1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Would you buy new Tele w/ fret sprout? (Am Pro Deluxe Shawbucker)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jc77, Nov 26, 2020.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is November. Heating season has just begun. If this guitar has fret sprout, it is almost certainly because of last heating season. Therefore I would respectfully suggest this is not a brand new guitar. It has been in stock, a while. Mostly probably a lot of other would be buyers have checked it out, and passed it over for whatever reason..

Meanwhile, and for reasons we can't discuss in detail, there's a shortage of never sold guitars in stores.

I just get the feeling this is a cast off guitar. I don't quite understand why anyone would be clamoring to grab it. But, that's just me.

+

One more thing: As a former Buffalonian, I am confused as to why folks up North still think it is inevitable that there be fret sprout all over the place. We don't see hardly any down this way. I am trying to be polite, but if your homes and businesses can't manage heat and humidity levels better than this, this means you are dumping $$$$ in energy, just throwing it away. Now would be a good time to get after it, and make your buildings tighter.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I purchased a new "return" MIM FSR tele that had the neck bolted crooked and substantial fret sprout. It took me awhile to figure out that I just had to re-adjust the neck plate screws, but only 30 minutes to file down the fret ends. But they reduced the price $100. No brainer and 8 years later, I still love it and play it every day. There is still just a hint of fret sprout mid winter, but I have just been too lazy to file them down again for that one month out of the year.:oops:

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

If your buying a new guitar, you shouldn't have to pay extra to fix problems that shouldn't exist.

teleplayr likes this.
  4. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I used a fairly coarse grit fret eraser to cure the fret sprout om my Vintera Modified 50s Strat. Took all of 10 minutes. I also bought a fret-end file for trickier jobs.
    I was speaking yesterday to my local guitar store (Mansons), and was told that the recent MIM Fenders are the worst culprits. I'm sure they didn't used to be.

5. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Unfortunately wood expands and contracts with exposure to humidity-or lack of it. There's not much you can do about it and it gets worse if you live in an area which experiences extremes of humidity.

swervinbob likes this.
  6. Geo

Geo Poster Extraordinaire

Get the store to correct it. Spout most often being due to climatic changes should be the store's
    responsibility. They can take it up with Fender if need be.
    If they won't do it then best to find another one.

Gaz_ likes this.
  7. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

On a used guitar I might but only if it was really something I was after and it wasn't an indicator of there being other issues with the guitar. On a new guitar, I might ask them to bring another one out of the box.

An additional thought I wanted to share: Fret sprout is just the kind of thing that could turn a new player off the guitar. I've seen a number of parents and kids come back to a guitar store frustrated and confused. Granted, a store can choose to handle that situation in different ways. I also remember getting my first guitar that came with 8s on it and immediately breaking the high e string which was such a bummer. I knew I could go get new strings but I don't know if I would have known how easy of a fix fret sprout would be or even where to take the guitar to get it taken care of.

8. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

it’s a model you really like that’s no longer available. You love the way it plays and sounds. It seems like you can’t just grab another one like it right off he wall. A little fret sprout is such a small obstacle to the purchase.

So did you buy it? I would.

DHart and Mad Kiwi like this.
  9. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

At least you didn't tell him to move down here, we have enough of those people:eek: And I say that as one of "those people";)

10. Sea tea

Sea tea TDPRI Member

I bought a used deluxe with a Rosewood neck and it had a bit of fret sprout. I played it for a while then finally decided to have it remedied. It was worthwhile having the guitar setup anyway.
    After changing the tuners, the bridge and the switch tip I’m very happy with the guitar. Plays and sounds terrific. I love the Shawbuckers.
    23F6FCAA-CB5D-4BCC-861E-F3DC9851A61E.jpeg

DHart and LPTyler like this.
  11. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

If they come down on the price I would buy it. You can also keep a humidifier in the case and in a few weeks the feet sprout goes away. It’s always dry here, so I always keep a soap dish with a damp sponge in the case.

12. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have a few Fender American Special rosewood necks that have some sprout going on. Probably due to my dry climate. I don't see it as a big deal.

I do enjoy handling necks without sprout a bit more, but a bit of sprout doesn't really have an influence on my playing, so I don't bother having fretwork done. I don't really like handing any of my guitars over to a technician anyway.

I've done enough precise gun smithing on 1911 pistols and revolvers, so I'm sure with a lil bit of "schooling up" I could carefully file down those edges on my own... if I really got motivated to do so. o_O

You love it. You want it. Buy the guitar. The sprout can be made to go away pretty easily.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

A bit outside the OP’s question I know, but I’ve always wondered if someone has already seen a case of binding issue caused by fret sprout underneath. For instance feeling bumps on the binding, or the latter getting separated from the fingerboard?

14. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

Totally opposite experience here. I've never taken a new guitar off the rack in any store ever in my life that didn't need work. Granted, I don't grab the $3000 dollar guitars, maybe the higher end stuff is different, I don't know. But I've played a lot of new guitars from $300 dollar guitars to $2000 dollar guitars and every one of them needed something done if it was going to suit me.

I always tell prospective buyers to leave a little $$ off to the side to get it worked over by a good luthier as soon as you buy it. Maybe the hand made custom builds are better, but every mass assembly line guitar I've ever picked up needed work, frets, neck adjustment, intonation, action, something, right off the shelf, every time.

I've only bought two guitars not from a store I walked in to, that were usable (for me and my hands) right out of the box, and needed no work, as advertised. Reverend. The first one was a test, and sure enough it was just right, right out of the box. So I bought another and it was the same way. I still have them.

Mleffler1 likes this.
  15. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

I worked in retail for some time. If a store is selling a higher end item they really need to make sure it's well presented and good to go.

Here in the UK we're lucky in that we don't generally have extreme enough climate changes to cause things like fret sprout.

16. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

I think as many have said, it's par for the course, wood moves in temperature, metal doesn't.

But there's no way I'd leave the shop with the guitar needing work, I'd ask the store to fix it prior to me buying it. Especially as it's likely that is the climate in the shop that has created the problem. I get that the guitar may need a set up which I'd happily do myself on an American Fender (they're made for it). But I wouldn't be as content with touching it with a file. So that would cost me money, for something that should be right first time.

The car analogy is fine, but you wouldn't leave the Subaru show room with the car on worn out tyres.

17. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Get it the way you want it. On a new guitar from an authorized dealer there should be NO issues. Walk out the door with a guitar that's the way you want it or walk out with nothing.

18. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I would only marry a girl who was a virgin.
    Not really, but you get the idea, I hope...

RobRiggs likes this.
  19. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

number one: use the fret sprout issue to get a lower price.

number two: fret sprout is actually no big deal at all. put it in a case with a wet sponge and the FS will go away fairly quick. if it doesn't, then have it filed down. but don't be quick with the file - give the wet sponge a couple of days.

20. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

I've done the same thing and questioned myself about it. Some guitars just feel special right away when you pick them up. And when you find one of those that just feel right, to me it is worth getting the flaws fixed. I've played many guitars without flaws that just kind of sound and feel sterile when you play them. So when I find one I like right away, I will change tuners, fix frets, whatever it takes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.