1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wound 3rd?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Blues Twanger, Feb 5, 2021.

1. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Wound G on all of my guitars. Intonation is better. Better balance across strings. Love 'em. Be sure to reintonate. A wound G will need the bridge saddle moved closer to the headstock. Callaham makes a D/G saddle that is compensated for a wound G. Works a charm.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

newtwanger likes this.
  3. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

How is it possible to not notice?

4. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

The compensated units I use can be flipped, but good point noted for the sake of the thread.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...ter-saddle-brass-5-16-offset-barrel-set-of-3/
    I always recommend these, they are available in three materials and two barrel diameters.

sjwieczorkow and Kmaxbrady like this.
  5. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you can bend a major third or a fourth up on a wound g-string...

More power to you.
    But I highly doubt it especially in standard tuning.

On an unwound G there's no problem in that!

6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Back in the day I was a roll yer own kind of guy. I can’t imagine trying to wind a G string. I just use what comes out of the pack.

7. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Weird. My packs come with them already wound.

gregulator450 and NoTeleBob like this.
  8. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Even worse are threads on string theory. Stephen Hawking tried to explain it to me in his book but it just wasn't happening. I have the same issue with music theory.

old wrench likes this.
  9. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

UOTE="Fenderdad1950, post: 10428135, member: 145404"]Growing up I used to go the the local ma & pa music store, when I was learning to play. I would be able to get the high string by itself[/quote]

The days of racks with 15 gauges in four brands are gone. Now it's a five per pack minimum on line.

10. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I'm using a plain .015 3rd string with 10's on my strat. Works well for me. It's the Hendrix set with a heavier low E and A. I find the .017 to be a little proud in the standard 10-46 set with some guitars.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  11. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation Tele-Meister

I use a wound 3rd set of 11s on all my guitars including my telecaster. Reasons have all been stated.

sjwieczorkow likes this.
  12. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Not me. Strings gotta bend. Tried small wound Gs a long time ago. I just broke 'em.

13. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What brand do you generally play?

14. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Only on Acoustic guitars or flat wound electric guitar strings for slide.

15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I like a wound G . When I started in 1969, that's all you could get, now they are hard to find. Better sustain and do not tend to go out of tune as easily as a thin g (0.017) .

16. Devanatha

Devanatha Tele-Meister

Indeed. I use Thomastik-Infeld JS flatwounds (12–16–20w–27–37-50) on all my good guitars. Expensive, but they last a long time. They feel so much more stable, always stay in tune and aren't really that heavy. The tension is evenly distributed, so the middle strings don't feel heavier than the outer strings, like on all other string sets I've tried. I don't bend strings a lot, but can easily bend a whole note.

17. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I'm a big fan of the wound 3rd -- too much time as an acoustic player under my belt!

18. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

Never tried a wound G. Can you still do full step bends on it?

19. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

As a rule, anything but Ernie Ball. That's sacrilege to many, I know, but to my ear they're a bit harsh sounding. On most of my guitars, both hollowbodies and teles, they play ok. On my D'Angelico Excel SS, a set of Ernie Ball 10s feels really stiff. I prefer a quasi-acoustic, clean sound on my electrics- crispy. The EBs do that in an over-the-top fashion, way too much- to the point that it's impossible to EQ things sufficiently to tame the strings' brashness. I ended putting some 9-42 D'Addarios and a 17 wound, and instant playing bliss, both tone and touch.

gregulator450 likes this.
  20. Danny B.

Danny B. TDPRI Member

I much prefer wound g strings. I feel there is more balanced tension and tone across the set. I can’t stand the huge jump in tone and feel going from a wound d to a plain g. It’s like running up a set of stairs and one of them is a different size than the others. Wound g’s just fit better in the set than plains. There can be some frustrations as people have already mentioned. The wound g is quieter than the plain and most pickups don’t have adjustable poles. I bust my guitars open and push the poles up to adjust. I think there are threads discussing this. It’s tricky and you risk ruining your pickup. If I don’t do this, I drive myself crazy obsessing about the jump between wound and unwound. I didn’t know I had an ocd problem until I started messing with string gauges. Intonation, nut, and action will probably have to be adjusted also, like others have said. To me it’s worth it, even after all of the adjustments. I can’t stand unwound g strings. I have a few guitars with blade pickups. Since there is no way that I know of to adjust individual string sensitivity on these pickups the I go crazy no matter what I do. If any has suggestions on dealing with blade pickups and individual string responses please speak up. Long rant but , yes! Wound third every time for me.

sjwieczorkow likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.