1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wound G?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ocomoc, Feb 26, 2020.

1. ocomoc

ocomoc TDPRI Member

Being a bass player for as long as i remember, I got the itch for playing guitar again. Im working with Mickey Bakers book and the chord changes sound really pretty.
    Just got a good deal on an American Pro Telecaster and was wondering about the strings. I think the guitar currently has 10's, same as my strat.
    I want to change the gauge/type to something mellower so i was thinking of going with either 11 or 12 flatwounds with possibly a wound G. Im thinking the heavier strings would fare well with the tall narrow frets as far as intonation....being somewhat a "new" player, it might come into play.
    Would there be an issue with the nut on the guitar? Would the wound g fit in the slot?
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

Check out the Ernie Ball Mammoth Slinky strings. 12-62. Wound G.

They're too big for me.

3. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Will a wound G work on a 3 barrel Tele saddle? If so, I would like to try it.

bumnote likes this.
  4. poboy

poboy Tele-Meister

One thing you will notice is a volume drop on that string (compared to a plain G).

DaphneBlue and boris bubbanov like this.
  5. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Absolutely. I've pretty much always used a wound 3rd...can't quite control that harshness I get from an unwound.
    When the Teles, Strats, etc were introduced the wound 3rd was the norm. The unwound didn't really become popular until the 60's. The vintage stagger of the pole pieces in Strat pickups was developed when wounds were the norm.

Because choices with wound 3rd's aren't exactly widespread, I order from these guys..

https://www.stringjoy.com/

I can custom build my own set with gauges I prefer...and they're great strings as well.

6. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I don't use a wound G, but in the 10-46 set, I always found the .17 3rd was just unbalanced, so I replace the .17 with a .16. This helps with Blues and pedal steel bends, while retaining the tone you get from 10s.

brians356 likes this.
  7. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Grab a baritone,midway 'tween a bass and regular guitar. 13 to 62

8. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I always use a wound G, 11 - 48 power slinkies with an 18w (which I buy separably)

as for nut fitting etc, it has nothing to do with it being wound and everything to do with the gauge.... so it depends, but most guitars (all?) can take a 11's without needing anything crazy doing to the nut.

9. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I tried recently. Did not like it at all. Very hard to bend and not feeling right

10. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I use a wound G on my 6120s. The intonation is better and it balances with the other strings. If you perceive a volume drop, adjust the pickup pole pieces. That said, if you bend a lot, you might want to see how you feel. I only typically bend a half or - at most - a whole tone. If I need something more than that, I typically find a better spot on the neck to play it.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

weird that's exactly why I use a wound 3rd... a plain string at 0.18 is way too stiff, a wound 0.18 is far easier to bend because the core is much much thinner.

brians356 and MickM like this.
  12. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

start thinking half-step bends on G-B and E strings, such a cool alternative to full steps and puts you into another mind frame

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  13. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

I've been playing Dean Markley Jazz 12-54 for 20+ years. I really like the wound G. In my memory the Dean Markley Light Top Heavy Bottom came with two Gs a wound and unwound but I can't find internet evidence of this...

Then again I don't usually use the high E string so, grain of salt! XD

14. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

I have a set of flatwound 12's on an Affinity Tele with a vintage style 3 saddle bridge, which I use for slide in open E. I did have to open up the nut slot a little bit, but not much. When I tune down to standard, it still plays and sounds fine, but bending it more than a half step is problematic. It is easier to intonate than an unwound G.

15. Dadzmad

Dadzmad TDPRI Member

for the OP
    I have 2 Tele's and use 12's with a wound 3rd on both.
    One with flat wound Monels - Rotosound Top Tapes
    and the other with regular pure nickel round wounds.

For the wound G, I had to widen the nut slot on one with a single swipe with a piece of folded emery cloth.

I use a 3 barrel bridge on both. One has the beveled "compensated" barrels. for the wound 3rd I flip the middle bridge barrel over to the round side and the wound 3rd seems to intonate better. But that could be just me.

as an aside - using a heavier string set like 12s you will notice a difference in tone using a tele bridge cover. The best way I can describe it is like the sweet sound of a muted horn.

16. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The tele was designed with a wound G in mind. Try it! I use a wound G on my Gretsch. Jazzmaster has 11s for surf. Teles have 9.5s. Love mixing it up.

Rev Rhythm and Skydog1010 like this.
  17. ocomoc

ocomoc TDPRI Member

Many thanks, everyone. Im going to check out the 11-50 with wound G. Where can i buy individual strings to alter the set or just get extra e's?

18. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

https://www.juststrings.com/

MickM and artdecade like this.
  19. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

i buy six packs of Ernie Ball 18W, come in packs of 6.
    used to pay a premium for D'Addrirao sets that had 18w's in them, they were available in 10's and 11's sets.
    i now have a boat load of spare 17 plains, which are slowly being used.

20. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you go very much bigger, you will need to widen the nut slot(s). Check out Stringjoy; they have wound G offerings as skinny as .018, I believe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.