1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Would you rather be without electricity, or water?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by haggardfan1, Feb 24, 2021.

1. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

With well water, being without electricity means no water.

I'd rather be without power than water ... depending on a few factors ... like so cold water would freeze without power kinda means the choice is moot.

Anytime time we'd be threatened with power outage, I'd fill up some 5 gallon buckets to dip water from to flush toilets. Being able to flush is a must.

Milspec, dented and haggardfan1 like this.
  2. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Easy access to clean water is a no brainer. Water is a basic necessity....electricity isn't. If electricity was a basic necessity and not just a convenience then our species would have vanished several million years ago.

haggardfan1 and rcole_sooner like this.
  3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Reminds me why I'd like a Ford F-150 (although, figuring out how to afford it is a challenge).

f150generator.png

Telecastoff1 and haggardfan1 like this.
  4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

After the 1989 earthquake my power was out for a month and water for 4 months. I had to go fill jugs 1/4 mile away from a water tanker. I showered at a friend's place and occasionally au naturel in a galvanized keg tub using a camping shower. :eek: I have a generator now so can survive the occasional power outage relatively well. But, you gotta drink and you gotta flush the toilet more than you gotta read TDPRI or crank the amp. Sad but true!

haggardfan1 and rcole_sooner like this.
  5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I have artesian wells, so I’m not really ever completely without water.
    I have a generator, so I’m not completely out of electricity.
    Katrina left us without power for 11 days. It sucked and I had to drive to Baton Rouge every third day for generator fuel and groceries.

Ultimately, you die without water so I choose no electricity.

6. Dog Bite

Dog Bite Tele-Meister

Both can be a pita if not prepared. But having lived off grid for for years I learned I didn't need electricity to survive but could not live without water.

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Water as it really is essential. ( especially for out of shape diabetics)

Ashamed about this miserable situation ( years ago) that my lack of steady income put us in, but this is life:

In the middle of the Winter of 2014, our original gas furnace died (in a 1958 little Cape Cod house/ upstairs), and it literally burned itself up, could not be repaired, needed replaced, and we did not have + $3,000 to replace.

We made it through the Winter with electric space heaters at night, and turning on gas oven ( door 1/3 open) from 7:00-11:00 PM at night. And blankets. I was home daytime, freezing with our then new dog, Lucy lab.
    We made it thru the Winter. ( note: we had window AC units)

The Winter of 2015 was colder, no furnace, we went back to our S.O.P. to keep warm.
    But this time, 20° cold days/nights a water pipe line in laundry room near an exterior wall burst.
    We turned of water, ASAP, we paid plumber to repair, but were told ( without heat) that unless this line could be rerouted ( across ceiling) away from that wall, that this might happen again. We could not afford this either, and this happened again
    ( Btw, we turned water OFF every night but pipes still froze and burst...

Bottom line, we turned off the water, no heat, and bought 10 gallons of bottled water daily ( toilet flushing!) Heated up water for 'sponge baths'....
    Got through it. Miserable and embarrassing.
    We got pipes rerouted that Spring and furnaces replaced too as my mother in law passed on, and my wife inherited $$, and her car! ( mine had just died)

Good guitar player, bad provider

Milspec likes this.
  8. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Electricity, no question

9. Dereksys38

Dereksys38 Tele-Meister

Water! Someone had to say it:rolleyes:
    Kidding, of course electricity, inconvenient but manageable.

10. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Electricity.

11. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

Living through hurricanes, I've been without 'tricity for 4-5 days. Without water for 5-7 days. It's a toss up.
    We can't store up electricity, but we CAN store water in the tubs, and jugs and camping cans to wash under the arms and greasy hair. I can go 2 days without shampooing but I get real freaky after that. I still have camping equipment from yesteryear--coleman stove, fuel and 15 gallons of propane so good on cookin' too!

12. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

That's no fun for sure.

13. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. But I’ve learned Caribbean people, especially Crucians, are resourceful & resilient. If you can’t deal with two Cat 5 storms in twelve days you need to go somewhere else. And a lot of them did

haggardfan1 likes this.
  14. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Electricity, for sure. Fire up a generator and you're back in business.

15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have acoustic guitars , so this is a no brainer!

EsquireBoy and haggardfan1 like this.
  16. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

:)

24 track likes this.
  17. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm good no matter what!

I live out in the country and am pretty self sufficient. I have a large 13kw generator that runs on gas or propane, and it will run my water well and my gas heat. It's not quite enough to run the AC, but I have a portable unit if I ever need it. With a half full 500 gallon propane tank, I calculated I could manage for about a month. Plus we keep lots of food and supplies on hand (2 deep freezers and 3 fridges). We're not preppers or anything - it's just that we live 25 miles from the grocery store and hate shopping (we only go about every 2 weeks or so).

I'm in central TX and did lose power for about a half a day last week, but no problems. I have a space heater in my well house, and all pipes are thoroughly insulated. This was the worst I've seen in 20 years of living here, so it's nice to know I can weather the storm (pardon the pun!)

I guess those years of being a Boy Scout made me prepared!

Cheers,
    Doug

18. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I have bottled water, but I don't have bottled power. And, I have battery powered guitar amps, but I don't have enough candles. At the end of the day, I prefer not being without either for more than an hour or two at most.

19. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

Based on my most recent experience of having either/or and sometimes neither, I'll take water. However even having water can raise issues if boiling becomes a requirement and there's no electricity to lite off the (gas) stove. No electricity (for my situation) also means no hot water, which is gas, and needs electricity to operate. Sometimes it just becomes a SOL situation when events like the recent weather goes south!

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Off the grid for over 23 years with gravity fed spring water plus a micro hydro plant along our creek for our electricity. Oh, and a forest full of wood for heat.:cool:

Electricity is pretty simple if you have a generator. Bottled water is fairly easy to access most of the time too. My thought is refridgeration and toilet flushing would be the big concerns down in that concrete jungle. You all take care of yourselves and check your elderly neighbors to ensure that they are safe too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.