Would You Mod an AVRI?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Texicaster, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

¡Bueno!

My 2012 '58 AVRI has become #2 Telecaster. Not that it's bad in any way but #1 (Wildwood Think Skin 50's) has it all for me.

What I dig about the '58 is it's super light! Barely 6.75 lbs and I never see them that light!

It's currently for sale way cheap ($1100) and not getting any bites so I'm figuring a keeper for now. But considering some crazy ideas I won't numerate as I don't want to be taunted :D

I could sell and invest in a partscaster project BUT again this is the lightest most resonant body that I have found in my limited experience.....By far!

More thoughts but I'll wait for responses before adding more.

Thanks,

TEX

2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

Your guitar, your decision. (Even with a vintage example if you ask me.)

But because you have already listed it for sale, it seems to indicate that you have not made a real bond with it. That plus the fact that you have another tele that is your number one, my advice is:

Be patient, sell it, and buy another one you like better. The time it takes to sell it gives you the opportunity to think about what you’ll get.

Modding is especially relevant when you have a bond with a guitar but want it to do other things that it does not.

RadioFM74 and tele12 like this.
  3. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

I have a 2011 '52 AVRI Hot Rod I bought brand new...over the years I've swapped the bridge PU for a SD Little '59, reversed the control plate, put in a PIO tone cap, Joe Barden bridge plate, and a push/pull tone pot to swap the Little '59 coils in series or parallel.

No regrets, it's been my #1 for eight years. I still have all the parts to put it back to original config if I ever decide to sell it, but chances are I'll be buried with it so I'm not sweating it.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I think you could do anything you like - obviously you will take a resale hit but there's so many around anyone who wants an original unmolested can get one. Go for it.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  5. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

If it's something that can be easily reversed, then go for it. I am puzzled by why someone would purchase a vintage reissue model just to modify it. The AV's are not cheap so it like investing more money into an already expensive guitar.

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

No problems as long as its reversible - I put a Nocaster bridge pup and Callaham brass compensated saddles in my '02 52 AVRI

7. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

Well I didn't buy it with modding in mind...just happens to be leaning in that direction.... It wasn't all that expensive when you get down to it; what I paid for it.

One thing I am considering is a color change to a surf or other green and super slight relic to reveal the sunburst under finish.... That would kill it except for green Tele lovers!

After that it would be open season! :D

fenderchamp likes this.
  8. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

In my experience modding a guitar that I didn’t already love didn’t lead me to loving it more and if you do want to sell it in the future you will probably have to sell it for less, even if the mods are cool.

If you do enjoy it though and plan on keeping it there is no harm in doing what you want to it.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Do whatever you want, but keep in mind if it's not reversible, resale value will suffer... If you sell it, you will take a hit ... If not, no issue ....

Crawldaddy and Ricky D. like this.
  10. barker

barker Tele-Meister

Every single piece of gear I've owned has been modded in some way so yes, I'd mod an AVRI because.....why the ** not? :D

mkdaws32 and Texicaster like this.
  11. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

For the record:

I LOVE the feel and tone of this guitar! It's just #2. I could buy a dozen more Teles and this would probably remain #2. SO it's not like I hate it and want to trash or make quantum changes....but maybe....

Again I have not found such a light bodied Tele since I've had this one. My #1 is a full pound heavier and it feels like 5 lbs more after playing for an hour.

57fenderstrat likes this.
  12. NC E30

NC E30 TDPRI Member

I would contact MJT, they can supply a body to the spec weight you want, in the wood you want, and give you the finish you are looking for.

13. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

I've considered that but this one rings like a bell! Can't spec that!

Plus at best I'd save a couple $100 over the current asking price on the AVRI.....plus hassle...plus unknown....

14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

If you want to sell it, don't mod it. You'll end up with a guitar worth less that's still not your #1 and more money in it. Cut your price a little and get some money back in the check book.

15. bblooz

bblooz TDPRI Member

Tex:
    I vote for hanging on to it (I'm a hoarder too). Like you said, rare to find one that light weight. You'll just end up selling it, spending the money, then having sellers remorse. Then you'll spend years looking to either buy it back, or pay way more than you sold it for to replace it. KEEP IT!

Texicaster likes this.
  16. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

In a heartbeat.

Skydog1010 and Texicaster like this.
  17. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

I have a 2001 57 Strat AVRI that by chance came with Ybarra pickups in it, and I wouldn't mod that guitar for nothing! She's sweet! Having said that, IF I thought I could tweek it a bit and make it better without doing something that would be irreversable, then.... why not? If you like the guitar and had no plans to resell it when you bought it, you should be free to do as you feel with it... as long as you don't go cuckoo nutso on it and start drilling door knob holes in the body or something LOL!!! Go for it I say!

Texicaster likes this.
  18. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I already did. A '58 maybe 2016 or 17, I mounted a Glendale toploader and Don Mare Hayrides. Got it slightly used from Dave's at 6 1/2 pounds and loved it but for the threaded saddles and the neck pickup didn't have the clarity that I like.
    Also modded a '64. Threaded saddles again, but that's all. To my ears probably the sweetest sounding stock pickups on a Tele but that's just me.

Telekarster and Texicaster like this.
  19. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Try the 58 body with 52 neck and hardware. If it improves the overall package, you can try the 58 neck with the rest of the 52 body and 58 hardware. Or sell the parts.

When it comes down to it, though, you have to decide what you want the 58 to be. Perhaps sell it and buy something other than a Tele.

Texicaster likes this.
  20. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady TDPRI Member

I plan on getting an AV 52 in the near future. The only permanent mod I’d do is a very light sand on the neck to smooth it out, and then other than adding compensated saddles I wouldn’t change it.
    Can you post pics of your 58?

Texicaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.