1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wound string over instead of under...any issues?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by naveed211, Feb 28, 2021.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I usually just wind all my strings under the string on the tuning peg, but was a bit distracted and wound above the string on the low E last night.

It seems fine, it sits a bit high in the nut slot, but I don’t notice any issues with it.

I didn’t really know how to phrase it in my search, are there any issues associated with winding strings over instead of under on the peg (other than my OCD of having one string different than the rest driving me crazy about it?)

2. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’m a little thick headed this morning. Feral cats on the roof, hollering on the deck, my dogs barking at the cats....
    Post a pic please

3. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

It should not be a problem. It might be a problem if the string popped out of the nut slot when bending the string.

In fact, winding the G string UP the post on Gibson guitars reduces the break angle over the nut and helps with tuning stability.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Probably not, but loosening and rewinding it won't hurt anything, either.

naveed211 and Fiesta Red like this.
  5. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

my understanding is that it's about the break angle at the nut, more downward pressure is better...
    I would rewind it, one over the rest under.

6. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

The point is to lock that string on the post. The more turns around the post, the more chances for the string to stretch/slip. Personally I lock the first half turn like in this video. Using this method, you can have a single wrap around the post and the string will never slip.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.