1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wow...brass...a "big" improvement in tone !

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by gypsyseven, Aug 27, 2011.

1. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Friend of Leo's

Cool,
    got some brass bridge pins from D´Andrea in the mail today and put them with a set of new strings on my Blueridge BR163A and WOW!
    The sound is much richer now.Even for the harmonics it´s an improvement:lol:

Attached Files:

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Don't mean to give you a hard time, but you have a beautiful guitar (saw it from your other post) and these things look dreadful! Also your tone is coming from the other side of where your strings break over the saddle- are these really doing anything for your tone? Sorry this is just my "two cents"

3. gypsyseven

Yeah, maybe it´s just the new strings, but anyway, they weren´t that expensive and i can remove them anytime....

4. RandomUserName

RandomUserName Former Member

I agree. It could easily be just another clever scheme to get people to random nonsense thats only advantage is making the seller that much richer. And as for the improvement in tone: it's probably just placebo effect. Those brass pins would only make the top heavier which would harm more than help your "tone".

Just 2 more cents thrown in!

If all the rain drops were Fenders and Les Pauls, oh what a rain that would be!!!!

5. gypsyseven

6. gypsyseven

Funny, after reading lots of diffrent opinions about brass,wood and bone pins i just tried again the original "cheap" plastic pins and have to say, maybe it were just the new strings - more - now i prefer the plastic pins over the brass pins....

I guess i´ll give them back....

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bridge pins can change the tone of an acoustic guitar. I have swapped between many different materials.

I liked the Ebony pins best in my Martin

8. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

They certainly do have effect on tone. Some ears are not quick to subtulties in changes, so maybe it dont matter to listeners as much, but it's all about what sounds good to THE GUITAR PLAYER HIM/HER SELF that matters anyways. I like cowbone or camelbone best myself.

9. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Listening to the YT demo, and going back and forth for a better A/B comparison between them, the plastic pins sound best to me. Seem more open and complex. All the other ones seem to dampen various frequencies IMO.

10. gypsyseven

That was also the reason for me to go back to plastic pins.

11. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Must be tricky to be objective on the influence, if any, of bridge pins since you have to put on a fresh set of strings at the same time. That alone changes the way a guitar sounds -- especially if you change strings as infrequently as I do!

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I can't comment of tone, but those brass pins look TEH BOMB to me, like leetle Tele knobs.

13. tap4154

I'm assuming that the YT demo linked above kept the same strings, and just changed-out the pins (capo the strings -- loosen strings -- change pins -- retune).

14. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

You're kidding yourself if you think it does not make a difference. Everything's composition, especially in an acoustic effects the instruments timbre.
    The most noticeable I've found is removing all the finish from the body, gives it much more resonance! Followed by saddle, then nut and then pins.
    I have A/B'd plastic and bone pins with the same set of strings and can assure you there is a difference to be heard (however the degree of difference will vary from instrument to instrument.

I am the first to question the pursuit of tone in electrics (when discussing the particular molecular makeup of certain types of rare ash) but acoustic instruments are very responsive tithe slightest of changes, because the soundboard is producing the sound from vibrations - not magnetic pickups.

15. tap4154

My theory is that (in general) the lighter the bridge pins the better. After all, the vibrations are primarily transmitted via the saddle and nut, and if you add weight to the bridge by the way of brass or very dense bridge pin materials, you just dampen out various frequencies. Of course, maybe you want to change the tone, and if various heavy/dense pins improve the tone to your ear, then it's all good.

16. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

I have a few guys that use these pins.
    The do change the sound.
    Its a bit of a crap shoot.
    Essentially they add weight in the bridge area. A critical area in acoustic design. So your damping some frequencies and enhancing others.
    On the instruments I seen them used on they damped lows which was a benefit when using the built in electronics. When used with out amplification they had a more subtile effect on the feel of the instrument. I think they isolate the string energy from the top and therefore can increase sustain but decrease overall volume.
    For some guitars that might be a good thing. A real boomy light toped guitar for instance. This is are a product that seeks to correct a design flaw in the guitar. So not necessarily a good call for the average instrument but a special needs option.
    In my observation.

17. blackguardash

blackguardash Tele-Meister

I like brass pins to deepen the tone; I like ebony pins in an ebony bridge; and I prefer buffalo horn pins in my Martin. Everyone seems to like bone, but its sound is too brittle for me. Only my opinion... YMMV...

18. twst1up

twst1up TDPRI Member

i have an alvarez acoustic that i love, it's got a great neck, great action. Sounds good too, but it just DOES NOT project to my liking. I've often thought of changing the pins for something heavier, perhaps brass with the abalone tops.

19. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

I would think they would roll of highs.
    They do in the instruments I've seen them used in.
    Mutes the top.
    If it sounds good for that guitar, it sounds good for that guitar.
    Don't think you could assume it would have the same result on every guitar.

20. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I put bone saddles and pins in both my acoustic guitars (Yamaha and Martin). In both cases the sound of the guitar became louder and more balanced. I would recommend this modification to anyone. It's easy to do and makes your guitar sound better, kind of a no-brainer. I got the stuff from Bob Colosi down in Georgia. He's a good guy to deal with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.