Would you forget and affair from your wife?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jerry_Mountains, Sep 20, 2019.

1. cottonmike

cottonmike Tele-Meister

Your only option is to forgive. It ain't easy. Still working on it, 20 years removed.

El Tele Lobo and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  2. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

If it was a good marriage that had lasted and it seemed like some kind of midlife menopause crisis where some women go off the rails and act irrationally. I might give staying together some thought.

Newish relationship without much history of getting through a bunch of hard times and compromises then forget it.

howardlo, bloomz, Fiesta Red and 2 others like this.
  3. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Yeah, cheating in a new marriage is just setting you up for an entire lifetime of questions and jealousy. It should be over and out for that guy. If they were many years into a relationship, it gets a lot harder to break things off. My own rational, progressive mind tells me that we'd have to do a lot of work and then forgive. But there's a part of me that would never forget, and I don't think I could live that way. You need to be free to love your life partner, and if there are any reservations about trust, you can't.

bloomz and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  4. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire

The fact that she cheated on him and they are newlyweds does not bode well. It is ultimately his call, but I lean towards ending it.

howardlo and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

At least one of us would be getting some...

Otis Fine and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  6. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I can take the "hypothetical" out of it -- nuclear option is the only solution after the trust is broken

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  7. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

There are obviously a million different factors at play with this question.

That said, cheating early in the marriage is a particularly bad sign, if she can't resist the urge to cheat now, it's not going to get any easier 5 years down the road. Personally, I'd be looking to move on while it's early and before kids enter the picture. I suppose if your friend is inclined to stay, he's got a heckuva get-out-of-jail-free card in his pocket if he's so inclined.

howardlo and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

If he doesn’t leave he is setting himself up for a lifetime of heartache.
    Every time she acts the least bit secretive he will be questioning and reliving all the pain. No woman is worth that.
    She has shown him who she really is, believe her, and go find someone who will give him a lifetime of love and trust.
    A newlywed who cheats isn’t worth a minutes grief, keep her and it’s forever grief.

9. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Holic

Here’s the thing about this. The get out of jail free card just means he is set up to manipulate her anyway he wants based on guilt for the transgression. That is not a recipe for a successful relationship either. Eventually the manipulation on top of the original reason(s) for infidelity will be “justification” for more problems and possibly more infidelity. Its the whole “two wrongs don’t make a right”.

Best scenario for all parties involved is to end things asap so the grieving and recovery can begin and hopefully they can move on with their lives sooner. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule but with the emotional investment that goes into a marriage, those instances are so rare, odds are even the most desperate riverboat gambler wouldn’t take that bet.

10. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Tele-Holic

Nope.
    Kicked her to the curb years ago, haven't regretted it yet.

bloomz and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  11. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yep ... lose the trust and there's not much left, just a superficial shell of a relationship.

12. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

You just answered your question.

13. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Can he trust her still, or will he suspect something the first time she is late coming home because she was stuck in traffic? I left my wife after she did that, I just couldn’t trust her anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  14. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Just hit 27 years yesterday. I think cheating would leave a serious trust wound.

Since they are newly married, end it now, end it fast. Hard to see it improving into decades of love, trust and selflessness.

Bummer for him.

howardlo likes this.
  15. Guitarteach

Some marriages have weathered worse and been stronger for it and some have floundered for far less.

Only they can understand the circumstances and make their decision. If bad things had been said, if she was feeling rejected and was vulnerable and was taken advantage of, that is different from her setting out to be a regular cheat. Did she admit it when she could have just kept it secret?

The details will decide their fate but I’d agree it’s possibly the worst thing to happen in a marriage other than violence and mental abuse. Very hard early in a relationship.

I’ve never doubted my relationship so I don’t have the experience to comment more but I think many women put up with far far worse from their men.

P Thought and Harry Styron like this.
  16. Guitarteach

She was late home with traffic? Harsh. :)

jimilee likes this.
  17. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Trust is the vein of love.

Walk away.

jimilee likes this.
  18. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

19. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Didn't know her well enough before they married. She's a finished product, she is what she is. No integrity. Husband can draw the line anywhere he chooses. The worst behavior he demonstrates he will tolerate, he should expect to get more of the same.

He'll get more of the same if he stays with her. The first time is a big deal, then she learns that nothing very bad happens. Next time she's tempted, it's easier.

20. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Edited

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Marquee Moon likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.