1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WOW Steve Howe

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Randypttt, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I really loved this band when they first came out. They came along about the same time I was transitioning into jazz. They squarely fit into those parameters like Mahavishnu, Weather Report, that whole crazy Prog thing

I soon stopped following Yes after they lost so many good players like Wakeman and Bruford. I thought Bruford really defined their drive in many ways. Apparently they didn't think so haha.
    I am really enamored of their early albums and have never sought out any recordings from that time.
    Until today.

Steve, I always thought had every base covered stylistically but I have never heard him play so 'out' as he's doing in this intro to Close to the Edge. And having a good time doing it. There's a bit hinted at in the album version. It's probably not the most structured of solos but he's putting some Coltrane into it. I'm surprised he and John Mclaughlin never got together.

The production on this vid is a bit appalling but what can you do. It looks like Moraz had joined by then and the very good but unexciting Alan White. At least they still had Steve.

Enjoy

2. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Saw them twice in the early 70s. L A Forum and Long Beach Arena.
    Starship Trooper ----soloing starts at 5:45

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Goldenshellback and thunderbyrd like this.
  3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i love Yes. you can go on amazon prime and watch Yessongs, i watched it in a theater in 76. it's a fat gibson guitar orgy!

frank a likes this.
  4. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Big fan of this album also. Love Chris Squires bass playing.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  5. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Holy cow. I might have been at that show. It was my first concert--a friend's older brother took us to see Yes "in the round" (a rotating stage) at the Philadelphia Spectrum.

posttoastie and thunderbyrd like this.
  6. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was at that show. I didn't realize Bill Bruford wasn't in the band though, and was bummed. It was still a great show.

7. Randypttt

They'd lost Rick Wakeman by that time as well. Guess they weren't known for keeping people around for long.
    Too bad. The "Close to the Edge" period was the best band imo. Along with "Fragile" And "Tales".
    Although without Bruford I kinda lost interest by that time. Mahavishnu and RTF, Weather Report were calling loudly.

8. thunderbyrd

i just found that the Yessongs movie is on u-tube. the superstar of the show is a glorious Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster. he plays it more than the ES-175 he's famous for.

it's a feast, man! damn, that guy can play!

Randypttt likes this.
  9. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

There's a reason that they don't play this band's songs anywhere. Some talented people but a horrid sound. Sounded like overproduced elves on coke.

Skully and Randypttt like this.
  10. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

This clip of Steve playing for Les Paul is fun to watch. Steve keeps making goofy faces at Les while playing his songs.

11. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wakeman was still with them, he left sometime after the tour.

Randypttt likes this.
  12. Randypttt

I do think they excelled more in the studio than the stage. But Howes playing belays that some. He could be a real madman.

There's a certain delicacy, for lack of a proper word, in the music that doesn't translate to the stage. I love to listen back to those records.

Bassman8 likes this.
  13. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

I listened to The Steve Howe Album a couple weeks ago. There is some incredible playing on there. Definitely worth hearing if you wan’t to hear Howe outside of Yes.

14. thunderbyrd

elves on coke = 1970's

i don't know exactly who "they" are, but i hear them on the radio quite often. but if you mean, like, musicians covering their music, there aren't many who can.

but, yep, their live sound leaves something to be desired, compared to their studio recordings.

15. thunderbyrd

Bassman8 likes this.
  16. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Thank you for posting that video. I have much more respect for Steve. Live always shows the true talent of an individual. I never knew he was such a virtuoso from the commercial recordings. I never followed yes. I did however see Bill Bruford in some tiny jazz clubs in Boston many years ago when he was experimenting with Jazz. Must of sat 10 feet from him a couple of times in Michaels pub. He was playing with Jeff Berlin. Great stuff. He was so tall the Jazz drums looked like toys.

thunderbyrd and Bassman8 like this.
  17. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

I haven't heard one of their songs on the radio since the early 1980's... and I only listen to Classic Rock stations.

18. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I always thought Howe was a monster, if just because he covers so many styles and does them all brilliantly. It's funny to me that some folks don't like him; many years ago, a friend who I respect quite a bit made an offhand and disparaging comment about Howe, and I had to call him out on it. Even if you don't like his style, Howe has got chops for days.

That version of Yes - Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe, and Squire - is one of the greatest all time rock bands IMO. The few albums they made together have been in regular rotation for me since I first heard them as a kid in the 80s. Close to the Edge is probly my fav, but it's a tough call.

I'll add that in my dream band, Wakeman is the keyboardist.

thunderbyrd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.