Would you live in a place with very few other people?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rze99, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Hah, Local Hero.......I love it!

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Remote Scottish island ?

Maybe...

C3547DA0-048A-4458-A278-DA934E90B96E.jpeg

Crafty Fox likes this.
  3. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

In a New York minute.

In heartbeat.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  4. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I'm from Glasgow and came to Perth, Australia for a 2 year working holiday...........36 years ago!!! I'm still here.:cool: And haven't been back for 28 years.

Ok, Perth is a sizeable city but I don't need to go far for real solitude. I live very close to large areas of natural bushland.

Funny though, I was only talking to some friends last night about Scotland's St. Kilda. I said I wouldn't mind staying there for a while and be involved in the restoration of the old abandoned cottages etc.

5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I would say exactly the same thing.

6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Just had a similar conversation with my wife. The older I get the more it sounds good. However, the older we get the more medical care we're gonna need. So....no.

Still thinking the RV thing, though. We agreed that when the kids are out of college and (hopefully) self-sufficient, we're gonna rent an RV for a week or so to see if it will be worth the money and everything else that goes with purchasing an RV.

7. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

It's honestly my dream. I dunno how it would pan out insofar as boredom(less so) or lonesome(moreso) but man it's the subject of dreams.

8. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

Which island? I think I could have coped with Orkney or Shetland but St. Kilda might have been a stretch...

Right.... And pizza delivery... And....

^ The dream.

V The Reality

sheep-waiting-by-the-telephone-box-PGPEMK.jpg

Asmith, BigDaddyLH and Mike Eskimo like this.
  9. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Yes, I would.

10. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I already do live in a place with very few other people.

It requires some driving to get to large numbers of people from here.

We have a lot of wildlife, though. And it’s nice and quiet.

SparkleFart and Jlwctn like this.
  11. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I probably couldn't make a living but we'd go there in a heartbeat of we could. I grew up outside the city on the edge of a large wood, in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. The nearest person my age was a half-mile away. I'm used to quiet.

Bob

12. ChubbyFingers

ChubbyFingers Tele-Holic

Any excuse

johnny k likes this.
  13. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

How many pubs are there on that island ?

AkulA likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

My town has a theoretical population of maybe 900 in the fall winter spring seasons, but many of those "residents" only claim residency and move to Florida for the extended winter portion of the off season.

In summer, the town is packed with more like 10,000 people or more including day trippers going to the beach.

I like both though better still is the in between.

Old friends and perfect strangers, as it should be...

15. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

One of my favorite memories comes from a tiny farming community in the Scottish Highlands. In the early 90s I was working on a project with a team out of Glasgow. Members of that team would regularly come over to the states, I'd often travel there, and, since all-work-and-no-play is not the Scottish way, when they came here I'd find football matches for us to play and when I traveled there we'd hike and fish (and play football). We became fast friends. One trip, my counterpart, Don, and I went north to spend some time exploring Loch Affric and we stayed at his brother's cabin that stood in the hills just outside a small village.

When we arrived, late in the afternoon, the brother was absent but had left a note tacked to the unlocked door saying that he had gone into town and that we should join him at the pub there. We unloaded our kit, then walked a couple of miles down a dirt two-track between fields towards town, a grocery and a petrol station/pub. The pub was cozy but packed to the rafters as the entire town had turned out to celebrate the 70th birthday of one of the local farmers. They'd been there a while.

Don was a curiosity to the crowd, being the big-city brother of one of the locals, and I was something entirely new, a Yank, so we quickly became the center of attention. As the evening wore on and the beer flowed (Guinness, with Caffrey's for the lightweights, I seem to recall) we engaged with everyone, many of whom I almost understood despite the Highland dialect and well-lubricated nature of the conversation. But language didn't matter that night and I've never laughed so long and so hard in my life. In the wee hours Don, his brother, and I crawled back up the two-track, dreading the morning's hike and having deep philosophical discussions with curious sheep along the way. I guess they'd never seen a Yank either.

I find the Scots to be among the most gregarious and delightful people on this planet and I've cherished my time in that county. It was a night to remember, at least as much of it as I can.

Yes, I could live in such a place.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

It would be a death sentence. Heart attack? Stroke? Just close your eyes. Trauma? Maybe you can wait for the helicopter, maybe not. Suicide? A distinct possibility with the short, wet, cold, and overcast days from November thru March. It takes a sturdy young person or someone born and raised there. That move isn’t one to make your decision about in July.

17. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Them remote Scottish islands look pretty bleak the weather is atrocious practically 12 months of the year the locals are either eco lefties called Giles & Penelope or kilt wearing Scottish picts
    who will burn you like the wickerman if you mention English football ..just joking Scottish people are brilliant
    I'd rather have a big house in the suburbs with a large electric fence around it

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If I wasn't interested in having a band I would.

Dismalhead likes this.
  19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I guess British culture is so centered on pubs. I personally don't see why they wouldn't drink at someone's house, or even outside at the rare times the weather permits. I wouldn't imagine either would be a problem in a place with 200 inhabitants.

20. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Because you don't have to do wash the glasses and get rid of the empty bottles when you are in a pub ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.