Would you ever buy a guitar with a repaired broken headstock?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by dstuart, May 22, 2013.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Like a lot of things this will come down to personal taste in the end. I wouldn't buy one. Not because there was a playability issue, but because there would be a mojo issue. It would bug me.

2. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

one old gibson of mine was bought with an expertly repaired broken headstock and its a fabulous guitar, everyone I know says its my best one.

Another Gibson I had, same old headstock break, the veritable "gibson smile"... seemed like the repair was good, but the guitar would never stay in tune again.

3. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Ok, I misinterpreted the question in my previous response. If it was already adequately repaired (and the price was right) then I probably would once I physically examined it and found it to be OK.

If it was currently in pieces and I could not physically examine it (like all the cracked neck wonders on Ebay), then not at all.

4. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

Troot.

5. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

If it was in pieces, I'd do the repair myself--then I'd know it was good.

You won't see me buying ANY gibsons, though.

6. songofthewind

songofthewind Tele-Meister

I accidentally snapped the headstock off of my thirty five year old Ovation Balladeer. I repaired it myself, with carbon fibre splints and epoxy glue. I could have made a slightly better job with a bit of previous experience, but I am reasonably handy.
    The repair significantly improved the guitar: the extra stiffness at the nut area tightens up the feel and sound, and tuning stability is better than it ever was. Hardly needs tuning now!
    I would NOT part with this guitar and the repair has added mojo, not taken it away. Go figure.

7. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I'm actually looking for the right '64 with a good headstock repair. I was born in '64 and had my neck broken and repaired a couple of years ago. Besides the nerve damage and constant headaches I guess I'm doing alright. I've seen and passed on a couple, but the time will come. It's just a sick joke at my expense. Misery loves company and all that

8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

I got my '77 LP Deluxe for $750 in a pawnshop about 2 months ago and it had a broken headstock. My local guitar repair guy had it for 2 months, and I just got it back last Friday. Here are some pics.

Before repair.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Tele-Afflicted

A friend of mine has a 70's gold top Les Paul Deluxe he bought in the early 80's. Before he learnt to invest in straplocks, it fell off his strap at a gig in the late 80s. The singer backed up and trod on the neck, snapping the head clean off. A cabinet-maker friend of his glued the headstock back up a few days later, but my mate wanted to maybe have it refinished a few years ago. He took it to a luthier who suggested sanding the break area flat and just smoothing things up, but would rather not "hide" the repair as a potential buyer at a later date might well be suspicious of a "hidden" repair - particularly on quite a heavily aged instrument, where a freshly glossy neck could look particularly obvious. The repair itself was deemed to be a particularly good effort.

Since the break and repair, the guitar has given my friend no issues - plays the same, sounds the same and holds tune just fine. I would buy a repaired Gibson in a heartbeat, as long as I could inspect and play it first.

10. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

That looks awesome. Looks like he did a great job.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got an Epi ES-275 with a headstock repair. It's awesome and I would not have bought one if not for the super cheap price I was able to get it for, due to the repair.

12. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Sure would, for all the reasons above. If the repairs are done well you should have no issue.
    Probably why a lot of manufacturers use a glued on head stock so you don't the inherent weakness of the wood.

13. backsideslappy

backsideslappy Tele-Afflicted

That's a sterling repair job. Looks as good as I've ever seen.

14. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Thanks BSS. I'm VERY happy with how it turned out. It was a cleaner repair than I thought it would be. I'll never pass up another guitar that has a cracked neck.

15. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

I bought a Les Paul Classic with a neck repair, off of Ebay no less, but the repair job was excellent and you would never know it was there unless you looked closely. Luckily the seller was honest about it and offered it at a good discount. It ended up being one of my favorite guitars until I stupidly sold it.

16. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Yes. My '66 ES-335 came from a NYC shop 20 years ago. It had arrived there via UPS with a broken headstock. The owner fixed it - very well too - sold it to me for less than half what vintage ES-335s were going for at that time. I could not have otherwise afforded a vintage one. It's one of the best guitars I've ever come across, a lucky find in many ways. Of course resale is affected. Doesn't bother me, cause it won't be resold by me.
    MD

17. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Yes. There is an excellent article from a luthier about how 18% of his business is Gibson guitars. Of the 18% something like 85% of those are headstock repairs. He says Gibson should break then repair all their necks prior to finishing and it wouldn't be a problem anymore if they are done correctly.

Incidentally, a friend Texted me earlier this month that his guitarists Les Paul fell over on stage and broke at the headstock during a gig.

18. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Why not. If the repair was done properly it should be good as new if not better. How would Dan Erlwine stay in business if people didn't repair broken guitars. Some of them have to be sold sooner or later.

19. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Probably not.

If I knew 100% that the repair had been done properly...and it was a guitar I really wanted and was unlikely to ever sell on...then perhaps.

But as it's difficult out here to guarantee that it really had been done properly I probably wouldn't.
    Resale would be a problem since it would then just be 'my word'.

Truth is...I don't give a toss about owning an actual 'vintage' guitar simply because it's 'vintage. Doesn't guarantee it superior in any way, and I couldn't care less about the 'mojo'. Not enough to spend much money, anyway.
    The new guitars you can get now do the job just as well, so I'll just buy one of them.

Without a repaired neck break.

20. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't hesitate buying repaired headstock guitar but there's care need to be address , never leave it in extreme temperatures like a car , I found out the hard way

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.