Would you change anything on a classical Tele design?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Tele-friend, Feb 17, 2021.

Would you change anything on a classical Tele design?

1. No. Leo did it right the first time!

56 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Maybe something... just a minor thing

60 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Couple of things

101 vote(s)
    44.3%
  4. Definitely yeah, lots of things

11 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

I don't like the neck pickup, I'd change it with a Strat neck pickup, but you can't because of the way the Tele is designed you'd have to rerout the neck pocket. I also don't like the bridge design with the 3 saddles, I want separate saddles for each string and a bridge design where I can exchange the bridge or the bridge pickup without having to take apart half of the guitar. And the standard 21 fret neck on most Tele's sucks ass too. But at least 22 frets seems to become more normal. Those are the things I would change. Make the guitar easier to mod basically. Which I think is why the Strat has been so popular for modding. Body contouring, meh, as long as there's no sharp edge like with the Les Paul I'm fine with the Tele body as it is.

2. ponycar

ponycar TDPRI Member

I "correct" all of the things that are not aligned to my preferences. The original design facilitates changes quite nicely. 20210219_100639.jpg

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  3. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Meister

The Tele is more a triumph of industrial design than of the luthier's art, but triumph it is. A lot of things, such as the headstock being parallel to the fretboard, are not ideal either functionally or aesthetically, but they work and require very little by way of materials or labor. It's worked surprisingly well musically, though a lot of it is perhaps tastes adapting to the instrument rather than the opposite.

4. greasamizer

greasamizer TDPRI Member

having bought only one Telecaster in my short(?) life, I have built about twenty. Now, before you think I am just here beating my chest, let me tell you that there have (are) been(?) mucho misteaks that I have had to addressed. The tailstock: BUTT UGLEEEEEEEEEE!!! Strat headstock? AHH, MUCHO BONITO!! Ipso fatso, I use Strat/Jazzmaster headstocks. Electricals? Well, Leo did good things, but you can pick up one old stock Tele and ten others, and they will be TWINS! ( =-l !) OK-I lied... Having tried a variety of electricals in them, I have settled on Jerry Donahue's 'Omniac' with five selections. I usually rout out that control area to accommodate this rig; also so that I can have room for a 9-VDC supply (external to internal) circuit for any active controls I might dream up. In the words of the late Les Paul; 'some of the things I created turned out to be stupid; but they weren't so stupid that I wouldn't try them). Some of you might prefer batteries, and that is OK; but one night, I was right in the middle of a song, and the battery died. I took the axe off, and reached for another, and when i did, my wedding band (long gone...) caught on the first string and broke it; I believe the term is 'majorly S.O.L'?

5. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

The basics are fine, but there’s always room for improvement. Even Leo saw that just going from the Broadcaster to the Telecaster.

Even with vintage style Teles, an Electrosocket and compensated brass saddles are simple improvements. 4-way switching or going with a dramatically different capacitor for blend wiring are also improvements.

Loaded Goat likes this.
  6. greasamizer

greasamizer TDPRI Member

What are you using for values and connections on your treble bleeds? I set up a strat type with essentially the same lo/high-pass controls they put on a Jazzmaster, but can't seem to find a bleed combo I like. I have been using a 120Kohm/.02 capacitor in parallel on the two volume lugs, one to tone, the other to switch. What's your take?

7. rogermaltby

rogermaltby TDPRI Member

Contours. I have an early Bill Nash version of the Jeff Beck Esquire and it's SO comfortable with the body contouring (and that's just the start of its goodness!)

8. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I"fix" that in all my teles... and not only teles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Flutterecho

Flutterecho TDPRI Member

On a Tele I like having the option of—
    1. A direct out, bypassing the tone knob.
    2. A phase reverse
    —either on switches or push-pull pots.

10. Captdan61

Captdan61 Tele-Meister

He plays les pauls a lot. I'm 59 I've been playing Les Paul since I was 14 I really like telecasters the only change I would make on any Telecaster it to put a humbucker in the neck and if I was making a non-traditional one I might put rib relief in it you know the time he cut and I might make the top Contour like to do on a stratocaster for your elbow. But I have never been comfortable with a Stratocaster they make me crazy I love the way your Stratocaster sounds in the neck position I had a strap from the 70s that I absolutely loved it was the only strap I have ever liked the 3-Way or 5-way switch where they put it on a Stratocaster as a Les Paul player that's not used to having something right in my away makes me nuts how to currently at play telecasters in love Paul PA Stratocaster sits on my wall

11. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

Low profile bridge plate
    6 string saddles
    Reverse controls: V, T then switch

and a BIG Honker Bigsby (just kidding!)

12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

I would only change 1 thing . Every left handed Telecaster would have left handed pots OEM .

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Very little:

Separate tone knobs for bridge and neck pickups.

Angled switch slot.

Four-way switch with the following options:

1. bridge pickup, no tone
    2. bridge pickup, tone pot
    3. neck pickup, tone pot
    4. neck pickup, no tone pot

Two set screws on the top hat, with corresponding holes on the switch shaft.

Top-loaded jack.

Fluted saddles.

14. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

No. I tremble at the prospect of eternal hell fire and brimstone.

15. brashboy

brashboy Tele-Meister

Love the neck pickup. Have you ever seen what Bill frisell does with it?

Love the headstock, maybe the coolest ever.

Hate the control layout, hate hate. In the wrong place, the switch is too close to the volume knob Etc.

Hate the three-barrel Bridge. Impossible to intonate properly. Only for cork sniffers.

But I really love the guitar despite its flaws. I have a thin line that's under 6 pounds and it is magical.

Loaded Goat likes this.
  16. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    The Ultra pretty much fixed most of my issues.
    Moving forward with an ultra donor it would be all about pickup changes, leaving the bridge nocaster alone as it is. IMO if you remove the nocaster bridge pup, and change the bridge to a TOM, just buy a bolt on neck LP variation.

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I agree, except...it couldn't have been a '51 Precision switch plate that Leo used on the Telecaster prototype since the P-bass hadn't been invented yet...

5haun likes this.
  18. phaedrus

phaedrus Tele-Meister

Contours are really the only thing I would like to see offered more often.

I feel like all the other things (bridge, saddles, pickups, etc.) are easy enough to change on your own.

19. Ydwen Jones

Ydwen Jones Tele-Meister

No, I wouldn’t change a thing. I can do what I want to do with a my stock Tele. I love the way it looks, plays and sounds and I love the simple functionality. So, for me it’s perfect. Well o.k., there is one thing I can think of. I hardly ever use the neck pickup of my Tele. So, as far as I’m concerned an Esquire configuration will do.

20. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I'd give it a flatter radius, the comfort contours off the Strat, and get rid go the pick guard. that's about it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.