Would You Treat Yourself to a $400 Delay Pedal?

El Marin

Friend of Leo's
No way

A delay? I use a slap back echo in two songs, my pedal is a clone of "a delay" buitl by a friend and cost me 50€... more than enough and sounds much better for what I use it

ICTRock

Tele-Afflicted
Hey guys,

I recently had the chance to play the new J.Rockett Clockwork delay pedal.

It's an awesome fully analog tape echo delay that also has a boost and modulation function but the thing is, it clocks in (pun intended) at around $400...

For the same amount, for $100 more you could get an hx stomp that does everything but man, the Clockwork does have a particular vibe to it that makes you want to play non stop!

My question to you is, do you feel a delay pedal can be justified at $400?

Here's a quick overview video I did with it:

Cheers!

No. But that is me shopping with my wallet for my needs. I'm sure there's a market for their wares.

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
I don't use delay so I'd never spend that much on a delay. But if you threw a nice muff styled fuzz my way? Sure.

max_twang

Tele-Afflicted
Only watched a couple minutes. I was turned off by the hype. It seemed like the video was more of an advertisement instead of an "overview."

But no. $400 for a pedal? Please.

MatchlessMan

Tele-Holic
Yes, and I have.

I got the EHX DMM 1100TT for £290 ($400) a couple of years ago. It’s perfect for me and has pride of place on my main gigging pedal board. I set the tempo and beat division from a DIY footswitch, and tweak the delay tone with a graphic EQ pedal. Sorted.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
I wouldn't pay $400 for that pedal It's a nice analog-sounding delay, but from the demo that's all it is. You can get that much cheaper.

I paid $300 for my Source Audio Nemesis, but it's got extensive filter and modulation capabilities, many flavors of delay. and the ability to save presets. I use it a lot with the band, for delays and for chorus and filter sounds that you would not think were coming from a delay pedal.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
If it had NOS MN3005 bucket brigade chips then sure. Those are like gold. I've got four of them in my modified double aquapuss pedal that I built. I scored them for 5$ a piece before they became unobtanium.

Basically why I buy certain vintage AD pedals: bbd chips made when they were cutting edge hi fi tech.
Now bbd chips are hip lo fi tech used by greasy guitar gear nerds.
The old chips run at higher voltage and deliver more headroom and better fidelity.
Old Maxon 12v AD900 and the original 18v AD80.

Of course many shoppers read descriptions of broken tape delays running stretched tape through cracked pinch rollers, as if old time tape delay users wanted bad sound.
Funny market!

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
Yes, because I am considering one at the moment that is on my wish list. Normally I wouldn't think of spending more the $200.00 on any pedal, but this one appears to have what I am looking for. It would rally round out my pedal board at this time.

TheMattJones88

TDPRI Member
If it's what you really want, I say do it. I dropped $350 on a ManecoLooper "Sweet 16", which is the closest clone of a EHX 16 Second Delay that's available. Haven't regretted it for a second.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Hard to say why this is "high end". It's boutique with boutique prices, and it's mostly a clone of an EHX model. For some reason there's this weird thing with boutique favoring players like EHX doesn't still make these pedals anymore.

Right now they have:

MT - $102 - (550ms, Very simple, Darker voice)
MB - $134 - (550ms, Darker voice, no rate control
DMB-700TT - $184 (Darker voice but more features)
Nano DMM - $203 (Tiny, no tap tempo, 550ms, has rate control)
XO DMM - $239 (Closest feature set to the original)
DMM-550TT - $283. (The J. Rocket lines up most closely with this one, but this one has some features the J.Rocket doesn't have and vise versa)
DMM-1100TT - $423 (More features and more delay time than the J. Rocket, expensive cause it has 2x the chips the J. Rocket has)

EHX pretty much has us all covered at just about any pricepoint and feature setup.
Interesting perspective. “Boutique” meaning low volume manufacturing, does indeed drive up prices. Odd though, I have never found an EHX pedal that I liked. I know lots of people here like them though.

mojek

Tele-Meister
YES! Buy it and test it. You have normally 1 whole month to return it, so enough time to decide. If you love it, you keep it without regrets!
Good luck!;)

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I had a deep credit at a music store so I got a strymon night sky about a month ago , no regretsat all, prior to that by a few years i got an Eventide H9 Max for twice that amount , the quality of these units is far superior to cheap pedals , but having said this it all depends on your ears and what you need any pedal for, or other unit for that matter.
but being musicians finding what we need on a budjet is always an issue.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
This thread reminded me of a delay pedal I bought new for $49 a while ago but never really use it.

Would you pay $150+ for this pedal, used?

behringervintagetimemachine.jpg