1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Would you ...?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TeleKato, Dec 19, 2015.

1. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

My first Tele was a used 2008 American Standard I got in 2010. I ended up liking fatter necks, so over the years I swapped on many an alternative -- and sold the original neck for cash.

Time passed and I decided to sell this one. I did manage to sell the Musikraft neck I had put on it most reentry, and have been trying to sell the fully-loaded body. No luck. Maybe I'm asking too much ($329 +shipping in the classifieds). But I wonder if partscaster builders just don't want that fully complete of a body? I mean, where's the fun in just slapping a neck on it?

I just found a 2008 American Standard neck for sale. I feel the price is reasonable. And ... it appears the neck is even stamped from the same month as the body!

If'n you were me ... would you buy the neck, restore the guitar to "almost from the factory" status, and then try to sell the whole thing?

2. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

Short answer: yes.

I'd still be up front about the fact that the neck isn't the original but it is from the same batch. Someone who really wants what you're selling will bite.

3. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

+ 2

4. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

To me it really depends on how much the new neck costs. As a general rule, it's hard to make back your money on a partscaster unless you part it out. I'd be hesitant to invest more in it.

5. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

I agree with that last statement, and that's how I've been parting (a pun!) with my partscasters of late. But while I would be honest about the fact it didn't come from Corona in one piece, it is still an all-Fender, all-American, all-2008 guitar. Seems that makes it a 2008 MIA Fender American Standard, to all but the purist of purists. But this isn't a collector guitar anyway.

If I'm valuing the body at $329 (where it won't sell) and I can get the neck for about that, then I'd have about $650 in it. I do think I could move the whole guitar for $700+. But maybe I'm dreaming ... :rolleyes:

6. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd buy the neck, but to sell the guitar.

7. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Right before Christmas is a tough time to try to sell gear.
    I don't think you would get $700 or more right now.

8. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

Good tip actually. And not being in a press for cash, I'd probably hold off and sell it after the holidays.

9. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

And as fate would have it ... it sold (to someone else). Maybe whomever will be looking for a 2008 fully loaded AmStd body to buy for it?

"... if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all! Gloom, despair, and agony on me!"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.