Would you sell your car for a new guitar or gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chunkocaster, Sep 8, 2019.

Would you sell or downgeade your car to fund a new guitar or gear?

1. Yes i would downgrade car to buy gear

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Yes i would sell car and walk or hitchhike to buy new gear

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. No my car is more important than new gear

52 vote(s)
    69.3%
  4. I dont have a car

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  5. Can i get a ride?

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Seems like it would have to be a really, really expensive guitar to be worth the value of either of our vehicles. What are we talking about? A vintage '52 Tele?

Anyway, no way. I don't need that expensive a guitar.

Chunkocaster and Marc Morfei like this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

due to wife's brain injury. Sold my Harley..all the money is my gear funds. Didn't have to sell but somethings you do together ..also..the roads are full of people not paying attention....its been a wild gear ride last 2 years tho....quite the stash built up & every keeper has made it to the studio for use

Chunkocaster likes this.
  3. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Depends on the car, depends on the guitar.

Would I sell a '57 Plymouth Fury convertible for a '62 Strat? Probably not.

Would I sell a 2009 Honda Civic for a '58 Les Paul Jr.? Absolutely.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

When I was in college I sold my Chevy Blazer (gas hog) for a Pinto and cash. Drove across the Idaho state line to Washington and went to the largest music store in Spokane. I picked up a 100 watt per side PA system, Tascam Model 3 mixer and a 1981 Vibrolux guitar amp (new) with the money. This however was back in the day when you could generate income by playing in clubs and bars. The Blazer was costing me money and the gear generated income, easy decision. I made sure the speakers and gear fit inside that Pinto with the seats folded down. Mini road machine. Drove the Pinto to a Ford dealer who put the gas tank shield (mandated by the US Gov) steel plate underneath. This was so it would not blow up on impact. College days.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

The gear I own now is already worth more than the car I own. Right now I am not gassing for gear or cars.

JB74, Chunkocaster and 8trackmind like this.
  6. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

I heard this joke once:

If your guitar is worth more than you car - you might be a musician!

Guilty as charged. I couldn't buy a nice guitar if I were to sell my car!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. JB74

JB74 TDPRI Member

Put into context... If you parked your Gullwing Mercedes out on the street, people would admire from a distance.

If you put a 59 Les paul out in the middle of a music store, it would be missing within the hour.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's interesting that the poll results indicate the majority think the sale of their vehicle would mean all proceeds would go on one guitar purchase rather than selling a car to buy several guitars and pieces of gear that may be currently unaffordable but still maintaining enough funds to replace the car with a cheaper car.

I'm not sure if that's because the majority own cheap cars or value their cars much more than guitars/ gear and want to maintain the best car they can afford. They may also own cars under finance or they may already own all the gear they want.

I think that of all the things I own if money was tight my car would go and be replaced with a cheaper one before I would sell my favorite guitar or amp.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  9. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I got rid of my car years ago so I could afford to eat (and buy guitars, although cheap ones). Luckily, my two jobs were very close by, one a block away, and the other within a two mile bike ride. The further one (the fun one, it was a guitar store) lost their location and moved too far away, so I left eventually, after trying to take the bus to the new location for a few months. I've only acquired a few nicer guitars in the last few years, by living VERY frugally, and pinching pennies like a miser! But, that's now come to an end, as my healthcare costs have increased substantially this year, as my income has been reduced. So, now my gear purchases have become very few and far between.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Nope, you can't drive a guitar to work to fund a guitar and a car.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

The ultimate first world dilemma!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

Is not a joke. Is real life for me...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

”Would you sell or downgeade your car to fund a new guitar or gear?”

I’ve been known to hit & run

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

You don't have an option for "yeah, I've already done that before"

But it wasn't my only car.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's obviously a priority thing. Some own $40k cars and complain that they cant afford a $2k guitar rather than consider downgrading the car. The value of my vehicles has always gone up or down depending on my financial needs and wants. It's much easier to liquidate a car and replace it with a cheaper one than it is to change accommodation or sell property and for the most part the majority of peoples money is tied up in property or their vehicle.

I've been putting off much needed dental work for years so I could buy guitars etc.:)

16. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I was just about ready to sell my wife’s not-running minivan to the scrapyard - figured I’d get about 300 dollars. Ended up trading it to a guy for a Gibson ES-120T. I hope he got the van running.

17. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

No, but I did just sell my ‘95 Dodge work truck. It will pay for my new phone in a week and a half. That’s sorta like gear. Still have my work van & Jeep. Don’t need guitars or amps at the moment.

18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

If I sold my ride I'd be out of a job and possibly in jail, since it's a company car. :D I don't think I'd sell a car to buy a guitar though, since if I had my own car it wouldn't be a particularly expensive one, probably a fixer-upper, so downgrading it further might mean I'd have a really unreliable car.

If I was that poor that I couldn't afford to buy a secondhand Squier, or similar just for something to play, then I think I'd have bigger problems than worrying about what guitar I could play. It's not like I make a living out of playing, though I hate not being able to play something (I miss my guitar playing when I'm on holiday for example).

Of course in truth that means my guitars are worth more than my car since I technically don't own one. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.