Would you pay to store your gear somewhere...how much?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sloppychops, Oct 17, 2021.

1. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Afflicted

I have this idea for a local business to start offering guitar storage space. I know you can rent a space at any number of storage places, but this would be an instrument only business with climate control and, of course, secure entry. It would also have a small lounge area where transactions could take place. Is this something you think anyone would go for?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Poster Extraordinaire

I’ll keep y’all’s Martin 18 and up series guitars here at the farm for free as long as I can play them.

OP. It’s an interesting concept, but I’m not convinced it’s a good idea.
    Sounds like just another climate controlled secure storage facility, of which there are many, except you are cutting down the potential number of customers.

3. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I suspect it would only be viable in a big metropolitan area. It would be TU pretty quickly around here.

4. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Guitars are like Jello, I always seem to find room for more :lol::lol::lol:

Might be more marketable if you also offered practice and/or studio space.

5. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Interesting concept. To @stormsedge's point, you need to be in a place where enough people have more guitars than space for them. So that rules out a whole lot of blocks of the suburban and rural areas.

But if you've got a lead on a good secure space and lounge area for cheap, and can rustle up the proper liability insurance, then just work the numbers to figure out how many customers you'd need at what price so that you're not down the drain in a flash.

And don't underestimate that liability coverage. If someone's precious instrument came back to them damaged, moldy, smelling of Febreze or onions etc, you'd be in small claims court (or other) more than you'd be home.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I suspect it would only work in a very limited market, or where equipment rental companies are based.
    @rstaaf may have hit on the key.....a good, secure practice space facility with extensive storage available. Much bigger investment for you, but would widen your target market considerably. ;)

stormsedge and Obsessed like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Pretty sure it would be a hit in the bigger cities. I have a friend who lost about ten guitars in a “secured” outside storage facility to theft.

I would look into insurance costs before venturing into this venture.

Make sure it is not in a flood zone. Just sayin’

8. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Not to burst your bubble but these places already exist all over. SIR, Soundcheck, et cetera

aka "Cartage."

24 track likes this.
  9. sloppychops

Ok, as several have mentioned, this is really only feasible in a metropolitan area.

10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

to take on such a venture ,your ability to accept liability for stolen items could be a real issue insurance wise even with video security it was explained to me that that would only tell you who did it but not where these items ended up .
    with valuable instruments or instruments with providence the assessed value would sky rocket according to the owner .

a fine idea but I would talk to a lawyer first to see the limits of liability to you. Do your research and investigate all negative scenarios before you move on it. after all all of my 22 guitars have been played by a famous rock star............. me , and are worth their weight in platnum , just sayin!

11. deytookerjaabs

Many of the spots in bigger metros aren't obvious from the outside:

[​IMG]

Thus, if you weren't in the know, you wouldn't realize you might be right across the corner from a cartage or rehearsal space etc, many spaces do both.

12. sloppychops

Those look to be pretty big operations, and I'm thinking something smaller. The metropolitan area I'm in doesn't have nearly the amount of musicians and events as Nashville.

I used the term "gear" in my original post, but due to the size of the facility the gear would have to be limited to guitars and amps...not lighting, mic stands, stages, and other things that take up a lot of space.

Ideally, this space would be near or even adjacent to an established music store.

13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Bonded and licensed with pickup and delivery sure! Call it "Storage Roadies"
    Otherwise... why would I drive and carry further when my storage at home is right close and easy?

14. deytookerjaabs

It's totally feasible but I'm saying if you're in a city where it's viable there's likely existing facilities for it unless it's a smaller town. Just saying that you might already have some competition because you could live next to one of these spots and not know it (I have!).

oh, and FWIW, your biggest liability is inside theft. The spots I've been at had cameras in all the hallways so all the internal traffic is monitored. All it takes is one guy to leave a room/locker unlocked and an opportunist to walk by.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    sloppychops and nojazzhere like this.
  15. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I wouldn’t buy more gear than I have room for, so no, I wouldn’t store it. You’re asking for a liability nightmare.

16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

We lost our House 6 years ago ( $$ hardship) and when we moved out, we still had a bunch of stuff ( furniture, CD's camping junk, musical gear, clothes) we just couldn't take to our apartment ( our son's). Also, I did not want folks here seeing me always coming and going with PA stuff, amps...

So we rented a Public Storage, storage unit, not knowing this would cost as much as it does!

It is very close, and I can drive right up to my own unit to load/unload stuff

But a 10'X10' was $140/mo. in 2016. Bad enough, but now $250! ( F***ing Northern Virginia! - I'm from here).

On top of this, we have pretty much learned how to live without just about everything in the storage unit, except my music gear.

Something has to change $250/mo. for this is too much!
    Common sense eludes me!

Telekarster and nojazzhere like this.
  17. OldAndNew

OldAndNew TDPRI Member

The cost seems massive! But let’s say you work it out:

I would want somewhere that’s soundproof with lots of clean, grounded power, and climate control. I want to set my gear up and leave it. Come and go as I please for personal practice or small recording.

Right now I don’t have good space for practice and I imagine many other players have the same problem. You could offer larger spaces for bands.

I imagine this would cost me hundreds of dollars per month to rent the space.

sloppychops likes this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Lol!

Someone may want to store their '59 LP there and that would be a huge insurance premium to cover.
    Complete photographs in/out.

Run a board on the wall for players looking for bands/bands looking for players. Buy/Sell/Swap among members.

You might suggest .... "you can deliver those late night guitar purchases here so you don't need to worry about the spouse asking about yet another guitar box sitting on the front porch. Or to not worry about porch pirates and needing to be home when the shipment arrives".

sloppychops likes this.
  19. sloppychops

I actually had the same idea before the gear storage idea. I just don't think there would be enough musicians interested in renting small practice spaces, or even larger ones. And it would likely require on-site staff at all hours of the night. The gear storage idea includes a vestige of this first idea -- the lounge area, where anyone renting space there could use the lounge area to show guitars to potential buyers. I like the suggestion of being able to have guitars shipped there, too, instead of having them to go to a home or business.

But just for yuks, what do you think would be an appealing rental price for, say, a 10' x 10' space with racks for storage and a power outlet so you could plug an amp in?

20. deytookerjaabs

Cost is brought down by the fact that most are in a band and split it between all the members equally, last space I had was 7 years ago (before the baby was born! lol) and IIRC it was around $200 but the place was completely worth it. Or, if you're signed obviously it's in the numbers w/management. As one person? Just a locker is one thing, a space is another, that probably would be real expensive.

With the climate control thing, reality of touring kind of sets in. Unless you bring things in person on your side at all times: your trailer, below the bus, below the plane, shipping, et cetera are all exposed to temp extremes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.