1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Would YOU use this router?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by ElJay370, Jan 21, 2021.

1. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Dig this out today. Hasn’t been fired up in a very long time.

D6C6410C-DBB8-4A05-A35C-86EAB805E378.jpeg

I think it’s from the late 60’s. The collet looks intact and it does run, but the motor is VERY loud.

I don’t know much about old power tools. Should I try a little maintenance on it and see if it’s useable or just bite the bullet and buy a new one that’s probably easier to use and most likely safer?

It is cool, though.

old wrench likes this.
  2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I'd use it, my first router I found at a thrift store a 70's or 80's TrueValue brand plunge router, still works today.

3. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

That's a pretty nice tool. Definitely do any maintenance it might need, and then use the heck out of it. It may be loud because it needs maintenance, or it may just be loud. Use hearing protection.

4. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

probably all the router you will ever need unless you get the bug and need a plunge, then a trim, then separate routers for different round over sizes, rabbit cutters so you don't have to waste time changing cutters and setting them up.

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

One advantage of old metal bodied tools is they absorb the vibration better. Still... sometimes old stuff isn't as easy to use. I have an old aluminum Craftsman drill, you have to use a chuck key with it.

6. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have an identical router that's Craftsman branded. I used it to rebuild the red oak stairs in my house this summer.

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

That's a better built router than most you will find today as a home duty router. It kind of looks like a Porter Cable 690...

DrASATele and Preacher like this.
  8. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

I would use it in a heartbeat. Change the brushes if needed, make sure the bearings on the shaft are not the cause of the noise.

Peegoo likes this.
  9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Those two ears at the top usually have a Bakelite plug in each one. Unscrew each plug to remove the brushes and inspect them.

While the brushes are out, test the top and bottom bearings for runout. If you're adventurous, disassemble the entire thing (remove the brushes first) and regrease the bearings.

If the bearings need replacing, each bearing has a number on it. Back when this router was made, the bearings were jellybean parts and they still are: cheap and easy to find.

Take care when reassembling and make sure the unit is properly grounded and has proper polarity (use a three-wire mains cable and mind the hot/neutral connections) because this tool was made prior to the whole "double insulated" thing.

JohnnyNacho and oldfish like this.
  10. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Peegoo beat me to it, but your router is actually maintainable and re-buildable. It was built in the days before throw away tools. I have an old Craftsman of approximately the same vintage and use it frequently.

To the OP, if you're doubtful of that old router, I'll send you my address and shipping money, send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you ;)

Dereksys38 likes this.
  11. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Hell yes, I'd use it! :)

I still use mine all the time -

IMG_1159.JPG

It may be old, but it's a great router.

I originally bought it and a Porta-Plane along with the hinge template kit for mortising door hinges.

That was back in the days when you bought a door and it was a slab of wood.

You had to cut mortises for the hinges, bore and mortise for the lock set, and plane in the bevels on the door's edges.

You know, the good old days ;).

guitarbuilder likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.