Would you buy the same exact Tele in a different color?

zeke54

Tele-Afflicted
No but I have at least four Esquires, which are kind of same model from the era when a Tele was a single model and the Esquire was the OTHER model.
Exactly ! Back in the day if you bought a new Tele , the only choice you had was color , and sometimes stores didn't even have that option . Rarely you might find one with a Bigsby . Or , an Esquire like telemnemonics said . I have 6 Esquires myself , not bragging , I just love them and no , they do not all sound or play the same . Got my first one in 1969 , still playing it .

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
Something about intonation differences in these two identical guitars is interesting. Look at the slug positions (I am assuming the red/rosewood is intonated)
Naah, not silly. If you really like and bond with a certain guitar model, it's a good chance that you'll really like another of the same model but different color. And chances are the two will sound a little different so both will be usable. I did the same thing with a couple of 2020 Fender Professional Teles (first edition not II). One was an alder body maple neck and the other a swamp ash body with rosewood fretboard. Both feel and play very similar. They sound a little different from each other but still good.

View attachment 981194
View attachment 981195 View attachment 981196

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
Something about intonation differences in these two identical guitars is interesting. Look at the slug positions (I am assuming the red/rosewood is intonated)
Don't know about that. Just play 'em, don't work on 'em. Sounds good to me.

warchol

Tele-Meister
I have a Player Plus Nashville Tele in 3 color sunburst. I’m thinking of buying another in BSB. Does this sound silly to you to buy the same exact guitar in just a different color? I really love my Nashville but really want a BSB Tele. The only other Tele I want thats offered in BSB is the Squier CV 50s Tele But I want that in white blonde. I guess I could get the regular Player Tele but then I couldn’t get the Strat sounds like the Nashville.
Doesn't sound silly to me. I once bought an ASAT Classic in Yellow and a month later bought another in red. At the time I had around 20 guitars and only played in the bedroom ;)
Life's short, enjoy yourself while you can.

Matt G

Tele-Afflicted
Would you buy the exact tele in a different color?
Duplicate my American Standard Nashville B-Bender? Absolutely. And I nearly did, except I'd just dropped three grand on another used guitar and my missus was very sore about the thought of that happening two weeks in a row. Could've got a new condition version B-Bender in a nice sunburst. After a while I'd simply have made some non-permanent but high-impact changes, eg drop the middle pickup, sub in a pair of hot '50s style pickups, reverse the volume / tone plate, and bung on some different strings. But the essence (body / neck / bender / handling) would remain the same.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a Player Plus Nashville Tele in 3 color sunburst. I’m thinking of buying another in BSB. Does this sound silly to you to buy the same exact guitar in just a different color? I really love my Nashville but really want a BSB Tele. The only other Tele I want thats offered in BSB is the Squier CV 50s Tele But I want that in white blonde. I guess I could get the regular Player Tele but then I couldn’t get the Strat sounds like the Nashville.
If I had the Coin, Yes, I would buy the exact same Tele in a different Color!

Cheers!

Steven Kaplan

TDPRI Member
Perhaps, in fact if I bought an additional tele (as example) it would have to be another color, and I'd only buy a dup if it sounded different. Why would I want an exact duplicate of a tele I already have color-wise that sounded identicle ? What would be the logic behind buying the EXACT same guitar if the one I own works perfectly. As an example I have a US standard telecaster, assuming I were to buy a second it would have to have at least one humbucker. There are so many great brands and guitar models to be had that sound fabulous. I need some variety.

Last edited:

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
I have a 2014 Honey Blonde Nashville. I like the color better than the BSB, which is darker

Tele.jpg

Jazzerstang

Tele-Afflicted
If I could somehow perfectly duplicate this, then yes. Perhaps a 2 tone brown sunburst with a white guard.

Attachments

• 479F1299-FB00-4AC4-8700-78765013E4D7.jpeg
    479F1299-FB00-4AC4-8700-78765013E4D7.jpeg
    315.9 KB · Views: 3

Fendereedo

Poster Extraordinaire
I have done at different times. 3 classic series 60s from a few years back. I've had red, black and the white. Nice guitars apart from the black that had a twisted neck.

JBurton

Tele-Meister
Well excuse my ignorance but what the hell is “BSB”?!?
However, assuming it stands for butterscotch blonde, my advice is ‘don’t do it’! For sure get the gorgeous butterscotch, but have the instrument configured in one of the old traditional setups so it serves as a baseline of what Tele’s once were.
I love the BS finish.

Linkslover

Tele-Meister
Sounds silly. Better to buy something completely different to have variety for different moods.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Silly is, as silly does .... FG
I'll tell you what (in my opinion of course) is silly:

A late friend of mine, had money and had all the accoutrements of life, and he had always wanted to buy a guitar and amp, cables and maybe a pedal or two, but he felt like he wasn't talented enough and so he passed up on a wish he'd expressed to me many times. Kept postponing it. I'd offer him one of mine (on loan) and he'd say, I'm going next week and buy something. But he never did, and now he's gone.

Having more guitars than you can play, maybe isn't exemplary in terms of choices made. But those who never got to play, never got to fulfill a lifelong wish, with plenty of money in the bank, that's a whole other level of poor decision making.

I say, get the big things right and the little things look after themselves.