1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Would you?

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Petrucci-fan, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Petrucci-fan

Petrucci-fan Tele-Meister

I have just purchased a 1992 52 RI Tele. I have used a Hipshot B-bender in the past and have ordered one for this guitar. Would you drill a hole in the bridge plate, notch it out or "NO WAY" don't go there! :lol:
    I don't want to destroy any value in it but the Hipshot is fairly low, returnable to factory mod. How about some suggestions or feedback? ;)
    Thanks
    Randy

2. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

Just replace in the bridge....

with a replacement vintage Fender bridge. It should be identical to the one you have. It's about a $20 part. The operation you need to make is to cut a small notch in the top lip of the back of the bridge. The notch doesn't need to be very deep. It would be too difficult to drill a hole since it needs to be close to the of the lip.

Actually I thought you were going to ask if you should route the back of your guitar for a B Bender...to which I would reply sure! Why not? :D

3. Petrucci-fan

Re: Just replace in the bridge....

Yea! I guess I could route out the butt of the guitar and there would be no need for a notch! :eek: :lol:
    Thanks Brian.:) Any others want to chime in?

4. Darrell

Darrell Friend of Leo's

Humm

Why don't you leave the existing bridge plate alone, and get an after market one, and drill a whole in it, and install it. Put the original in a warm fuzzy place.

BTW, was there wholes put into the guitar to mount the Hipshot, or was it just a "loose" mount. If they drilled wholes to mount it, then you already have affected the resale of the guitar. If that is true, then I would just drill a whole in your existing bridge plate.

Just my opinion

5. Petrucci-fan

Re: Humm

Ok here is where I stand! The Hipshot only has the strap knob screw in it for now. No additional holes. (yet) :rolleyes: I need more down pressure on the saddles to keep the strings from coming out of the notches on the saddles. If I notch the bridge plate it won't do any better than the way it is right now. The E and B string going to the Hipshot do not touch the plate. But if I drill a hole in the bridge plate towards the bottom this will increase the down pressure. Right? I think I will order the after market bridge plate and do surgery on it! Keep the original in good shape. What you guys think? :?:

6. Darrell

Darrell Friend of Leo's

If I understand what you said correctly

then I concur.

7. Sacto Joe

Sacto Joe Tele-Meister

Shim?

You could always try shimming the neck first.
    This would create a sharper angle over the saddles and raise the saddles above the lip of the bridge. Might be worth a shot.

8. Petrucci-fan

Dual load bridge on the way.

I am going to try this first. If it doesn't work then I will resort to fooling with the neck. I have never shimmed before. :( Can you give me a few pointers maybe?

9. lex765

lex765 TDPRI Member

drill the hole

lots of people told me that I didn't have to drill the hole, but without downforce behind the saddle the string would be off the saddle first time I played it. I drilled the hole, and don't know why anyone would rather shim the neck instead of drilling the hole. I would have had to shim mine a bunch to create any kind of downforce at all. I drilled mine right on the guitar, just be sure to use a punch to set the hole first. Mine works great.

10. Petrucci-fan

No drilling required!

With the Dual load bridge I won't need to drill but it will be the same thing! ;) I will just pass the E and B string through the back of the bridge and the rest in the normal string through position. Glad to hear it worked for you. Did you add more than the one screw in the strap button area? I am pretty sure I need to add screws on both sides as suggested by Hipshot.

11. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

Re: No drilling required!

hi randy....this is George in Springfield, mo.....we spoke at length on the phone the other day....i think you went the correct route in just using the dual-load bridge...shimming the neck is always an option but seldom necessary...myself, i always stabilize the hipshot by adding two screws in addition to the strap button...it just avoids any problems in the future and i don't worry bout the extra holes in the beast....as i said on the phone....a guitar is a tool to me anyway, if it don't do what i need...what am i gonna do with it...????...hang it on the wall and say....well....HECK....!!?..don't forget to send the pics of the guitar when yer done....keep bendin'....george

12. Petrucci-fan

Hey George!

Yep the dual load bridge works good with one problem! It seems as if I have a grounding problem now! Maybe the new bridge is not as good as quailty as the original. I am thinking I might try to sheild the cavities on her! Other than the buzz from that the dual load bridge is the ideal situation. Plus I am planning on adding the G palm lever and I have the drop E in addition to the B so when all is said and done. i will have 3 strings through and 3 top load! 8) And yes I ran a couple of screws in besides the Strap button. Worked like a charm! Thanks for the great info.! :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.