1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Would you rather be without hearing, or sight?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

That's easy - neither.

If there was a third choice that included smell, then I would go down that route, just so I could sit peacefully and not smell dog fart on an evening.

unixfish likes this.
  2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Sort of.... the fantasy lone got killed off and replaced with a new line. The scifi line is largely similar to how it used to be. At any rate, I've been painting a lizardmen army for 10 years or so. Bound to finish eventually.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I started asking myself that question as a very small kid, though I’m not sure why.
    Maybe because I had childhood allergies and regularly found myself unable to breathe.

I prefer to keep both but in observing deaf people and blind people, I think the blind are more connected while the deaf are more alone.
    Add in music the choice gets easier.
    Then my mind is constantly processing sounds and looking for aberrations that indicate changes in my surroundings.
    Pretty sure I would go mad with no hearing.

4. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Beethoven did OK after he went deaf.

5. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I'd rather be blind than deaf. I've heard (see?) that being deaf is more socially isolating than being blind. That, and music. I could live without music, but it would be a debilitating loss.

6. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Speaking as if I must make a choice and from my present state, I’d rather lose my hearing. I would still be able to read, see a smile & other expressions, feel my wife’s touch, smell the Autumn woods. I’d prefer that to losing my sight. I’m trying to help a friend this very day; she has several health problems but the one she’s really struggling with is near total blindness from macular degeneration. I known others that are nearly completely deaf who seem to get by better.

I think my choice might be different if the choice were which would I rather be born with?

7. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Hearing. I'd hate not being able to hear music but I could learn to read lips and get by. Being blind would be much more difficult to overcome IMHO.

8. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Hi, I’m sorry for your condition and do not want to sound insensitive, but how did you find this thread, create a new forum profile and then respond if you cannot see? Is there a special software you use? This curious mind wants to know.

9. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

You haven't read much about Beethoven's late life, have you? Spoiler alert: He was not ok.

P Thought likes this.
  10. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

I lost all hearing in one ear and have diminished hearing in the other. It sucks, but I'd probably give up the other ear before I'd go blind. Besides, I need my eyes to see where to put my fingers when playing guitar.

11. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Same, zero hesitation. I love visual art, majored in design, have been an avocational photographer for 25 years, and I'd give it all up for music.

My best friend when I was a kid had an older brother who was deaf from birth and it is a world of "darkness" unto itself from where I sit. Everyone's calculus is different though, I get it. What a choice.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Helen Keller famously said she’d much rather be blind than deaf.

I think she felt that way because she had adapted to her blindness and had learned to cope with it.

smoothrecluse likes this.
  13. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I'd rather be deaf than blind. When I went to the doctors 20 years ago about my tinnitus, he told me that some people choose to have their auditory nerve severed rather than put up with the noise, and I can respect that. Mine's not that bad...

I realised a few years back that I'm relying on a certain amount of lip-reading now, because if you turn away while speaking to me it all goes muffled and gets difficult to decipher...

smoothrecluse likes this.
  14. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a really good friend who’s a *sort of* famous blues artist. He also happens to be an amputee. Had a weird blood disease that caused him to lose a leg as a teen. The last time we played together he was making fun of me cause I can’t see hardly anything anymore without my glasses on. I’m pretty useless without them for anything within 5-6 feet of me. Further out I do much better, but I digress.

I told him he should be praying that I go totally blind. Cause if I do, we won’t have to even try that hard. Put on some decent suits and get our picture taken, do a couple interviews.

After that we can write our own ticket. Because a blind Texan and a one legged Indian are gonna have the best selling Blues record of the last 40 years. We’re gonna sell a million copies as preorders. Before anyone ever hears a note of it.

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's a bad bargain, but if I can't hear, I can't play, and if I can't play, then what's the use?
    I guess to quote Etta James, I'd rather go blind.

smoothrecluse, P Thought and Jakedog like this.
  16. RhythmFender

RhythmFender Tele-Meister

I’d rather be blind. Music is too important to me.

Jakedog and brookdalebill like this.
  17. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Check back with me in about three years and I’ll give you the definitive answer as to which one sucks the most.

breadfreak and smoothrecluse like this.
  18. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This is a lot more difficult to answer than I’d expect. If I were deaf, I could still build guitars, (and look at them), and if I were blind, I could still play them...well, as good as I can play.

19. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Music would be a terrible loss, but I'd take blindness first, because of the terrible isolation that deafness brings. There's a short film, Beethoven Lives Upstairs. Beethoven was not all right.

Of course this is not a matter of choice. Either condition would be hard.

20. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't care either way... As long as I could still play a mean pinball.

57fenderstrat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.