Would you trade this guitar for this stereo?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rhythmjones, Jul 26, 2014.

1. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

Right now my only methods of listening to music are ear-buds, ****ty external computer monitors, or my TV speakers. Not ideal. I've been meaning to get into vintage hi-fi equipment, but I don't really have the budget for that.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/4541425967.html

This guy is trying to trade his NIKKO receiver with a CD/DVD player and speakers. I'd add a phonograph, a digital i/o and be good, maybe upgrading down the line piece by piece.

I offered in trade my Frankensteined Modern Player Telecaster Plus which I've put a Mean-90 in, with an Esquire pickguard and painted poorly (by me). I haven't played it in months.

[​IMG]

I kinda thought he'd say no, but he said yes. I'm not sure what to do. It'd get me started with a stereo system, and I have other guitars that I love better. Neither the stereo or the guitar are very great, and I'd consider it an equal trade monetarily. I'm leaning toward doing it to upgrade my music listening situation, without putting much of a dent into my guitar playing situation.

Would you do it?

2. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

I personally am fine with regular speakers, ear buds and surround sound. That said I myself wouldn't trade a guitar for a speaker, but that's really up to you. Will you miss the guitar after it's gone? And does the stereo have any issues and if anything pops up can you afford to fix it? I only ask because I don't know the value on it/on the parts for those things :)

3. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

If you don't mind losing that guitar, and want that sound system, then go for it.

My friend has some old school speakers much like that from the 70's, and they sound awesome - except he's an electrician and knew what he was doing to repair them, because they weren't in great nick.

It's really entirely up to you.

I think trading a guitar in for some big-arse speakers just so you can listen to music is a little extreme when you could just go get some over-ear headphones for cheap.

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

IMO, 350 is a little high for that setup. The speakers may need re-coning at this age. I would value the system at around 300. If you would part with that Tele for 300, I'll bet you could find a better system for the bucks. HST, it's not a terrible deal either.

You may want to consider getting some powered studio monitors, I like the Alesis M1:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M1ActiveMkII

These will absolutely kick butt over those old speakers, and no need for an external amp. You can pick up a decent CD player used or new for pretty cheap. Good luck!

5. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Goodness no, I would not make that deal.

The guy will be lucky to get $100 for his stereo stuff.
    You cant give that stuff away.

Keep following craigslist and just buy what you want when
    the price is right.

6. johnb

johnb Tele-Meister

That Nikko receiver is probably from the 70s and trust me they weren't that good back then and don't get better with age.
    Not a good deal for you.
    For $200 you could score a better receiver and some bookshelf speakers from Craigslist. New, these Pioneers are only $79 at Best Buy and get great reviews - [​IMG]
    Cheaper used but there is a lot more to chose from out there.

7. dr.chevalier

dr.chevalier Tele-Holic

ditto, keep or sell the guitar, don't trade it. old stereos hold their value almost as much as used guitar strings

8. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Just cuz that thing is housed in a wood box
    doesn't mean it's any good.

Stick with Pioneer, Kenwood, Marantz, Sansui
    from those good old days of the 70's.
    They sound warm.

there's some good stuff out today also
    but weeding through the 100's of crap
    Harmon Kardon stuff just to find the real
    gem is laborious.

I bet if you look around you could find
    a nice decent stereo setup from that era.
    It's just sitting in the corner of someone's
    garage. Waiting for you.

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I'm inclined to agree with Harold here.

Those speakers are the issue. As others have said, even if they were good quality once they look old and the cones are probably falling apart. You can find used receivers and CD players for $50 apiece. So you'd be trading your Tele for about $100 of stereo and two old speaker cabinets.

Get a used receiver and CD player off CL or at a garage sale, and go buy a pair of nice bookshelf speakers new.

10. wildkat-bob

wildkat-bob Tele-Afflicted

You would be better off with a 50 watt Sony boombox that you could probably get used of craigslist for $50.00 than that old thing. And the chances are real good that it would sound 50 times better.

11. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

there you go, that's a smart option for yourself.

12. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Just look at local thrift shops and buy known brands or what looks to be quality.

13. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

old stereos=$ for repairs.

14. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

NIKKO stereo equipment were actually pretty good for the money.
    But any piece of stereo gear from the 70's to early 80's is living on....borrowed time.
    A qualified tech will charge you more than the old NIKKO is worth for any repair work.
    Unless you have the skill to trouble-shoot and repair the equipment yourself, I'd give it a pass.

15. bparnell57

I run vintage and antique hifi and radio gear from the early 50's to the late 70's and as long as you know how to troubleshoot and do maintenance and basic repairs, you'll be very happy. Just got a late 70's technics 55 watt per channel receiver and I'm very happy with it taking over for a cheap 90's zenith all in one. The sound quality on properly functioning vintage gear is normally great for the money.

16. johnb

johnb Tele-Meister

The Nikko integrated amps and separates were good but the receivers were crap. Really they were. Especially the series with the blue lights. I sold them for a while. When there was a dynamic peak in the music the receiver's panel lights would dim. Sure sign of weak power supply.
    Vintage may be a little out of your budget but there are some decent "younger" stereo receivers from Marantz, Denon, or Onkyo that should meet your needs Like this - http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ele/4550996764.html

Be sure it has a phono input as not all modern receivers do.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  17. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

the others have already said it - w/ rare exceptions, most hi-fi gear from the old school days is on the free-table at garage sales.
    that's not to say it's worthless - I have some in my shelf too.
    just can't expect anybody to pay me for it (or lay a sweet partscaster on me)

I join the others in saying "you could probably do better"
    Peace - Deeve

18. bparnell57

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1406426742.072275.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1406426770.351411.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1406426815.666506.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1406426975.182260.jpg
    Once you go back, you can never go back... To the future.

19. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

Take a look at shopgoodwill.com. It has listings of stuff from goodwill stores across the country in a bidding configuration. Cheap prices, even with shipping. Lots of old stereo gear hits it, along with grandpa's old instruments and magazine collection after he's gone on. The stuff there is pretty wild and you need a leap of faith to buy sight unseen, but if you know how to turn a screwdriver, it's got some bargains.

20. Kyluckyman

Kyluckyman Tele-Holic

I have given thought to your post and think the best way to go will be to sell the guitar and look for a great amp and speakers. I bought a very nice Yamaha stereo amp, some JBL speakers and a Dual turntable (I restored it myself BTW) for about what your guitar will sell for about 6 years ago. It might be a good idea to educate yourself on speakers, hi fi equipment and specs before buying so you can spot value when it presents itself. Have fun and let your ears be the final judge! Oh yeah, keep your eyes peeled for old record albums. I find some from time to time in excellent condition and enjoy them immensely.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.