1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Would You Buy This Twin?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Telecastoff1, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Yes, its quite a chunk but, man what a sound.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  2. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

I would take the OPs over that one in a second. 600 is not bad for a great pedal platform with good speakers if its in good working order. "1966+" on the Memphis one LOLOL!!!

3. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

The CL seller still has it listed. The asking price has dropped considerably since it was first posted. Right now, it's almost half what others are posting their Twins in this locale.

4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yup - very reasonable price now I'd think :D

5. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

This forum is no place for the word "need" :D

kookaburra, Durtdog, BobbyZ and 3 others like this.
  7. Torren61

Oh yeah, on the original question... "no".

8. Torren61

lol! True, so true... *crying*

kookaburra and corliss1 like this.
  9. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

And yet...quite a few people around here have no trouble dropping 1250 on a 'tweed' DRRI built like a cheap VCR. LOL. This is a tagboard amp (they don't do that anymore for cheap, remember?) for $575 with good components and is eminently suitable for big cleans as stock or modded for a few bucks and some elbow grease into a BF/SF type.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  10. Torren61

True, so true! *crying* (I never bought THAT amp but I've bought many cheap ass amps.) LISTEN UP!!! "You buy cheaply, you buy weekly." Save your money and buy QUALITY. You are NOT going to get the angelic sound of a quality amp when you buy a cheap ass amp. You can deceive yourself but it doesn't make it true. SAVE UP for the amp you truly want. There IS no substitute. (pretty much) Also, do your research.

11. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I’d definitely buy it for the current 575 price if I needed another Twin. This one would make a great bass amp if you chopped it into a head.

12. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I would still hold the line at $475 because you will no doubt be putting another $250 into it for servicing and a little clean up. A really clean version should hover around $750 so give yourself some room.

13. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Twins for 5 or 600 bux are the deal/steal of the day. Even at low volume it fills the room with thick beautiful tone, a small amp just can't do it, there's no substitution for horsepower.

middy likes this.
  14. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Apparently that ad is still current, don't see myself driving 4 hours south to pick it up. But if it was local I might entertain the idea. I've got TRs in 85 and 100 watts, probably need a135. :)

corliss1 likes this.
  15. 100LL

100LL Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a twin reverb and I agree, it's such a great amp (mine is 85). Lots of power to be sure (way more than I currently need) but I put a Weber attenuator on it to keep the volumes manageable and it's just awesome. I paid less for the twin than I did my princeton, which is nuts, but it's how the market works now.

Get that twin, get a new grill cloth (I think you can find them at mojotone?), recap and service and ENJOY! Oh and a 200W Weber (or your favorite) attenuator. :)

BobbyZ likes this.
  16. Telecastoff1

I bought the amp earlier this evening. The seller and I negotiated a fair price and now I have another "toy" to tinker with over the coming winter months!

17. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

I haven't even cracked mine open, it works killer with no noises or other weirdness. I don't wanna poke the bear.

Telecastoff1 and Milspec like this.
  18. Telecastoff1

The seller had been playing it to demo it. So, i fired it up when I got it home. Actually, it sounds really nice, no noises or scratchy pots. Everything seems to work. But regardless, I'm going to go thru it and see what it needs for maintenance and/or repair. I got it much cheaper than he had advertised and he no longer has a heavy amp to move around. We're both happy. Really nice seller.

BobbyZ likes this.
  19. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

If nothing else, replace the rectifier diodes....they seem to be a weak link in SF Twins

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  20. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

Nothing wrong with Silverface Twin Reverbs, I remember blasting my old Non MV tail logo 70-71 back at club gigs in the day. :cool:

I would hope to find some light weight / low sensitivity speakers if I was going to gig with it though! Maybe consider those Neo type speakers?

As for the weight, most of it is the speakers, a TR PT & OT is only 4lbs more weight than the Super Reverb set.

It's those thick heavy MDF / particle board speaker baffles that add a lot of weight on the later Silverface cabs.
    You can refit a Blackface style Baltic Birch / Marine plywood floating speaker baffle, fit pine battons using the dados to mount the baffle after you've cleared out the old wood. It will be lighter & sound better IMO.

Congratulations on your new amp.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.