Would You Treat Yourself to a $400 Delay Pedal?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by KrenarCilku, Oct 25, 2021.

1. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

Hey guys,

I recently had the chance to play the new J.Rockett Clockwork delay pedal.

It's an awesome fully analog tape echo delay that also has a boost and modulation function but the thing is, it clocks in (pun intended) at around $400...

For the same amount, for $100 more you could get an hx stomp that does everything but man, the Clockwork does have a particular vibe to it that makes you want to play non stop!

My question to you is, do you feel a delay pedal can be justified at $400?

Here's a quick overview video I did with it:

Cheers!

Maguchi likes this.
  2. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

An original Memory Man or a tape echo (provided you could ever find one for that price), yeah.

I use delay on all the time, so I’m not against paying more for it. But I’ve found enough great sounding options in the $150-250 range that I don’t see a need to spend more unless it’s for something truly special.

Maguchi likes this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m shopping/saving/justifying for an analog “tape” simulator delay right now. This is on my list to try. That’s a lot of bones but it’s in line with a lot of delay prices at the higher end.
    My answer to your question is still “maybe”.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Afflicted

If it had NOS MN3005 bucket brigade chips then sure. Those are like gold. I've got four of them in my modified double aquapuss pedal that I built. I scored them for 5$ a piece before they became unobtanium.

telemnemonics likes this.
  5. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I'd rather have apple pie and ice cream, but I'm a simple kind of man.

Bluego1 and tomasz like this.
  6. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

It all depends on what you need it for, I'd be worried, that someone spills beer on it in a pub, for my other uses I don't see a reason to have such an investment. But my needs are pretty simple, when it comes to pedals :)

Tele-friend likes this.
  7. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

No. I can’t justify it, based on my preferred playing style and preferred sound.

If a client needed that sound and if I couldn’t find a Sonar/BandLab plug-in that could get it, maybe. But I would exhaust that avenue before I would buy it. I already have a ton of pedals that lie unused, in addition to the 17 in my current pedalboards.

magicfingers99 likes this.
  8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

For that price or less I'd rather have one of the various current EHX DMM models (which I do).

Howard Davis seems to be letting his name be used a lot, but all these pedals are still generally just clones of the DMMs with slightly different features and the only reasons to choose them tend to be very specific use cases.

The reasons to choose this over one of the EHX DMM 1100/550-TT models:

- You want less possibility for runaway distortion/self-oscillation (could be negative or positive)
    - You want stereo
    - You don't want the FX Loop on the EHX ones
    - You don't care about the more flexible use of the expression pedal on the EHX ones
    - You don't care about the more flexible tap tempo on the EHX ones
    - You don't care about using the A/B feedback feature on the EHX ones
    - You want the bypass boost thing, the EHX one will boost but not without the effect being on
    - You don't care about the longer possible delay time on the EHX 1100-TT model.

This one is not actually more expensive though, so you really gotta decide on which features are important

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I get the value of higher end pedals. I eventually went that direction albeit “used”, but nevertheless, even though I liked those $300 pedals (and there are some great ones in that price bracket), I went with sub $200 (that I paid much less for), and have been completely satisfied and have not changed my pedalboard for about three years now. For the professional recording artist, $400 could easily be justified.

I suppose it is all relative though. People spend $2k for an amp, so at that point a $400 delay pedal might seem very reasonable. As a consumer and a creative artist, these are dilemmas that only we can sort out on our own. Perhaps the lack of travel over the last year and a half saved enough dollars to “treat” yourself. If you use delay as an always on effect, maybe this should be your most expensive pedal. If it inspires you to the next level of creativity, who can place a price on that?

Good luck on your creative sonic journey.

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Hard to say why this is "high end". It's boutique with boutique prices, and it's mostly a clone of an EHX model. For some reason there's this weird thing with boutique favoring players like EHX doesn't still make these pedals anymore.

Right now they have:

MT - $102 - (550ms, Very simple, Darker voice)
    MB - $134 - (550ms, Darker voice, no rate control
    DMB-700TT - $184 (Darker voice but more features)
    Nano DMM - $203 (Tiny, no tap tempo, 550ms, has rate control)
    XO DMM - $239 (Closest feature set to the original)
    DMM-550TT - $283. (The J. Rocket lines up most closely with this one, but this one has some features the J.Rocket doesn't have and vise versa)
    DMM-1100TT - $423 (More features and more delay time than the J. Rocket, expensive cause it has 2x the chips the J. Rocket has)

EHX pretty much has us all covered at just about any pricepoint and feature setup.

NoTeleBob likes this.
  11. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I spent a tenth of that on my Dan-Echo; if I were going to drop big bucks on something like that, it would be on a vintage oilcan unit or something similar (noting $400 probably wouldn't get me there).

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I like the video…they play, talk a bit, then play some more—and give some basic baseline sounds (a “dry” signal, so you know what the guitar sounds like without the effect). The pedal itself is nice—sounds good.

However, I can’t justify it, considering my (infrequent) use of delay/echo. My MXR Carbon Copy works fine for my needs…

But if that’s what floats your boat, go for it!

6String69 likes this.
  13. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I got into a Hermida EPH-3 for under $100 at one of the Lovepedal weekend sales and it spoiled me -- the echo seems to be around the note, not getting in the way, and the preamp section does seem to have a little magic to it. The more expensive pedals seem to want to do Pink Floydy stuff that I don't need. I don't use a ton of echo -- a slow slap for some blues stuff, a longer ghost echo for some more distorted solo sounds -- and this thing is all I need.

Had an Alter Ego x4 for a while and there were some fun and useful sounds in that box, too, but one day it just up and died.

GGardner likes this.
  14. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

No.

15. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

16. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Friend of Leo's

Since I bought a Strymon Volante for about that much, I guess my answer is yes. Whether or not it's really worth it is completely subjective. For me, besides sounding great any pedal in that price range (delay or otherwise) needs to offer something fairly unique and also provide more functionality than a one trick pony.

17. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Red Ryder likes this.
  18. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Holic

Short answer, no. 400$ is too much.
    The most I have ever paid for a pedal with shipping was 250€ - Analogman's Sun face. The rest of the pedals were all below 120€.
    400$ is already in the guitar price territory for me;)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Sure I would, just not on that pedal. I'd get an Eventide H9 Max or similar.

Frodebro likes this.
  20. Lowspeid

Lowspeid TDPRI Member

Yes. I bought a UA Starlight, and LOVE that pedal. It's $399 new (I paid full price). For ME, and what I want/need it's worth every penny.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.