Would you rather be without electricity, or water?

Ted Keane

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I have a friend who lives here in the mountains.He's abandoned his well that went dry,and they took his water rights away.Now his house also doesn't have a septic,because it needs to be replaced.It's gross there.He's been there 20 years,with a galvanized trough in the basement for when he can borrow some water from a neighbor.Being a plumber,it bothers me.No real showers/baths/flushing toilet/washing hands,ect.For 20 years!

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have no powered heating /cooling systems here... and enough rain to collect in a tank..

power for a fridge would be the thing that I'd need... though, I have grid feed solar on the roof, I could convert that system for 12V to charge batteries for some lighting/water pump... and a 12v fridge/cooler.... or rectify the panels for 240v..

I could lay out black poly pipe on the roof/higher ground for collecting hot water on sunny days...

swim in a warm ocean all year round for a salty bath..;)

carpenter

Tele-Afflicted
The house I live in now was not lived in for 20 years. We came and looked at it and it was in rough shape.
Then assessed what I could see what had to be done and said ok. Went back up north after I hired a lawyer
here. He handled the closing. Finished the house up there sold it moved here. Had city turn water on day we arrived and a rust trickle came out of pipes. No water for 3 weeks. Which means no toilet no shower.
Once a week rent a hotel room fill up 15 5 gallon buckets and take a shower. Had electricity though.

goonie

Friend of Leo's
I assume OP was talking about being without mains water, not water itself. Which, as many have pointed out, is not good for you.

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
After the 1989 earthquake I was without electricity for 1 month and water for 3 months. I went and got water in 5 gallon jugs. That was so long ago I don't remember how I dealt with laundry. I was single at the time so... hee hee... it may have just stacked up. It was also pre-internet so the lack of electricity wasn't that big of a deal.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have to have water.
I have to be clean.
I can still play (acoustic) guitar, without electricity.
That said, I’m primarily an electric guitar player.
Luckily, presently I have both.
I’m feeling, uh, blessed at the moment.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
Definitely easier without electricity. I spent the last week of November '21 without electricity after the storms brought the power lines down here. Plus my wood burner was cracked and I was unwilling to risk carbon monoxide poisoning.
We had a fire going in the garden and a propane BBQ for hot food.

As far as water is concerned, I live around 3 miles from Loch Katrine which is where one of the first modern municipal water supply projects was built in the 1840s; hand dug/built aqueducts and tunnels to supply Glasgow 40 miles away. There were similar projects going on in Liverpool and New York at the same time, which have contributed more to public health than the best inventions of the pharma industry.

There are about 3 litres of beautiful clean fresh cold water that comes out of my kitchen tap and right down my neck every day. I couldn't last a day without it, at the very least my sanity would snap like a dry twig.

Now all I need is the wood burner repaired and some improvement on my 8mbps internet connection would be a bonus.
As somebody has already mentioned, I have an acoustic guitar to cover our frequent electricity supply problems.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
Starting late Saturday night, I had neither. Electricity was off due to the rare winter storm in North Georgia, well pump needs electricity, so there you go. Power was restored late yesterday (Monday). Got a gas range, so it can be ignited with a lighter, so we could cook, also got unvented gas logs that were able to maintain low/mid 60's, so it was a pain in the a$$, but surviveable. Shopping now for a generator, just don't know if I'm ready to lay out $10,000+ for a whole house system. Hell, that's enough for two Les Paul R9's!

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
We have well water. So when we lose electricity, we lose water. I've not yet been unable to persuade Mrs. Gardner into letting me get a natural gas backup generator installed. But I'm working on it.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I would rather go without water. It’s a lot easier to haul in water than electricity. A generator to power the whole house would be a big generator. I could always go somewhere to shower.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
Generally speaking if the electricity goes out we lose water too, because of the neighborhood well. If it's just my house that loses electricity, which has happened twice in 30 years, then we still have water.

It's also possible to have problems with the well and well house that have nothing to do with electricity.

Both suck equally.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Ben Franklin answered the op's question with this:

Flying his key kite in a electrical storm- he got...
(rain) Water!

So the answer is: electricity and water!

Last edited: