higher quality sound, more balanced, and a fraction of the cost of name branded cabinets aimed at guitar players. Hmmm, who'd have thought we were targeted by brands.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    Outstanding Bill likes this.
  20. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Right! I have at least 3 12" speakers lurking around in cabinets or maybe even stashed away in a box or two. It's funny you mention the PA driver, I have one I was considering! It's a beast of a speaker -- it's got a huge magnet, relatively 'flat' response curve, a ridiculous power rating and moderately loud (96db).. but it is SO smooth. I originally bought it for my brother (a bass player) and he ended up wanting a 2x10 or 4x8 arrangement. So I repo-ed my speaker and stuck it in a box.

Hmmm, you got me thinking...:D

nojazzhere and Jazzerclean like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.