1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Would you rather be without electricity, or water?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by haggardfan1, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Luckily I live on a riverbank so can filter, sterilise and heat as much water as needed if i have power. It rains plenty enough to fill any water butts I might put out too.

Dual log/coal stove keeps main rooms warm. Got a nice big copse to gather fuel wood on the other side.

I imagine power loss will effect regional water supply anyway.

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

We don't usually drink from the faucet. I do sometimes (very rarely), but the water tastes bad. Can be boiled if needed.

I've been without water pressure before. You have to fill the bathtub, then use some kind of container to take water for washing your hands and a bucket to dump in the toilet.

More complicated is you want to take a bath. You need to boil several pots and pour the water in the tub. Kind of like in the old days, and it's impractical to take a bath more than once a week.

3. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Without electricity here we lose everything, no water, no heat, no lights, no stove. The longest we went without power was five days a few years ago in March. The inside temperature went down to 45. Since then I've gotten a generator, a supply of food and a way to boil water. But the most we could survive is two months before we start eating grass. Cheers!

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Can't live without water. Humankind did without electricity for many centuries.

Fretting out likes this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Hmm..... my well runs on electricity so no electric=no water, unless....I can collect rain water so maybe no electricity?

Depends on the time of year also....depends on the scenario too...also we 100% need water... THE QUANDARY!

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Most of the year you can't give water away around here...., I just need power to get it to the house taps. I'm sure I could figure out supply without power... I could cook outside on a BBQ with local fallen timber or gas.

refrigeration would be a concern, though... I'd need a 12V/gas/solar fridge, I have panels on the roof to drive something...

no need for winter heat or summer cooling here either.... shorts and T shirts year round...:D

tank overflows2.jpg

rcole_sooner likes this.
  7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I ask people to ask themselves is electricity as necessary for maintenance of human life as water?

No water, no sustenance and no food , plant growth. No electricity, which is good, but have our devices gotten the better of us .Could we generate in other ways? For years biologist have advocated safely regulated use of Uranium ( and safe disposal). My sister is a leading Biologist at Adelaide University and it even shocked me .

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Humankind has survived without electricity or running water for a million years.

9. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Electric, you can't survive long without water I suppose.

10. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I have a neighbor that has a 250gal water Buffalo with a solar powered pump so in mayor emergencies they can have water for washing & flushing. They use if for irrigation most of the time. They also have a small cistern of about 16,000gals

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I live in a desert, so it's water if the choice was indefinite..

If it's a closed period of time, I might choose electricity since I know where the wells are and the pumps run on electricity. I can haul water, it's still a common chore on some reservations.

12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

You can’t use electricity to extinguish a fire.

stxrus likes this.
  13. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I figure unless you're a Cyborg (hybrid plug-in model) that needs to be recharged every 6 to 24 hours, (depending on body use , exertion, etc.), you can continue living without electricity. Water is in a different class of need. Without water you die. "It was too bad 'bout what happened to Bill. Found him in his music room. Heat still on. Electricity to spare. There he was. Spread out on the floor with his guitar still strapped on, Jewel light glowin' on his amp. A bit of hum comin' through his speakers. Just a dried up husk. Looked like somebody stuck him in an oven on low heat and left him to desicate."

14. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

I can make due without water (lots of snow here right now), but...a long electrical outage could be pretty bad.
    My house has hot water heat, gas boiler, but still needs electricity to run the pump (it sort-of will work without the pump but only because heat rises), vent, and spark to ignite the gas.
    So no electricity, means no real heat.
    No heat and temps that go under 5 degrees at night = bad.
    No way to keep the house warm enough to prevent freezing.
    Which means me draining all the water pipes in the house, and turning off (and maybe draining) my upstairs zone, which means even less heat.
    Even with a fireplace burning like crazy, there is no way to keep the place habitable if it gets *really* cold out.
    Me maybe....wife and kids, nope.

A couple years ago we had a really bad cold spell for a couple weeks. Inside temp of my house was 56 degrees on couple mornings, and that was with everything working properly.

So yea...around here, lack of water is an inconvenience. Lack of electrical can be devastating.

15. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

One time, after a hurricane, we were without electricity for nine days. But water was still good.

Florida Power and Light finally got around to fixing our power drop. But to do so they backed a ~50,000lb truck into my yard.

Which crushed our sewer line. So we had power, but no toilets. No toilets was definitely a bigger inconvenience (especially for the girls).

:rolleyes::eek::lol:

16. Warren01

Warren01 Tele-Meister

We just went without both after a windstorm for about 36 hours. Water is way more important.

17. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Of those choices, I would much rather deal without electricity. Lanterns are fine and I still burn wood, but being without a working toilet (especially in the winter) is miserable. I grew up in an old farmhouse and if the electricity was lost, the pump in the well didn't work either so no toilets. The first thing we did before a storm was fill the bathtub up with water so that we could use a bucket to flush the toilet.

18. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I will never be without either electricity or water.

I keep a well-maintained generator that has demonstrated many times that it can power the house, and fresh, frequently-rotated fuel o'plenty to power it,
    and
    I live on a spring-fed creek that flows abundantly year 'round.

Now.
    Whiskey and beer is another story.
    I need to work on my survival plan for whiskey and beer.

:(

19. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

you`ll die without water

20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Some folks are just plain lucky. Hurricane Sandy hit Long Island in 2012. Power was out around us for weeks but I had nothing more than a few momentary interruptions. We opened our home to friends and relatives, moved in compact refrigerators and played host. Our only worry was JFK airport. We had a Hawaii vaccination booked and flights were cancelled day after day. We were frantic the day before our departure but got confirmation from an agent that our flight would go out on schedule. Gas stations were still closed but we saved enough in the tank to make it to the airport and back. We left leaving behind a house full of guests. When we got home, we still had relatives whose house was flooded in ours. The oil tank was down to less than 1/8. 10 showers a day burns oil. Quite honestly it was good to be gone while our house was full.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.