Would you buy a Tele if it only came with one fret size (a size you don't like) and adapt to it?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Sep 12, 2020.

1. dajmacd

dajmacd TDPRI Member

It's more about the overall feel of the instrument for me. I've got guitars with 6230, 6105, 6130 and 6100. If I don't like the overall feel, I'm not buying it in the first place.

Digiplay likes this.
  2. pcovers

pcovers TDPRI Member

I have guitars with various fret sizes, but prefer jumbo if I have the option. Have re-fretted a few guitars just to get the jumbo wire. Philtone in Baltimore always does a great job.

3. Riffchaser

Riffchaser TDPRI Member

I have an American professional 2017, bought used. My favorite guitar now. I think that it came with "narrow tall" sorry I don't remember the fret wire number. I do think that one of the reasons I like it so, is the frets. Sounds great, easy to play neck. Cheers

4. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's

I came up playing a variety of monstrosities and later some nice brand names. They all had different necks and fret size but I never found that to be an obstacle. You can adjust to anything. Trust me

Digiplay likes this.
  5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

And just to prove a point: Yesterday I bought a 24" scale Jaguar with a 9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets and quite a deep 'C' shaped neck. As opposed to my more typical 7.25" radius/vintage frets/25.5" scale and slim C neck Strat (and also my Classic 50s Tele) that I've owned for 38 years. A few minutes playing and I was soon used to it and playing like I'd owned it for years.

Digiplay and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. Bourboncaster

Bourboncaster TDPRI Member

For me it depends on what I’m playing. I’ve had guitars with all sorts of fret wire. Like the op suggested, I can adjust to whatever is in there and I wouldn’t necessarily pass up a great guitar because it didn’t have my favorite frets, but it’s nice to have a few options. If I’m playing mostly leads and have a lot of fast lines to play I prefer a vintage fret (which I know many would see as opposite). Bigger frets are great when I’m playing rhythm and open chords because the really allow you to dig in and just enjoy playing (I can get a little crazy with my strumming [bashing]). I love acoustics with giant frets because they don’t get “slappy” when you get excited. I had a LP with narrow tall frets and it wasn’t my favorite feeling but I played that guitar for years because it always sounded great. Medium jumbos are imho a perfect compromise between huge and tiny frets, they don’t feel like they’re in the way when you need to really move but can take aggressive playing well. While I do have preferences on fret size, the absolute most important thing to me is that they are perfectly level. I 100% can’t stand that one fret that always seems to be 10 or 11 that just wants to grab my ring finger on a slide. Fortunately that’s a much easier fix than a refret. So after all that, no I wouldn’t pass on a great tele if it had fret wire I wasn’t crazy about, I would just sand that sh** down crown and polish until it played, as they say, like butter.

7. Gurmanator

Gurmanator TDPRI Member

Yes, because you get used to them, even the ones you hate. That being said, 6130’s are home for me, mini jumbo. When they get too tall you run into intonation issues if you hold a note too aggressively, it will go sharp and feel like you’re playing a sitar. If that was the only thing holding me back from an otherwise great axe, I would buy it. You always can re fret if it is too uncomfortable and $200 is a small price to get what you really want in this world.

8. Ricardo LV

Ricardo LV TDPRI Member

I wouldn't pass if I really wanted the guitar because you can most always fix fret problems.

I prefer the smaller vintage type frets, and most of my guitars have them. Only one guitar that I bought, a Gibson ES-339, had massive tall and wide frets that I couldn't adapt to. The height gave me terrible intonation problems and the bulk of the frets actually slowed me down as my fingers would drag across the frets. I loved the tone, weight, and look of the guitar otherwise, so, I had a luthier file down the frets so they were like those on my Les Paul, short and wide. The 339 is one of my favorite guitars now.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  9. Karl Beach

Karl Beach TDPRI Member

Since the early 1970s, I've been quickly adapting...often several per day...to many fret sizes on a plethora of guitars...acoustic, electric, and classical (not to mention ukuleles). Not a boast, just an admission of my hobby addiction (I'm now participating in a 12-string recovery program). This said, Leonidas (a.k.a. Leo Fender) pioneered the bolt-on neck to obviate this pressing problem (pun). Rumor has it that this genius, in a previous incarnation, invented the Spartan Xiphos. Rock on!

Digiplay likes this.
  10. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

If I loved the guitar and hated the frets, I would change them out.

11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

From the 50s until the 80s there was only one size frets on any Strat or Tele, and one set of pickups for each too. But, back then there wasn't a litany of instant faceless experts online telling us all what we needed, and that what we had wasn't good enough. We just plugged 'em in, played 'em and loved 'em!

Digiplay, El Tele Lobo and A-440 like this.
  12. telecastasaurus

telecastasaurus TDPRI Member

Assuming you're talking about a new guitar or used with good frets, a big fat wide neck contour means more to me than frets.

13. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You are kidding, right? We are talking about a Telecaster here. :)
    The finest design of any guitar ever. I have guitars with all sorts of fret sizes. Sure I would buy it if it played well.

14. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I did and I did.
    Would I do the same thing 47 years later?
    No.

15. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Yes.

I tried a Tele in a shop a few months ago. I forget now what the fret wire was, but it was bigger than what's on my vintage spec Tele. I thought, "Oh, I'm gonna hate that." About 30 seconds in, the only thing I noticed was the fact I didn't care.

Pax/
    Dean

16. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I tend to not have strong preferences with fret size, radius, or finish. There are some frets I don’t like and I don’t like a thick poly, but outside of that, I can adapt to most necks.

17. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

I like 6230 all day, and dislike guitars now with bigger frets. It’s actually great- not a lot of choices, I save money!

18. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I bought a new Strat (many) years ago that fought any efforts to bend strings. Got used to it, I guess, and played it for (too many) years. Eventually, the frets had to be dressed and that was all she wrote for that one; good for slide or rhythm and not much else. I'm another one who didn't know the difference, at the time, but now that I do know, I want taller frets. Works better for me.

19. Heavyweek

Heavyweek Tele-Meister

No idea.
    I have no idea what size frets are on any of my guitars. Fret sized frets? Im currently actually wondering what sort of neck profile I have on my tele, not a clue about that either. Never really bothered with specs of these things just bought the one I liked. Couldn't tell you what any of it is Im afraid. Except the tele - Bought that cos it was the cheapest one I could find. Though its about to have it's innards ripped out and replaced so should shortly perform like something much more expensive the fret sized frets and stuff are all quite ok.

Digiplay likes this.
  20. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

I'm not good enough to be all that particular. I play regardless of fret size.
    I know the Squier Classic Vibe '50's has small vintage frets. I love 'em.
    I also love all the other frets on my other guitars. And I have no idea what size they are.

Digiplay likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.