1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Would you rather be without hearing, or sight?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Feb 24, 2021.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I say hearing, and my sons have agreed when we had this discussion a month ago or so.

I mean as much as I love music and all - the thought of literally being in eternal darkness is terrifying to me

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. d barham

d barham Tele-Afflicted

I’d rather lose my hearing than my sight. I’d only be a slightly worse musician and i could still drive.

3. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’d rather lose my hearing. I agree that total darkness would be terrible. After having the unmentionable, I’m still mostly without taste and smell.

aging_rocker likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

One of my sons was born mostly deaf in one ear, and it's caused him plenty of trouble through life.
    And he also agreed that total deafness would be better than totaly blindness

aging_rocker likes this.
  5. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think I'd rather be blind. Although, I guess that would mean giving up on building amps and driving. I couldn't see that working out very well.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I'm losing my hearing, lost 40% in each ear at different frequencies. I think I'd rather lose my sight than my hearing though, being as music is such a huge part of my life.

7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Don’t you wonder sometimes
    About sound and vision?

Stillhouse likes this.
  8. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Easy, I'd lose my sight.

Being able to speak to other people is how you build relationships. There is way more information that is shared through speaking, tone, phrasing, emphasis, etc compared to sight. Reaction times based on hearing are faster too, plus the heightened spider senses and whatnot, I'd be a regular super hero. Also, Led Zeppelin. What would I lose? Seeing all the nasty people who don't take care of themselves? I'd love to lose the ability to understand "the people of walmart" hahaha.

This one isn't even close!

9. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Lost my vision at age 34 due to a genetic condition I was unaware of. Deafness and blindness aren’t in the same ballpark, regardless of your affinity for music.

elihu, dented, haggardfan1 and 2 others like this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

After having an occipital lobe stroke a few years ago that caused partial blindness, homonymous hemianopia, for a time, I was glad that therapy restored most of my vision.

dented likes this.
  11. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Wow...... dunno, beings as I can barely see without glasses, and my hearing leaves much to be desired (damned RAMONES ;) ) Hard call...

telemnemonics likes this.
  12. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It's a tough one. Both types of isolation are profound. I imagine it's harder to navigate the world blind than deaf but I hope to never find out.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  13. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

ISWYDT. :D

bowie_sound_and_vision_2-24-21.jpg

In answer to the OP's question, as much as I love music, I think I'd rather be deaf. At least with sight, I can drive, write, read, etc. And I do take precautions with my hearing, not blasting the studio monitors or the car stereo too loud, etc. And I'm really looking forward to resuming wearing Eargasm earplugs when the current unpleasantness has ended, and live concerts resume.

drf64 likes this.
  14. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Neither.

It would be easier to couch potato up and use that subtitles button with no hearing, and I'd probably get good at painting warhammer armies and take another stab at drawing and painting. But I wouldn't be able to do much of what I enjoy, or communicate properly.

If I were blind, I'd be forced to become alot better at guitar quickly; theres expectations to uphold when you cant do much else. I think blindness would force you to rely on other people more than deafness.

I'd rather trade a leg and have at least one eye. Could be a pirate.....

15. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

This is a valid point, but everyone else's comments and some reflection make this a damn tough call.

For instance: would I rather be able to hear my girlfriend's lovely, familiar voice and communicate in my accustomed manner, or to see her and the kids and have to relearn communication skills? Both prospects are pretty bleak, although I know well our capacity to adapt.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Sconnie likes this.
  16. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

To quote Etta James- I’d rather go blind.

And it’s not even close.

17. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jakedog likes this.
  18. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Holy heck, I haven’t heard about warhammer for 20 years, is it even still a thing

I had a neighbor that was into it when I was a kid

19. greenhornet

greenhornet Tele-Meister

Hearing. Have enough music in my head to last me a lifetime.

And it didn't hurt Beethoven.

20. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I worked for the Australian Hearing Service for about 20 years and have seen first hand the sheer look of wonder and amazement on the face of an infant when her Coclear Implant device was first activated. (A great Australian invention!)

One of our senior Audiologists was born profoundly deaf but through perseverance and lots of hard work she was able to speak with the aid of super powered hearing aids that would have just about deafened a normal hearing person.

In my opinion hearing and sight are about on a par in the important senses department!!!

DC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.