1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Would you rather be without electricity, or water?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by haggardfan1, Feb 24, 2021.

1. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

....all things considered, based on your location, gas vs all electric home, etc.? I understand that everyone's situation may be different.

We just went six days without running water after a pipe froze and split underneath the house. First, I realize that many people nationwide and many Texans have been in much more adverse conditions, and I feel for them deeply; this is merely curiosity on my part. Our problems were minimal in comparison to many.

Our house has a gas range, on which we can light the burners with a match or lighter if necessary. The water heater is gas, and works even if the power is out. We melted enough snow to flush the toilets, provide water for the dogs, brush our teeth, and one evening before we could drive anywhere safely, boiled enough snow down so my girlfriend could have about three inches of hot water in the bathtub.

After last week, I'm of the opinion that I could have kept warm somehow, but I can't get clean. Not to mention almost a week's worth of dirty dishes generated by a family of five, and the mountain of laundry.

Again, here's hoping that those much harder hit are beginning to recover, especially since the weather moderated so quickly.

Let's read your thoughts.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  2. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Electricity, because you can use a generator; which I did. We have a gas water heater so we could take showers. When the water pressure dropped and we had to boil water, we used the microwave. When the pressure came back up we could at least shower and flush. We also have a pool so we could use the toilet the whole time.

haggardfan1 and telestratosonic like this.
  3. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Regardless of how anything in my home is powered, I'd rather lose that than water.

I have a wood burning stove and a huge stack of firewood, and my house is small. I could keep everything from freezing here in Denver without much trouble. Water is life.

4. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Electricity, without question.

dented, Dereksys38 and Jim622 like this.
  5. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

In my area, I’d rather be without electricity. I don’t mind cold showers. After hurricanes, I’ll come home if there’s water.

haggardfan1 and Chester P Squier like this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

With you 100%. Power was cyclical, rolling usually 3-4 hours on and off. But I have coats and blankets and honestly if it got that bad I'd sit in the car.

But 4 people times 5+ days of bored eating and and the whole toilet thing, no showers, teenagers...
    Disgusting. The water was worse for me.

After a few days we were able to drive and went to Adelbert's brewery and they filled our containers with water and I filled the trunk with beer and there were a couple dozen friendly people joking around having beers in the parking lot, really nice to see all the smiles.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  7. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Personally, I would prefer access to water

8. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

green_henry, getbent and haggardfan1 like this.
  9. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

Clean running water and sanitation are civilization's greatest achievements. Electricity is a marvel too, but I'd choose water.

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Considering you can't survive without water, and power is a relatively recent innovation for most of the country, well, you get the idea.

11. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

All of my water comes from my well. If my electricity goes out so does the well pump, so there's virtually no difference between losing electricity or water at my home.

G&Lplayer, Telecastoff1 and bgmacaw like this.
  12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

For us it’s the same problem. We have a bunch of animals, need lots of water, are in a rural location and on a well operated by an electric deep-well pump.

Luckily for us our local electric co-op
    Has very reliable service...but we are thinking about a backup generator at some point. All our main heating appliances in the various buildings require electricity to operate even though they are propane-fired.

13. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Electricity, which we lose sometimes in storms.

14. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

It;s a fairly regular thing at my house that we lose power, pain in the ass, usually from a storm that we know is coming, and so we fill lots of buckets, pots and jugs beforehand, and get thru it pretty well ...... I would much rather have electricity because we already have water at the ready or can go get some. Losing all the food from the refrigerator/freezer is bummer.

15. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Meister

Yeah, if you live where hurricanes hit, you have probably experienced going days without electricity.

Can't do without water.

swervinbob likes this.
  16. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Electricity.

17. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

In my case it makes little difference. We have a cistern (42,000 gallons when full) and I can bucket water from it if necessary (9/20/17). Gas stove with 2 bottles propane, solar hot water, a pool for toilet flushing water. Two generators that will power the house. One as a backup

The line from the cistern to my pump was severed in Maria and it took 3 days to scour the parts to fixit. I’ll post a pic later.

18. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Humans survived tens of thousands of years without electricity. Humanoids even longer. They would not have without water.

Water any day. I've done time without electricity.

19. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

Electricity.

20. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

8BDA28A8-9764-4E22-BB25-530F273C2853.jpeg
    Completely sheared. I tied the broken line from the cistern up so it couldn’t accidentally siphon. Once it was repaired we were good to go
    No power from 9/20-12/7. At least there was no snow or freezing weather

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.