1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wow - Glendale American Standard "Blackguard" bridge

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ignatius, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I recently picked up an American Deluxe Tele in a good deal. It came with a Callaham bridge and saddles on it.

Last week I snagged a Glendale American Standard "blackguard" bridge and just installed it today.

The difference is astounding and very noticeable. You know how it is, you read about some doohickey on these forums and you get one and there's a subtle difference and you tell yourself it's an improvement. Well this bridge made all the difference to my guitar.

There's no question that the Callaham bridge is of good quality, and as advertised, it imparts a certain sonic thickness and harmonic quality to the guitar. This may be exactly what some folks are looking for, and it may be just the ticket for certain guitars.

On my particular guitar though, there was none of the usual Tele twang/snap/sparkle that I wanted. Lots of sustain, but the notes just kind of went 'thunk' on the initial attack. In fact, I was beginning to think that I'd unload the guitar because there was just something about it that I didn't connect with. It didn't sound or even feel like a Tele to me.

After installing the Glendale bridge, which is significantly thinner than the Callaham, the guitar has all of the snap and twang I wanted. Nice piano like tones and sparkly overtones. And I don't think it's my imagination, but the guitar seems to play easier too - perhaps due to the geometry change resulting from the thinner bridge plate? It's just a joy to hear and play, and it just "feels" right too.

What I do know is that a guitar that I wasn't sure about is now an amazing guitar.

As for aesthetics, the Glendale bridge looks a little more traditional if that matters to anyone. While it's longer than a vintage-style bridge, it doesn't (to my eyes, at least) look "funny" on the guitar. I really like the double-cut style with the slight lip - it looks cool but it feels good for hybrid picking.

Thought I'd pass this along in case anyone was looking at the Glendale for their American Tele.

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Cool !...I Luv hearing about changes that have Positive results...I haven't had the chance to try one of those yet, but your results will go in my mental folder.
    Tony

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Pictures, Ignatius?

Which O' them American Deluxes have you got? SCNs?

Is it possible SCNs aren't the #1 problem on that model, the stock bridge is?

4. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I'll work on those pics ;).

This one was heavily modded - pickups are Kinmans.

It's a heavy beast (horror of horrors - I just admitted my guitar was HEAVY right here on the TDPRI :D) but it sounds great.

5. pcypert

pcypert TDPRI Member

SCN's aren't inherently bad in themselves. I'd say other problems with guitars before those...different beasts, but I have SCN's in my strat and they sound great....

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

It may well play better after the bridge installation. I'm sure you adjusted the saddle height and intonation. The saddles could easily have ended up a little lower.

7. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Better late than never - here are a few pics (and I hope I'm a better guitar player than I am photographer). Yeah, these pseudo-vintage style bridges for the American Teles are a little odd looking. But if it's not sitting next to one of my other Teles I don't notice the extra real estate at the bridge, and I've found that it's even less noticeable when I'm playing the guitar and can't really see the bridge! More importantly though, it makes the Tele sound more like a Tele should.

Here's a shot of the Glendale bridge, and for the morbidly curious amongst us, here's a shot also of the Kinman "solderless pickup wiring harness".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Tlon

Tlon TDPRI Member

How do you like the solderless switch? I've been thinking about it for my AmStd.

9. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

You mean the fact that it is angled? I can't say it makes a huge difference.

10. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

That angle deal makes me think I would continuosly be slamming the switch into the bridge position while playing, like I do on my strat.

But the connections remind me of my brushless RC car, pretty cool!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.