Would you do this amp deal- mid 2000 Fender DRRI w/ Celestion Gold?

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
I found a Fender black face DRRI, mid-2000s I think (rubber switch covers) with a Celestion Gold speaker installed - the ask, mid $600s. Everything seems to check out fine, reverb works great (excessive really) tremolo works (from footswitch only - probably normal.) It currently has Groove Tubes in it, which is the only down side I see - the 6v6s are graded at "2" which I think is pretty cold - the amp has a lot of clean room - 6 is barely cracking the dirt if at all. You have to get on it. ( I feel like I have heard DRRI's that gallop a lot sooner on the volume dial.)

Tolex is in great shape, almost looks new but age is clear from oxidation on power tube cage - some light rust. I am guessing the amp was gigged in a flight case and saw some outside work or a few beers - but it does not look at all like a "gigged" amp.

the amp sounds good, but not magical or 3D'ish, as I have heard from some - it feels a bit reserved. I think this is the power tubes doing that. I have no respect for GT tubes but maybe its inherent bias on my part messing with my ears.

This seems like a really good deal, and I even have time to check it out and return (or have fixed) if there is an issue.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
You mean you didn't buy it??? ;) The speaker alone is worth at least 200 right? IMO any quality tube amp for 600 or less in playing condition is worth throwing down on, if it's something one wants. They ain't gonna get any cheaper, especially these days. I say go for it! With a return policy, from a place you trust, you have nothing to lose right? FWIW :cool:

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I'd say yes, especially with the Gold. The Gold can be a bit of a sweet speaker, but not 'lively and out front' IIRC. The amp is either biased for "2" tubes or not, regardless of their rating. That rating system is jut to allow a non techy to swap tubes without rebias... right?

68goldtop

TDPRI Member
Hi!

Buy it!
Nothing to loose - you make $200 the minute you take it out the door 👍

Regarding tubes (GT or other) - they're just TUBES. You can change them whenever you want to!
It never crossed my mind that a tube/or type of tube could make or break a deal 🤔
I had a couple (like, a dozen or so) of nice-sounding (vintage) amps. I usually take them in to my amp-tech to have them checked/maintained, but I never even bother to LOOK at the tubes ;)

cheers - 68.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
I wouldn't put too much stock in the Groove Tubes proprietary rating or write them off just because they have "Groove Tubes" branding. Especially in this market, unless they're acting up, rattling, red plating, etc, I'd be more inclined to take it to a tech and see if the bias needs to be adjusted.

$650's a good price, and if you decide you don't like the Celestion speaker and want something that sounds more stock, you may be able to recoup some of that by selling it.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Especially in this market, unless they're acting up, rattling, red plating, etc, I'd be more inclined to take it to a tech and see if the bias needs to be adjusted.

Appreciate the input. I did get the amp, NAD forth coming, once my internet is restored and pictures upload. I put a Eurotubes BiasOne probe on it and the two 6v6's are JJs, branded as GTs, so I am fine with that - I like JJs in general. They are currently biased at 19ma with 409V on the plates (7 watts roughly.) I think these JJs need some more juice to shine, so I am going to bias them to about 25ma (eurotubes general recommendation) and see how that sounds - should giddy-up a little sooner I think.

Turns out the amp is a 2014, based on sticker inside cabinet. 8 years old, tolex and grill cloth looks practically new. It even has the two kick stands on either side - I've only seen these on Twin Reverbs, so a bit surprised to see them, but maybe they were standard back in 2014 on a DRRI.

Joe M

Super Moderator
Staff member
Appreciate the input. I did get. It even has the two kick stands on either side - I've only seen these on Twin Reverbs, so a bit surprised to see them, but maybe they were standard back in 2014 on a DRRI.
Nope, never standard on a DRRI. Add-on that was done. FWIW, I think you got a great deal, as others have said.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I got here late, that speaker makes the deal, but finding tubes to replace those groove tubes might become very costly hurting the value in the immediate time frame....probably why it was being sold in the first place.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
I think the Gold is a great speaker but not in that amp.

Unless you use overdrive constantly (in which case it's probably the wrong amp) something like the Emi SC64 or Legend or similar US voiced speaker would be better. IMO.

kuch

Tele-Meister
Appreciate the input. I did get the amp, NAD forth coming, once my internet is restored and pictures upload. I put a Eurotubes BiasOne probe on it and the two 6v6's are JJs, branded as GTs, so I am fine with that - I like JJs in general. They are currently biased at 19ma with 409V on the plates (7 watts roughly.) I think these JJs need some more juice to shine, so I am going to bias them to about 25ma (eurotubes general recommendation) and see how that sounds - should giddy-up a little sooner I think.

Turns out the amp is a 2014, based on sticker inside cabinet. 8 years old, tolex and grill cloth looks practically new. It even has the two kick stands on either side - I've only seen these on Twin Reverbs, so a bit surprised to see them, but maybe they were standard back in 2014 on a DRRI.
I think you made a good decision. That's quite a good price considering what they're going for nowadays.

If you can live with the tubes for a while. They're getting scarce in our area and the prices are going up. Hopefully the price will come down back to "normal" in the future

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Great deal with that speaker. If you don't like it, just sell it off. It will more than pay for almost anything else you want to try.

DRRI's seem to be all over the place when it comes to clean headroom i.e. how far you have to go up the dial before it starts getting dirty.Maybe it's tubes or maybe it's luck of the draw. I dunno.

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
Unless you use overdrive constantly (in which case it's probably the wrong amp) something like the Emi SC64 or Legend or similar US voiced speaker would be better. IMO.

Great point here. My current setup is a PRRI with the ga10-SC64 - love that speaker in there (over the jensen). The second amp, which I run off the 2nd input of the PRRI is a Bass Breaker 15 with a Celestion G12M. I keep the BB dialed in just before breakup and this pair a a huge sound - not necessarily loud, but just big. PRRI has a touch of reverb dialed in and the BB has a Flight Time delay in the loop.

So trying to figure out what I want to do in that regard. I may not be able to keep all 3 as I have to recoup some of the money I spent, but really couldn't pass the amp up.

I have considered leaving the gold in, which would do nicely with overdrives, but also thought about putting in an SC64 to make it more of that deluxe sound. I have an attenuator I can put on it (two notes torpedo) and see how it does opened up at quieter levels.

I am looking at my options in case the CFO requires some funds to be put back.

JDRNoPro

Friend of Leo's
Very good deal IMO. I wouldn't fret over the tubes.......or the speaker for now. Get that thing biased hotter. 25ma seems about right for JJs. I run a couple points less in my SFDR (and former DRRI) with NOS tubes. Other than that, I recommend really getting to know that amp as the seemingly simple controls are wonderfully interactive on a DR. Also, not running bass and treble too high and adding to volume is a way to effectively fatten mids. IMO, many folks just start changing things before really getting familiar with an amp and setting it up right.

Enjoy!