Would You Trade...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WrayGun, Feb 26, 2020.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

Assuming that you could establish approximate monetary values of two guitars ... Would you trade your PRS S2 Custom for a Stratocaster of the same monetary value ... if the Strat was a partscaster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fendereedo and pickaguitar like this.
  2. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

No.

3. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

Probably. While they're definitely beautiful, I've never been a big PRS fan myself.

4. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Never!

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

yes...but I'm not a prs fan so

Fendereedo and bftfender like this.
  6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If the Strat is the right tool for the job and the PRS isn't, then I would definitely make the trade.

OTOH, everybody needs a humbucker guitar, and a Strat, and a Tele. So I might keep the PRS if
    it was doing a good job of taking care of my humbucker need.

If you're in the game of GAS, it helps to be totally dispassionate about it, kind of like an experienced
    used car buyer and seller. Take the sentimentality and
    voodoo out of it. What do you need, what is it worth on the market, and who cares about whatever
    stuff anybody says-- the market tells you what stuff is really worth. If you're driving a Miata but you
    suddenly need a truck, what is the Miata worth, what is the truck worth, and how do I switch the vehicle
    that isn't meeting my needs for the vehicle that will meet my needs at the lowest cost? You can always
    get another Miata pretty much exactly like the one you sold if you ever need one again.

Fendereedo, Steerforth and bftfender like this.
  7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Trick question. There are no partscasters that worth the same money as a PRS S2 Custom. The only exception would be if you would classify a Ron Kirn or a Hahn or something like that as a partscaster.

KT89, Fendereedo, mkdaws32 and 2 others like this.
  8. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Not a fan of PRS guitars, but no I still wouldn't do it. I once did a straight swap of a late 80's Gibson Les Paul Studio for a (then new) Fender MIJ '57RI Stratocaster. I've still got the Strat.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If you buy a new Silverado crew cab, and pay cash for it I'll trade you my CRv for it straight across, you better act quickly though, I might change me mind.

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I don’t see any reason to have s PRS at the S2 level. The birds look like bird droppings and pickups and electronics are imported. I’d have nothing to trade. At the level of a Custom 24 versus a Fender CS Strat, I’d keep my Strat. I play my CS ‘69 more than all my other guitars combined. A Custom 24 costs too much to spend its time in its case or be a guitar in the rotation.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Fendereedo likes this.
  11. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Nope, a partscaster, even made with parts the same price as the PRS will never have the same value and cache when you're telling to sell.

I never got on with PRS until I changed the pickups in my old one. Went for SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers and it changed it into kind of a very slick modern Les Paul. Something to young about before selling.

Fendereedo and teletail like this.
  12. wrvond

wrvond TDPRI Member

No.

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

It maybe of the same value in theory, but just try to sell it.

VWAmTele, Fendereedo and wrvond like this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I agree...this is a trick question!

Do the math, figure out what both are REALLY worth, then decide if you still want to do the trade
    even though you'd take a bath. Chances are if you share the objective market information with your
    counter party they might be willing to sweeten the pot if they really want your PRS. They could
    throw in some cash, or a pedal, or something, to make the trade more equitable. If they don't
    want to sweeten the deal, and you don't want to take a bath, then find a different deal. Simple.

Why might you still want to make the trade? Perhaps you've played dozens of Stratocasters of all
    makes and models, and you put this one in your hands and it is by far the best Stratocaster you
    have ever played in your life. Exactly matches the feel and the sound you had in your head.
    You know that this will be a keeper-for-life. Well, in that case the actual market value is not as
    important because it is worth way more than that to you. You already know that it plays better
    for you personally than a branded Strat that is worth four times as much.

In that case, hell
    yes, make a deal. What something is worth to YOU can be different from what something
    is worth to the market. Both numbers matter. Often they are close, but sometimes they
    are far apart. It goes the other way, too. A PRS might be worth $1,500 to the market, but
    worthless to you. In which case sell it at the market price and pocket the delta.

But in this scenario you have to play it cool, bluff, and act like you really only want to pay
    market price even though secretly this is the Holy Grail you've been looking for and would
    willingly pay far more. This isn't a crazy scenario, either. I am the proud owner of a Partscaster
    I bought for about $350 that is by far the best Tele I've ever played, and I've played many.
    Others might go, "sniff, just another partscaster", but this is the ONE for me. I sold off
    all my other Teles once I got my #1...although I've acquired a two-WRHB one since then.

Fendereedo and gkterry like this.
  15. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

No, not me.

Fendereedo likes this.
  16. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, but I'm not a fan of PRS.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to add I would want an extra bit of added cash thrown in too.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  17. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

No.

Fendereedo likes this.
  18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Probably not for a partscaster unless it had some expensive features. But the S2 is not a guitar I could bond with... they were cheap when I had them...

Fendereedo likes this.
  19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

you couldn't have a partscaster that could be the same value as a PRS.

If the assembler had a name and a following, then you could establish a value... but partscasters are usually worth LESS than half the sum of their parts at purchase. So, yeah. It isn't a question.

Fendereedo likes this.
  20. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

No.

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.